Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

2013 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 20, 2013, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST. Wikipost instructions: signed in members can minimize or maximize Wikipost by clicking on [-] or [+] box upper right of post; moderators can edit this Wikipost.

Welcome. This thread has been archived; please visit the 2014 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation (consolidated)
Print Wikipost

2013 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2013, 8:16 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by dittymau
when I was delayed 10 hours LAX-NRT what should I have received as compensation?
Probably some miles. AA is pretty good about that when the delay is significant providing it's not a weather delay.

When I was delayed 3 1/2 days NYC-DFW after 32 inches of snow, what should I have received as compensation?
A free trip to a warm destination? We all know the contract of carriage is going to save AA for providing compensation here.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 8:33 am

Programs: AA, TrueBlue, Miles and More
Delayed Flights and no compensation - AA [LONG]

I don't understand where I was being rude in my original email.... I thought I pretty much wrote it very passive...?!

To the person claiming a 3.5 day delay or a 10 hour delay .... During Sandy, I was flying on United from MUM to BOS. UA put me in a 4 star in LON for 2 days, then a night at ORD.

Also, I wouldn't have even bother to write up something if it was weather related.

To the person claiming the delay was because they were waiting for connecting passengers, the delay for connecting passengers was 15 minutes, they bparded everybody and then the captain called on a mechanic for mechanical issue ... Not sure where you got your info.
The rule wasn't something I invented. When my wife talked to one of the FA, she asked her to mention it.

Yes, I have mostly only been using Jblu or UA lately.Last AA I've taken I think was spring 2012. My wife booked tickets this trip and she thought she would start off with the AAdvantage program herself...
Old Feb 22, 2013, 8:46 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by therealintellectual
I don't understand where I was being rude in my original email.... I thought I pretty much wrote it very passive...?!
To be clear, no one said "rude." I said "demanding." Case in point

Originally Posted by your email
in accordance with rule 240, please process the refund/voucher for this delayed flight claim.
You cited a non-applicable rule and then pretty much demanded (using nice wording, but still comes across to me as a demand) a refund to which you were not entitled.

I didn't find your email rude at all, just misinformed and inappropriately-tones as a result.

Cheers.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 9:01 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Taking the last flight of the day in Winter out of ORD... a recipe for delays and conducive to delays caused by everything from weather to ground holds to knock-on effects piling up throughout the day. 1.5 hours is not an unusual delay. Misquoting rules, not very conducive to compensation. Sorry about the delay and frustration, but these will occur on any airline.

As to the response, I felt it was informative and well written.

We'll be merging this into the consolidated compensation thread.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 9:09 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM
Originally Posted by therealintellectual
in accordance with rule 240, please process the refund/voucher for this delayed flight claim.
Not sure what the complaint is, therealintellectual received exactly what was requested--a refund/voucher to the amount designated in rule 240. If the OP wanted more than nada, perhaps that's what should have been requested.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by wolf539
Go with Jet Blue or UA next time as I'm sure they're never, ever delayed.
OP doesn't claim JetBlue or UA are never delayed--he says they deal with delays better than AA.

I personally find AA's delay handling, which mostly consists of giving random amounts of miles to a random subset of people affected by delays, pretty infuriating, so it wouldn't be hard to beat.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 4:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, KrisFlyer Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Chase Private Client
Late AA flight results in missed flight with other carrier

AA941 MIA-SAP was late two hours yesterday due to the original aircraft being put out of service. The maintenance issue caused two passengers to miss our flight SAP-RTB (CM Airlines) which was the last one of the day. We lost a day in Roatan and had to purchase a hotel (in SAP) and new flights via Taca.

I understand AA doesn't have an obligation to me once they get me to SAP since I wasn't connecting with them. Yet, I've had AAdvantage compensate me for a similar situation in the past, but I can't remember what I received? Any suggestions on what I should go after them for would be appreciated.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Going by this, they are SOL:

http://www.aa.com/i18n/agency/Bookin...tkt_policy.jsp

Changes to itineraries for passengers holding separate tickets:

AA to/from Non- one
world® Carrier

Schedule Irregularity procedures and AA Conditions of Carriage do not apply to separate tickets purchased by the customer as part of their journey. Example: customer holds a ticket from ABQ-ORD-ABQ on AA (001 ticket stock) and a separate ticket on another carrier for continuing travel from ORD. If the AA flight is late or cancelled, AA has no responsibility for onward travel on a separate ticket for travel on a non- oneworld carrier. Advise customers who may be affected that they will need to work separately with the other airline for assistance.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 5:04 pm

Programs: AA SPG Amex
Originally Posted by serfty
Going by this, they are SOL:

http://www.aa.com/i18n/agency/Bookin...tkt_policy.jsp

Changes to itineraries for passengers holding separate tickets:

