Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

aa.com Economy / Coach Pricing Display & Choice Bundles (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 13, 2012, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost to update; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner).

AA is now offering three types of Economy fares via AA.com:

Choice (fare basis code ends in 1) = Lowest Fare, earn AA miles
Choice Essential (fare basis code ends in 2) = Change Fee (depends on detailed fare rules), 1 Checked Bag, Group 1 Boarding, Earn AA miles
Choice Plus (fare basis code ends in 7) = above Choice Essential benefits plus 50% Bonus RDM, Same-Day Flight Change, Same-Day Standby, Premium Beverage, No Change Fee, Earns base miles plus 50% bonus miles
Business/First as Choice Plus, plus 3 checked bags, No change fee (domestic only), priority baggage delivery at carousel, 50% class of service bonus miles

(Updated 1 Mar 2015)

See this page at aa.com for bundled services.

AmericanAirlines has posted some comments and clarifications in Post 144.

Originally Posted by hillrider
(1Mar 2015) The fee for the "choice plus" bundled extra now ranges from $80-80 each way, up from $80.

Choice plus extras are comprised of:
  • 1 checked bag
  • Group 1 Boarding
  • No change fee (any difference in fares would still apply; valid for American Airlines operated flights)
  • Same-day flight change
  • Same-day standby
  • Premium beverage on board
  • Earn 50% more AAdvantage miles
See these related links:

AA.com: Tailor Your Travel | Enhance Your Travel with Combined Features

FT: AA economy fare basis now ends with a number
Print Wikipost

aa.com Economy / Coach Pricing Display & Choice Bundles (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2012, 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by Spock Seat
Thanks for screwing me up with a Xmas Eve booking that is actually an overnight connection making me arrive at my destination a day after Xmas. Naturally it is my fault for not reading it properly, however, the "warning" is in small gray, practically invisible print. The original way had that booking in a yellow square to warn about it.
Were the times in the same font? I fail to see how AA's new website interface booked you on poor flight times.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 5:55 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro/4MM Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by AmericanAirlines
Hi everyone!

We wanted to stop by to let you know that we are monitoring your feedback to the launch of our enhanced booking options. The feedback recorded so far has been very valuable, so please continue to share your thoughts.

We would also like to clear up some of the questions that have been posed in this thread so far.

In regards to the ability to filter and sort flight search results:
We will continue to gather customer feedback and optimize the new shopping experience so that customers can efficiently find the flights and options that best suit their individual needs. Additional enhancements will be introduced in the near future.

Please continue to let us know if you have more questions about these changes. Thank you!
PLEASE bring back sorting for flights ASAP. This decision/tactic makes me want to switch to/book with other airlines and not even give you time to fix it. It's unacceptable.

I'm a business traveler which means my time is money and sorting to find "Shortest Travel Time" is mandatory. With your new random "you pick for me" system, you're wasting my time. And, having me need to call up the EXP Desk to find the shortest flights (rather than manually through every single flight I want to book to find the shortest,) I'm wasting yours.

It's 2012 and this is the Internet. Sorting is not an option, it's a *must*. Please fix this now. I'm incredibly disappointed that this is one of the first changes for the "New American" and that you think removing sorting is OK for your "bread and butter" customers.

EDIT: If you don't want to have this sort available for every customer, why not add a setting for AA.com's My Account Reservation Preferences to allow me to “Sort search results by:”?

Last edited by macguitar; Dec 12, 2012 at 6:11 pm
Old Dec 12, 2012, 6:19 pm

Programs: AA LifeTime PLT (2.982 MM, But 3MM+ Total), HHonors GOLD, IHG AMB
Originally Posted by NYCQuaker
Were the times in the same font? I fail to see how AA's new website interface booked you on poor flight times.
As I said, it was my fault for not reading the booking properly.

In this case, the departure time was 7:45pm. I thought it was 7:45am to connect in LAX. The old system had a warning sign in red to know of the connection difference, plus the box was highlighted in yellow. The new "Silicon Valley junkie" way has the warning in light gray, nearly invisible lettering with the box not shaded in a different color at all.

Given the page freeze with the twirlie thing in the middle for hypnotic purposes against the intelligence of customers, didn't help me catch it.

To fix it (i.e.: bump one day behind), the fares are much higher. Ahh. Have to be Santa's sleigh for Boxing Day now.

No thanks AA for any change to the website when it already worked fine.

Spock Seat. @:-)
Old Dec 12, 2012, 6:19 pm

Programs: AA SPG Amex
The single dumbest part is the idea that they have the "choice", "choice essential" and "choice plus" categories for both nonrefundable and refundable fares. Having all of the add-ons with essentially the same M fare basis for refundable is just silly and makes it impossible to keep track of stuff.

However I think the biggest problem is that they don't make certain things very clear, such as the fact that fares are now based on roundtrip prices. I thought all of the discount F fares had just doubled ! Even saying "from" as a precursor to each price would have been a good clue.

The only thing I think is actually helpful is that when you click on any one of the headings you can compare what you get with each fare type and you can show the comparison based on your status. However all that serves to do is mitigate what the aa.com team screwed up in the first place.

