Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

aa.com Economy / Coach Pricing Display & Choice Bundles (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 13, 2012, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost to update; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner).

AA is now offering three types of Economy fares via AA.com:

Choice (fare basis code ends in 1) = Lowest Fare, earn AA miles
Choice Essential (fare basis code ends in 2) = Change Fee (depends on detailed fare rules), 1 Checked Bag, Group 1 Boarding, Earn AA miles
Choice Plus (fare basis code ends in 7) = above Choice Essential benefits plus 50% Bonus RDM, Same-Day Flight Change, Same-Day Standby, Premium Beverage, No Change Fee, Earns base miles plus 50% bonus miles
Business/First as Choice Plus, plus 3 checked bags, No change fee (domestic only), priority baggage delivery at carousel, 50% class of service bonus miles

(Updated 1 Mar 2015)

See this page at aa.com for bundled services.

AmericanAirlines has posted some comments and clarifications in Post 144.

Originally Posted by hillrider
(1Mar 2015) The fee for the "choice plus" bundled extra now ranges from $80-80 each way, up from $80.

Choice plus extras are comprised of:
  • 1 checked bag
  • Group 1 Boarding
  • No change fee (any difference in fares would still apply; valid for American Airlines operated flights)
  • Same-day flight change
  • Same-day standby
  • Premium beverage on board
  • Earn 50% more AAdvantage miles
See these related links:

AA.com: Tailor Your Travel | Enhance Your Travel with Combined Features

FT: AA economy fare basis now ends with a number
Print Wikipost

aa.com Economy / Coach Pricing Display & Choice Bundles (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:39 am

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, HHonors Diamond, National Executive
I had the same issue with having it show a negative price on the return, so I messed around with it a little.

I was booking DFW-RNO and the default times it sets when you search are "morning" and "afternoon." Under these settings, I got a price of $559 on the outbound and a -$91 on the return (early in the am) for a total of $468.

When I searched again but changed the times to "morning" and "early morning" it then shifted the outbound price to $468 instead of $559 and the return price to "Included."

So I think what's happening is that it's looking at the times that are set when searching and giving roundtrip prices based on that time window.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:53 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt DM, SPG GLD, Hertz 5*, AMEX PLT, GE
Originally Posted by LucWise

So I think what's happening is that it's looking at the times that are set when searching and giving roundtrip prices based on that time window.
If that's the case, AA should fix that immediately. Just remove that filter for time of day from how the roundtrip price is determined. If they want to show the lowest price, show the lowest price on the dates selected. Done.

Given how complicated fares are, I'm starting to take back my earlier praise for the new design.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:07 am

Programs: SPG PLAT, HYATT DIAMOND, AVIS CC, AA EXP
I'm sorry to say as a loyal EXP this website absolutely is terrible now - I want my old website back!
Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:14 am

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold
Originally Posted by Ord Liza
I feel like, in effect, I am being asked to pay more for the no-change-fee option (the only one that would interest me) than a non-status customer. I have already "paid" for the ability to take free bags and to priority board and to standby same day and to have a premium beverage by purchasing enough tickets to obtain status. Now, in order to get no change fee, I have to pay for them again.
I completely agree. They need to discount this for elite members otherwise they are eroding incentives to keep/attain elite status. I know for myself with this change, there's no way I'll try to keep loyal to AA if I have to pay $68 for just no change fee, when non-elites pay the same price, and get MUCH more benefit from it.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:15 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by nomaadic
who checks 3 bags anyway? I can't imagine many people having a need for this.
You obviously have never traveled with a daughter going to college.

Anyway I sent a stern note to AA.com web support about the sorting problem and got a response shortly thereafter. The rep apologized but promised only to send the feedback up the chain of command. I think the more feedback they get from more channels the better. Once the media pick it up it there will have to be a mea culpa from AA like what resulted from Apple's maps fiasco, which was a similarly inept decision.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:40 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, Hertz 5*, HHonors Diamond
Joining in the chorus here. I hate, HATE HATE this new online reservations system!

I loved the ability to see one-way fares before. It really helped me put together the most cost-effective trip possible. Sometimes choosing a flight two hours later, or a flight with a different connection, or changing the outbound or return by a day made all the difference. Like others, sometimes I want to fly one class on the outbound and a different class on the return. Or I was willing to pay a bit more for a more convenience connection, and I could make that choice because I could clearly see how much that more convenient connection would cost. Now I can't see any of those options at all. This new "bundled" thing is completely opaque. It's like I'm just supposed to throw a dart at the screen and go with it.