AA to/from Non- one
world® Carrier

Schedule Irregularity procedures and AA Conditions of Carriage do not apply to separate tickets purchased by the customer as part of their journey. Example: customer holds a ticket from ABQ-ORD-ABQ on AA (001 ticket stock) and a separate ticket on another carrier for continuing travel from ORD. If the AA flight is late or cancelled, AA has no responsibility for onward travel on a separate ticket for travel on a non- oneworld carrier. Advise customers who may be affected that they will need to work separately with the other airline for assistance.
Well, I interpret this slightly differently. I see it as AA absolving itself of responsibility for any onward air travel disrupted by AA schedule irregularities. What I see no mention of is incidental expenses incurred as a result of AA's delays. Under this more narrow interpretation I see the hotel as potentially fair game for some kind of reimbursement. Irregardless of the OP's continuing non-AA/OW ticket the fact that AA made the OP late meant s/he couldn't proceed with planned activities and was forced to book an extra night of a hotel room.

While I doubt this is how AA would interpret that paragraph I think it's worth a shot.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 5:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, KrisFlyer Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Chase Private Client
Originally Posted by Upgraded!
Well, I interpret this slightly differently. I see it as AA absolving itself of responsibility for any onward air travel disrupted by AA schedule irregularities. What I see no mention of is incidental expenses incurred as a result of AA's delays. Under this more narrow interpretation I see the hotel as potentially fair game for some kind of reimbursement. Irregardless of the OP's continuing non-AA/OW ticket the fact that AA made the OP late meant s/he couldn't proceed with planned activities and was forced to book an extra night of a hotel room.

While I doubt this is how AA would interpret that paragraph I think it's worth a shot.
Thanks for your input. Yes, by the law I'm SOL, as AA only has a contract with me to SAP. That said, I was compensated ($150 voucher?) for a similar situation in the past. Considering the number of maintenance related delays (I had 3 in the last week) I believe it's worth asking for out of pocket expenses (~$300) to be covered with a voucher?

Last edited by jaytmoore; Feb 23, 2013 at 5:36 pm
Old Feb 23, 2013, 5:37 pm

As far as AA is concerned, the OP was booked to SAP and AA got him/her there. A 2-hour delay doesn't change the hotel or other overnight arrangements the OP presumably had in SAP. Why would they consider that the OP was "forced to book an extra night of a hotel room"?

If the OP deserves compensation, every passenger on every slightly delayed flight can similarly demand money.

If you buy separate tickets, you're on your own. Doing so with such a tight connection is crazy.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 6:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP's itinerary terminated in SAP and AA got him there 2 hours late. In the good ole days, either by mistake or just because of a CS gesture, AA might have doled out a hotel voucher. But, those days are gone.

OP is lucky because in some parts of the world, not showing for the xSAP results in cancellation of that itinerary with no refund.

It's always best either to book a single ticket or allow a much bigger "layover" when concluding and starting separate itineraries as opposed to connecting.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 6:20 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Plat, VS Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
If you buy separate tickets, you're on your own. Doing so with such a tight connection is crazy.
Note that, unlike the other US based carriers with their respective alliances, AA will protect you on separate tickets if you are connecting to a OneWorld airline.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 7:46 pm

Programs: AA SPG Amex
Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
As far as AA is concerned, the OP was booked to SAP and AA got him/her there. A 2-hour delay doesn't change the hotel or other overnight arrangements the OP presumably had in SAP. Why would they consider that the OP was "forced to book an extra night of a hotel room"?

If the OP deserves compensation, every passenger on every slightly delayed flight can similarly demand money.

My only point was that airline delays are responsible for a variety of additional expenses incurred by pax and the OP should present this as a more generic "AA got me there X hours late and it cost me Y dollars" as opposed to "AA got me in late so I missed my connecting flight on another, non-partner carrier, on a separate ticket and I should be compensated for that".

The excerpt from the CoC is worded such that it speaks more to AA not being responsible for providing/arranging transportation under a scenario like the OP's rather than dealing with out of pocket expenses related to delays. A lot of things are about how you present them and reading between the lines suggests that the OP may have more success by dealing with/emphasizing certain aspects of the story over others.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 10:36 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat / LT Plat / 3MM, Delta Plat, Bonvoy LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by oopsz
Note that, unlike the other US based carriers with their respective alliances, AA will protect you on separate tickets if you are connecting to a OneWorld airline.
That's good to know. In December, we purchased a ticket from LBB-DFW on AA, then used Amex miles to buy a ticket from DFW-SYD on QF. The LBB-DFW flight was cancelled and I was told, you can run over to the Southwest counter and buy a full fare ticket and then figure out how your going to get from LUV-DFW.

That's what we did but there was no offer to re-accomodate the flight. Also had a connection on AA FF miles from SYD-BNE. So would have missed the international leg and a domestic Australia leg.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.