Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

aa.com Economy / Coach Pricing Display & Choice Bundles (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 13, 2012, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost to update; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner).

AA is now offering three types of Economy fares via AA.com:

Choice (fare basis code ends in 1) = Lowest Fare, earn AA miles
Choice Essential (fare basis code ends in 2) = Change Fee (depends on detailed fare rules), 1 Checked Bag, Group 1 Boarding, Earn AA miles
Choice Plus (fare basis code ends in 7) = above Choice Essential benefits plus 50% Bonus RDM, Same-Day Flight Change, Same-Day Standby, Premium Beverage, No Change Fee, Earns base miles plus 50% bonus miles
Business/First as Choice Plus, plus 3 checked bags, No change fee (domestic only), priority baggage delivery at carousel, 50% class of service bonus miles

(Updated 1 Mar 2015)

See this page at aa.com for bundled services.

AmericanAirlines has posted some comments and clarifications in Post 144.

Originally Posted by hillrider
(1Mar 2015) The fee for the "choice plus" bundled extra now ranges from $80-80 each way, up from $80.

Choice plus extras are comprised of:
  • 1 checked bag
  • Group 1 Boarding
  • No change fee (any difference in fares would still apply; valid for American Airlines operated flights)
  • Same-day flight change
  • Same-day standby
  • Premium beverage on board
  • Earn 50% more AAdvantage miles
See these related links:

AA.com: Tailor Your Travel | Enhance Your Travel with Combined Features

FT: AA economy fare basis now ends with a number
Print Wikipost

aa.com Economy / Coach Pricing Display & Choice Bundles (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2012, 9:44 pm

Programs: AA Bonsai EXP (2.9 MM), AS MVPG
1) The inability to sort is absolutely awful. I will find another booking engine for AA flights until this is fixed- or I'll call and have AAgents run through all the prices and times.

2) The inability to see clearly the 1-way fares obfuscates which segments are contributing to the round trip fare. This really appears to be intentionally deceptive despite AA's assurance that this is supposed to provide greater transparency.

I remain happy with AA and AAdvantage, but the "enhanced" AA.com is bad.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 9:45 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by sukn
Well if you recall, a while back AA did introduce inventory restrictions on eVIPs but eventually retreated from that policy. The biggest problem with inventory restrictions is that you are basically asking customers to pay more for the opportunity to be placed on an upgrade list with no guarantee the upgrade is going to happen.
Actually, there were some fares that were ineligible for SWU upgrades for as long as I've been EXP, as opposed to having been an added restriction (of course it could have been added 8 or so years ago). Q fares to Asia come to mind. I don't recall anything that wasn't restricted being added then removed since then (but I may have blocked that if it did happen ). And, yes, I realize what this amounts to. The same situation as some (all?) other airlines offering free international upgrades have.

Cheers.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 9:46 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
Originally Posted by carlosdca
Other websites don't show the new options (choice +, choice essential, etc).
So for example when you click on Kayak on some selected flights, kayak will redirect you to the aa.com purchase page that does not show any of the new options.

So yes, I think AA wants people to use their interface to search for prices and be able to show you all the new options.
I can go to ITA matrix to find my itinerary, then return to AA.com and select exactly what I need.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ilovetofly
I was playing around with the new fare structure. Could someone please explain to me the following screencap?
Yes, the authors of it can (or at least should). Contact www.aa.com/customerrelations.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 9:50 pm

Programs: AA Bonsai EXP (2.9 MM), AS MVPG
Originally Posted by vasantn
I had to click on a fare of $4000 RT on the first page and then hunt for a return itinerary giving me a $2700 credit on the next page... Really intuitive - NOT.
I agree. I wonder how many customers will see a $4000 fare and simply click over to UA.com rather than assume a "negative fare" will show up on the next page. This really falls into the category of "what were they thinking?"

On a lighter note, I'm thinking of calling AA and informing them that I'm not interested in the outbound, but would like to have the minus-$2700 1-way fare, and that a voucher in that amount would be just fine!
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:02 pm

Programs: AA CK, BA Gold, SPG PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Avis First, Hertz 5*
I don't see this setup lasting very long. The negative fares alone on return trips are going to confuse the average leisure traveler.

The inability to sort is inexcusable as many have noted. Even more so when the return flights come into play.

This is very reminiscent of the "enhancements" UA did with their website change for selecting fares. I really thought AA had the cleanest search around until this, so it is a bit disappointing.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
I'll use a TA to book these fares on AA then.
The small service fee is worth not having to deal with this.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:14 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro/4MM Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Perhaps the "Systemwide Upgrade Eligible" text appears to highlight the eligibile "AA metal" flights versus oneworld/codeshare flights? Or am I just being optimistic?
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:22 pm

Programs: AA LTPLT UA1P Hilton Dia Marriott Plat
Today I can't fine any discounted F fares anymore. Yesterday F DFW LAS was $306.00 each way. Today its over $1500 for June.

Originally Posted by vasantn
Um, no. And I assure you that my IQ is above-average.

Yesterday I had found (using the old system) a discounted F fare of about $1300 RT ($650 outbound, $650 return, very straightforward). To find the same fare again today (using the new system), I had to click on various combinations of Choice, Instant Upgrade and Business/First to recreate it. The final solution? I had to click on a fare of $4000 RT on the first page and then hunt for a return itinerary giving me a $2700 credit on the next page. It took close to 10 minutes.

Really intuitive - NOT.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:41 pm

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hyatt, SPG
It appears that none of the new choices apply to transborder travel, but yet the fare displays and sorting has been killed nonetheless.

Apparently "Choices" don't apply if you're going to/from Canada, presumably because AA sees Canada as "International". Unless of course you're looking for lounge access on a paid F fare, in which case they're very clear and quick to tell you that Canada does not count as "International".

But why am I surprised. It's AA.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:46 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by mach92
Today I can't fine any discounted F fares anymore.
You are not alone.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:23 pm

Programs: Oneworld
Expressed my discontent to AA's Twitter person this morning after I assumed the site was broken. Turns out it simply doesn't work with Google Chrome.

What an epic failure.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 12:03 am

Programs: AS MVPG-75K & HYATT Diamond; former DL-DM, AA-PLT, US-PLT
Originally Posted by justforfun
Functions now missing:

1. The ability to see all the pages of flights at once.
2. The ability to sort the flights by departure time, arrival time, etc.

Unbelievable.
^
That the two most useful things were missing was the first thing I noticed.

This new display sort of reminds me of DELTA, and probably seems cleaner through Kettle eyes, but I like the old one. It was functional and not cluttered. In fact, I don't recall anything about that needed improvement.

I would have thought that AA getting things right would be mission critical at this point, and that any changes rolled out from now until the end of bankruptcy would be so well thought out & tweaked that improvements would not be needed.

From my experience, a new website look should be so clean, clever and comfortable that after a day I don't even remember what the last one was like.

How can a whole industry consistently roll out 'enhancements' for customers that worsen the customers experience & service?

If this is a sample of the thinking & dedication we can expect from Horton's plan to a new shiny stand-alone AA, then US Air deserves a fair shot at merging with AA.

PS: Now I'm starting to have doubts about how good the new brand and paint scheme will look like. Creating something that looks better than AA's previous liveries & branding is a high bar to top. Maybe the current one isn't the worst.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 12:26 am

Some of those who fawned over now-CIO Maya Leibman may want to take it down a notch.

It's hard for me to believe that the new look was focus-grouped by actual AA frequent travelers prior to release.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 12:34 am

Originally Posted by brettharmon
Expressed my discontent to AA's Twitter person
If this is the future, I'm scared. I bet the developers love 15-word bug reports.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.