FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)
Old Jul 4, 2013, 12:00 pm
guv1976
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by thom1033
Help! Looking for some advice. Flying from LIT to MEL in business (domestic F), tentatively 10/8-10/22. I've been watching fares for a while and all of a sudden, now that I'm ready to book, the AA fares have skyrocketed. I was originally going to just book through AA as I have an account, no longer status, and the AA Citicard. Was shooting for LIT-DFW-LAX-MEL and the reverse. It was running in the ~$7,500 range for 90 day advanced fare, but now all AA it's over $14k. When I look on ITA I can still fly AA domestic and the Qantas flight to MEL for about $7,500, but I have the following questions:

1) Can AA book this flight for me still, the whole route, without using the AA flight number on the Qantas flight? Primarily looking to be on a single reservation should there be any issues getting to LAX.

2) If I book the AA legs separate from the Qantas legs, is there a way to get the two linked up so I can check my bags all the way through?

3) If no to #2, I'm thinking I'd want to leave LIT on 10/7, and spend the night in LA to make absolutely sure I have enough wiggle room to make the 10/8 Qantas flight in case of weather, mechanical delays, etc.

4) What am I missing? I just want to fly, preferably, domestic F and Qantas J for around $8k or less. Really don't want to fly United given all the reviews on the LAX-MEL flights. Plus, I'd love to try the A380.

Please help! Hoping to book today, and feel like I'm missing something obvious!

Thanks.
You should be able to check the bags through to MEL -- even on separate tickets -- as long as you show the AA agent at LIT a printout of your LAX-MEL ticket.

And you will be protected in the event of a misconnection, even on separate tickets:

http://www.aa.com/i18n/agency/Bookin...tkt_policy.jsp