FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)
Old Jul 5, 2013, 1:46 pm
mikee555

AAdvantage citi card free checked bag for spouse?

Hi, This is my first post regarding my issue I had with AA, I tried searching, but could not find an adequate response.

Late last I traveled with my Wife and was offered the AAdvantage citi master card with the fee waived for the first year.
So fantastic, I ordered the card, one for me and one for my wife as an authorized user. Then I created the AAdvantage account in my name (which cannot handle two names on the account)

Anyway, recently my wife went on a trip on her own and used AA, she used her credit card, but it would not let her use the AA advantage number on the account as the name obviously did not match.

The ticket was processed without issue, but at check-in they wanted to charge her the baggage fee.

After going through manual check in, they said that it must be booked with the card and the aadvantage number on the account.
She called me and I gave them the aadvantage account number. Eventually they waived the fee, but said that the account name has to match the credit card name.

Now I don't know what to do, how can associate her name with my account to avoid this problem in the future?

Do I have to create an empty Aadvantage account in her name? But would that the allow the joint credit card to work for the free checked bag or will she need an entirely new card. And if she uses her account, that means that any miles would go into hers, but purchases for the card would go into mine causing a mess.

Anybody else have aadvange with a spouse of family and how do you deal with this problem.

Also, please tell me if I should create a new thread for this topic.
Thank you,
Mikee