And as an EXP, I really couldn't care less about all these add-on options. Don't need 'em, don't want 'em, don't care about 'em.

Whoever decided to just pull the rug out from under us and spring this "enhancement" on loyal AA flyers with no warning is completely out of touch with their FF customer base. We are sophisticated buyers and we need to be able to make sophisticated choices. This new oversimplified, dumbed-down, take-it-or-leave-it system is utter crap!
Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:54 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Originally Posted by Stripe
from Apple's maps fiasco, which was a similarly inept decision.
Off topic, but Google Maps has finally been released as an iOS app. It's in the app store now. It's easier to use than the prior iOS Google Maps and does include Street View. I really like it!

FYI

Now, back to AA's new webpages.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 12:09 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime GS, AA EXP 1 MM, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat, Hyatt Gold, Hertz 5Star PC
Let me join the chorus in reviling this new fare display. I tried to do a simple R/T from my home to LA this morning and ended up with a fare of "-$349". Does that mean they will pay ME for flying? Just for the fun of it, I tried to make the reservation and suddenly it popped up at $439. What the h*ll?
Old Dec 13, 2012, 12:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
I used to enjoy looking for fares on aa.com. That joy is now gone, and it has been replaced with anger and frustration. Thank you AA.

Last edited by justforfun; Dec 13, 2012 at 12:23 pm
Old Dec 13, 2012, 12:55 pm

Programs: AA PLT, UA GLD
ugly, hard to read, hard to understand, and I did a quick quote:
SFO - AUS 12/22 - 1/1, cheapest is $1310? (had to click on 16xx then return -386).

google flights showed $650 or so on same dates and I could click book at aa.com at this price.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 1:20 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExPlat LT Gold, BA Silver, Aegean Star Gold
Response from Webservices to my complaint from last night

We appreciate you taking the time to share your concerns regarding our
new Site ReDesign. I'm sorry that you are disappointed with the changes.

Please know that we pay close attention to comments, like yours, so that
we may better gauge trends in the industry and meet the needs of our
passengers. Rest assured that all feedback on to the appropriate
management team for their review
Slightly odd writing in the response... I guess I'll just use Google.com/Flights to book my AA flights since it redirects me to the payment page and I put it on hold...
Old Dec 13, 2012, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
response to my complaint

I specifically addressed the issue of one way fares and F pricing, and rec'd the following response:

We appreciate you writing to share your concerns regarding our new Site ReDesign. I'm sorry that you do not feel the changes to be user
friendly.

When searching for upgrade fares you would select the 'Business/First'
tab. This will show 'Instant upgrade, First, and First Flexible' fares.

The changes to the way our fare's display were brought about from
customer suggestions and feedback. Our customers have told us that they
prefer to see the overall price of a roundtrip displayed when using the
search by 'Price & Schedule'. We do still offer the ability to search by
'Flight' to select the best flight for your particular needs.

Please know that all feedback will be shared with the appropriate
management team for their review.

Thanks again for writing to AA.com. You are a valued customer and we
are working hard to create a convenient travel experience for you. From
logging on to taking off, American Airlines wants to be your airline of
choice.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 1:42 pm

Programs: AA explat 5.6 MM, Hilton Diamond for life
WOW, is this new system bad. Working in LA and living in Dallas meant that many times I would book in economy going out and instant upgrade coming home (to avoid the possiblilty of not getting my upgrade), this new systems seem to not allow that. That means it is going to have to be economy for me all the time.

Short sighted at best.

Please Play Stars!!
Old Dec 13, 2012, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dayone
Some of those who fawned over now-CIO Maya Leibman may want to take it down a notch.

It's hard for me to believe that the new look was focus-grouped by actual AA frequent travelers prior to release.
Culpable as charged. As much as it's practically useless, the new site is blazingly fast!
Old Dec 13, 2012, 1:52 pm

Programs: UA Premier Silver, AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by dayone
It's hard for me to believe that the new look was focus-grouped by actual AA frequent travelers prior to release.
Totally agree. Hard to believe these focus-groups included actual in-depth usability studies.

After the debacle that the United.com site became, I started flying AA to complement my existing QF and SQ flying and only book Biz or First fares with AA. Even with the IRROPS this fall, I've enjoyed AA so far. Even made Platinum and was planning to be Exec Platinum next year. Why they chose to disable the ability to sort, see all fares on a single page, or select separate one-way classes of service, I'll never know.

In the end, after trying to book my January travel this morning on the "new" AA.com and becoming so frustrated, I moved onto to different carriers. Total revenue loss to AA ≈ $47,465. Ouch!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.