Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 13, 2013, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This is the archived, obsolete thread; the current 2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE thread is now a "sticky" thread here .

/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2013, 9:28 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by infamousdx
As a freshly minted EXP, can I cancel an award online via the "Cancel Itinerary" button, will the miles be instantly put back into my account?
I cancelled an Australia itinerary earlier this year and the miles did not redeposit on their own. I would not count on that happening. Easily sorted out with a phone call after or just have an agent handle the whole thing from the start.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 10:40 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, CBP Global Entry, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by SFOPhD
You guessed correctly: Original ticket fare class is used for EQPs..
Thanks SFOPhD. That's what I figured but the flyerguide page seemed to indicate otherwise.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 5:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by flyer703
Thanks SFOPhD. That's what I figured but the flyerguide page seemed to indicate otherwise.
"A" is an unusual fare bucket in that it is used for certain upgrades as well as a paid tickets, but the rule remains the same: you earn EQP based on the original fare paid.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 6:56 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Originally Posted by SFOPhD
No one knows for certain yet because an official announcement has not been made from AA. Hopefully there will be specifics on January 7th.
Do we think that if I have elite qualifying miles in both AA and US in early 2014, then after whatever they decide to do, qualifying miles from both accounts will merge? If not, I'd rather just credit my US flights to UA.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by agp423
Do we think that if I have elite qualifying miles in both AA and US in early 2014, then after whatever they decide to do, qualifying miles from both accounts will merge? If not, I'd rather just credit my US flights to UA.
At some point in the future, it is safe to assume the AA/US programs will completely merge - and there will be no option of crediting UA for "new AA" flights - but that information is not yet public so its impossible to say when that will happen.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 10:57 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Yes, you used to be able to do this, but AA eliminated this loophole (as well as the one that allowed customers to circumvent the close-in ticketing fee for award travel) a few years ago.

It's not a scam; it's the elimination of a loophole. If you use an agent's time and make a reservation by phone, your ticketing options are: 1) by phone; 2) at an AA airport ticket office; or 3) at an AA "Travel Center" in NYC or South Florida. Each option has different fees.

On the plus side, AA has slowly been increasing the number of airline partners bookable for award travel on aa.com.
Interesting. I swear I did this once or twice last year, but maybe my memory is failing me. Thankfully the original fare returned on AA.com so I was able to put it on hold online and avoid the fee. Thanks for the info though. Lesson learned!
Old Jan 1, 2014, 5:38 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
I want to fly from US to HKG in CX F, which is 67,500 miles one way. Does having the AAdvantage Platinum card mean I can fly for fewer miles?
Old Jan 1, 2014, 5:50 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
Originally Posted by agp423
I want to fly from US to HKG in CX F, which is 67,500 miles one way. Does having the AAdvantage Platinum card mean I can fly for fewer miles?
Having the Citi Platinum Select / AAdvantage credit card unfortunately does not mean that the initial upfront cost of miles is cheaper. You will get a 10% rebate (up to 10k miles a year) after the mileage redemption. In your case, once you pay 67,500 miles, you will get a statement credit of 6,750 miles soon afterward. Rebate time varies, but ranges from a few days to a few weeks.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 8:08 pm
Used to be 'IAD22066'

Programs: UA 1K AA
MD-80s

I haven't flown on AA for years, primarily because of the MD-80s. There is probably a thread out there but I haven't found it yet. When will AA finally retire its MD-80s? I've had to many experiences where I've sat In the last four rows of an MD-80 in the darkness between the two engines. There are other reasons. But the MD-80 experience is the main one.

That was several years ago when I used AA to fly home from IAD or DCA via DFW to AUS (or ACT or ILE via vomit comet) using my parents AAdvantage miles. I am now a United 1K/GS but the direct flight wasn't much better in a long Embraer regional jet. I'm mainly asking when those MD-80s will be gone?

Some other observations...

I doesn't seem like there are any direct flights between IAD and DEN and between IAD and SFO. Will those ever happen with the US Air merger?

Has DFW improved? I never liked that airport. It's almost as bad as terminals C and D at IAD (and I'm jealous of how AA is now in the Terminal A/B building. One thing that could be easily improved at DFW is the food at DFW. If you're going to be in Texas, it would be good to be able to get Texas food. If you've ever been to AUS, they have good BBQ, Schlotzshky's, and Amy's ice cream. DFW. DFW had Haagen Daazs and Pepsi during my last vist.

I'd like to fly AA again (I am a Texan). I just wonder what has changed.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 9:19 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by IAD22066
I doesn't seem like there are any direct flights between IAD and DEN and between IAD and SFO. Will those ever happen with the US Air merger?
Those are routes between UA hubs. I'd be surprised if AA ramps up there. They've already cancelled SFO-BOS and SFO-HNL the last few years and UA has a strong presence on those routes. Just don't see them taking on UA.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 6:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
I haven't flown on AA for years, primarily because of the MD-80s. There is probably a thread out there but I haven't found it yet. When will AA finally retire its MD-80s? I've had to many experiences where I've sat In the last four rows of an MD-80 in the darkness between the two engines. There are other reasons. But the MD-80 experience is the main one.

That was several years ago when I used AA to fly home from IAD or DCA via DFW to AUS (or ACT or ILE via vomit comet) using my parents AAdvantage miles. I am now a United 1K/GS but the direct flight wasn't much better in a long Embraer regional jet. I'm mainly asking when those MD-80s will be gone?

Some other observations...

Has DFW improved? I never liked that airport. It's almost as bad as terminals C and D at IAD (and I'm jealous of how AA is now in the Terminal A/B building. One thing that could be easily improved at DFW is the food at DFW. If you're going to be in Texas, it would be good to be able to get Texas food. If you've ever been to AUS, they have good BBQ, Schlotzshky's, and Amy's ice cream. DFW. DFW had Haagen Daazs and Pepsi during my last vist.

I'd like to fly AA again (I am a Texan). I just wonder what has changed.
I'm not sure of the MD-80 retirement date. The replacements are beginning, but there are still lots of them in the system, especially on DFW routes. If you do try AA and get an MD80, you can pay for a preferred or main cabin extra seat, either of which will be up front. The MD 80 is actually a decent plane for coach, if you aren't way in the back.

DFW has improved. I'm not sure when you last trip through was, but the old train has been replaced by a newer faster airside skylink that runs both directions. The new terminal D, which AA shares, is very nice, and has lots of local food options. The food in terminals A and C are still mostly national chains.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 7:56 am
Suspended

DFW had Haagen Daazs and Pepsi during my last vist.
What is un-Texan about Pepsi?
Old Jan 2, 2014, 8:48 am
Used to be 'IAD22066'

Programs: UA 1K AA
Thank you

Tom911, Swag, AustinRunner,

Thank you for getting back to me on this. It really helps.

@AustinRunner... Pepsi is based in New York and the only place that I've seen it so prevalent is up north. I barely see Pepsi outside the airport. As long as I can get Dr. pepper at DFW I'm happy. If I'm going to have to endure a four hour layover at a Texas airport, one should be able to get Blue Bell.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,

If I'm going to have to endure a four hour layover at a Texas airport, one should be able to get Blue Bell.
Try the DFW Travel Mart convenience stores, or the Grove soda fountain in terminal D.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 9:36 am

Programs: AA ExPlat; Other Stuff
How long after obtaining ExPlat are the SWU's available? I'm trying to book an international flight soon and they aren't showing up in my account yet. I achieved status on 12/30 and my account reflects the new status.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.