Oh yea, and in terms of product offerings, I cannot even begin to comment on how utterly stupid it is to give the $1,060 "choice plus" refundable M fare on ORD-LAX a third checked bag while the full Y fare, at $2,644, only gets two. Someone should be fired for that oversight alone.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 6:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

That the FULL round trip fare is displayed is very good imo rather than having part prices ; at least the price you see up front is the price you pay

I think that anyone with even below average IQ should be able to comprehend what they have purchased and hardly "impossible to keep track of stuff"
Old Dec 12, 2012, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by macguitar
PLEASE bring back sorting for flights ASAP. This decision/tactic makes me want to switch to/book with other airlines and not even give you time to fix it. It's unacceptable.

I'm a business traveler which means my time is money and sorting to find "Shortest Travel Time" is mandatory. With your new random "you pick for me" system, you're wasting my time. And, having me need to call up the EXP Desk to find the shortest flights (rather than manually through every single flight I want to book to find the shortest,) I'm wasting yours.

It's 2012 and this is the Internet. Sorting is not an option, it's a *must*. Please fix this now. I'm incredibly disappointed that this is one of the first changes for the "New American" and that you think removing sorting is OK for your "bread and butter" customers.

EDIT: If you don't want to have this sort available for every customer, why not add a setting for AA.com's My Account Reservation Preferences to allow me to “Sort search results by:”?
This is a great cut-and-paste for you, as an EXP, to put on www.aa.com/customerrelations
Old Dec 12, 2012, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Spock Seat
In this case, the departure time was 7:45pm. I thought it was 7:45am [...]
Little did I know that I'd get the first victim of this glaring oversight within 10 hours of writing my post!
Originally Posted by hillrider
There doesn't seem to be an option to turn off the confusing am/pm display and use the global 24 hour notation.

Last edited by hillrider; Dec 12, 2012 at 6:41 pm Reason: Added quote to my post
Old Dec 12, 2012, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Upgraded!
Oh yea, and in terms of product offerings, I cannot even begin to comment on how utterly stupid it is to give the $1,060 "choice plus" refundable M fare on ORD-LAX a third checked bag while the full Y fare, at $2,644, only gets two. Someone should be fired for that oversight alone.
Couldn't agree more. And knowing AA's bureaucracy this bit of idiocy was approved by zillion of people. With this Horton (or Parker) should have it easy to do some additional people cost cutting!
Old Dec 12, 2012, 6:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA 1K, Marriott/SPG Platinum Elite
Did anybody notice that when you click for more details on the new fare descriptions, the matrix that pops up has a row at the very bottom called "Systemwide Upgrade Eligible". Sounds like this could be a precursor to only certain inventory classes being eligible for SWUs. Yikes.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 6:52 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
That the FULL round trip fare is displayed is very good imo rather than having part prices ; at least the price you see up front is the price you pay
Not at all. Being able to price each direction separately was a nice improvement when they made it. Taking that away is a step in the wrong direction. There is no doubt that things are clear at present, but flexibility has been lost. Since the have the per-direction information, it might be nice to have a separate account-specific settings page to allow selection of the preferred option. I can see preferences falling on both sides of this, especially since the per-direction flexibility has been around for a couple of years.

Cheers.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I strongly prefer being able to decide between Y and F each way based on price. Let's say I'm interested in booking SJC-DFW, the roundtrip price offered is 600 for Y and 1000 for F. I then look at it one way and see that SJC-DFW is 400 in Y and 500 in F, but DFW-SJC, is 200 in Y and 500 F. I may well opt for F on the outbound and Y on the return.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 7:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by mmjaysee
Did anybody notice that when you click for more details on the new fare descriptions, the matrix that pops up has a row at the very bottom called "Systemwide Upgrade Eligible". Sounds like this could be a precursor to only certain inventory classes being eligible for SWUs. Yikes.
uh oh
Old Dec 12, 2012, 7:12 pm

Programs: AA Bonsai EXP (2.9 MM), AS MVPG
Originally Posted by bdemaria
I strongly prefer being able to decide between Y and F each way based on price. Let's say I'm interested in booking SJC-DFW, the roundtrip price offered is 600 for Y and 1000 for F. I then look at it one way and see that SJC-DFW is 400 in Y and 500 in F, but DFW-SJC, is 200 in Y and 500 F. I may well opt for F on the outbound and Y on the return.
Agree completely. I often pay for first for my personal travel, and I use something very close to this calculus when deciding whether to pay for First or pay for coach and gamble on upgrades.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 7:23 pm

Programs: WN, AA, HHonors Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by macguitar
PLEASE bring back sorting for flights ASAP. .....I'm incredibly disappointed that this is one of the first changes for the "New American" and that you think removing sorting is OK for your "bread and butter" customers.
^

That's EXACTLY how I feel. I want - NEED - the ability to sort flights ASAP. And I hate having to search for the departing/return flight combination I want. Just let me pick it myself.

Last edited by AJSpark; Dec 12, 2012 at 8:17 pm
Old Dec 12, 2012, 7:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA 1K, Marriott/SPG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by AJSpark
^

That's EXACTLY how I feel. I want - NEED - the ability to sort flights ASAP.
I've been using Kayak and choosing AA only. It's pretty pathetic that I can't use AA.com.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.