Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 10, 2014, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

The rebate program (which began in April 2012) applies only to primary card holders of these cards:
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage Visa Signature
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World MasterCard
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard
  • Citi Select AAdvantage American Express
It does not apply to the Citi Gold World MasterCard, Citi Executive products, or some of the Citi Business cards.

The maximum rebate for any cardholder in a single calendar year is 10,000 miles per AAdvantage account. Having more than one qualifying Citi AA card will not allow you to receive a larger rebate.

[/COLOR][/FONT]
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Citi 10% miles back / rebate for award redemption

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2012, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by catmndu
On May 22nd I used miles for a miles plus copay upgrade. The rebate showed up on June 10th. On August 10th I made a reduced mileage reservation and the rebate showed up on September 17th. So, yes it appears that the rebates show up approximately once a month.

Just two more data points...
No, it is NOT.

Redeemed on 09/06, 10% rebate in account today.

So it is definitely a batch processing but the sweeping time cannot be determined.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BlissWorld
Just curious. Has anyone gotten more than 10K rebate for having 2 cards? Or is 10K the max regardless of how many cards you have?
Many have reported, may not be in this thread, that the cap is 10K per AAdvantage number, not per AAdvantage credit card.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 8:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 6 MM | Amex Platinum | Hyatt Globalist | Hilton Diamond | IHG Spire Elite | Bonvoy Plat.
Originally Posted by Happy
Many have reported, may not be in this thread, that the cap is 10K per AAdvantage number, not per AAdvantage credit card.
Yep it's 10,000 per AAdvantage # not per card. I have several cards and I was capped to 10,000 miles.

Actually I redeemed 90,000 miles earlier this year and the 9,000 miles hit almost immediately but then about 1.5 months ago I redeemed another 90,000 miles for another trip and the last 1,000 never hit yet. I sent an email to AA Customer Service but they said it can take up to 6 weeks to hit.

I'm still waiting for that final 1,000 miles but they told me it was capped to 10,000 miles per #.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 9:10 pm

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
No, it is NOT.

Redeemed on 09/06, 10% rebate in account today.

So it is definitely a batch processing but the sweeping time cannot be determined.
Your data point only reinforces the idea of a monthly sweep. No one was positing that it takes a month, instead that they post the rebates roughly one time per month. Seems like you made it in under the cutoff to be posted with this month's rebates.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 10:58 pm

Received all 10k when I looked today; booking made mid-August.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 4:38 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1k, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, CC Gold
Just saw this thread...wife and I both booked flights on 6/18, 10% bonus credited same day for both of us.

Has anyone had any experience with cancelling an award ticket? Do they take the bonus miles back?
Old Sep 19, 2012, 10:39 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by alpen1
Just saw this thread...wife and I both booked flights on 6/18, 10% bonus credited same day for both of us.

Has anyone had any experience with cancelling an award ticket? Do they take the bonus miles back?
I'd be shocked if they don't...that would be one heck of a loophole (especially if you're EXP).
Old Sep 21, 2012, 6:13 pm

Programs: AA 2 MM LIfetime Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hilton Silver, BA
Booked an award ticket for my daughter for 8/29. Used TY premier pass card. 10% points appeared a couple of days ago. I had to use one anytime award and one coach so total was 37500 miles. 3750 appeared in my account. So you definitely don't need to use the card to purchase the award ticket and it was about 3 weeks. So I just booked another ticket for myself and used my TY credit card.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mtkeller
Your data point only reinforces the idea of a monthly sweep. No one was positing that it takes a month, instead that they post the rebates roughly one time per month. Seems like you made it in under the cutoff to be posted with this month's rebates.
The posting times based on reporting data so far, does not seem to support a "fixed" time period for monthly sweep - the dates are too random for such assumption. For example, there are people who booked their awards in early to mid August, yet their rebates posted LATER than my 09/06 booking.

There are sweeps alright but it is not clear to me whether it is a monthly sweep for all the redemptions from the previous 30 days, or in some other mechanism to determine when the sweep occurred.

Last edited by Happy; Sep 21, 2012 at 8:28 pm
Old Sep 21, 2012, 9:56 pm

Programs: AA 2 MM LIfetime Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hilton Silver, BA
When I first called both the credit card and AA out of fear that I would only get the miles if I had used the citiAAdvantage card I was reassured that I didn't need to use the card but to wait 4 to 6 weeks, so I was pleasantly surprised to see them posted in about 3 weeks. It assured me that what they told me was true. Initially a credit card rep told me "no" that it was a perk of the card so the card was needed. I asked for a supervisor who told me the aa card did not need to be used. I suggested he train the first rep because she was giving out mis information
Old Sep 21, 2012, 11:26 pm

Programs: SPG Plat
Yeah I got a 10% rebate using a different credit card, so def. true. It was a AA posting rather than a CC posting (nothing on statement)
Old Sep 26, 2012, 2:45 pm

This is so good to know as I will be redeeming some miles soon.

Originally Posted by silverforumsurf
Yeah I got a 10% rebate using a different credit card, so def. true. It was a AA posting rather than a CC posting (nothing on statement)
Old Sep 26, 2012, 2:57 pm

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
The posting times based on reporting data so far, does not seem to support a "fixed" time period for monthly sweep - the dates are too random for such assumption. For example, there are people who booked their awards in early to mid August, yet their rebates posted LATER than my 09/06 booking.

There are sweeps alright but it is not clear to me whether it is a monthly sweep for all the redemptions from the previous 30 days, or in some other mechanism to determine when the sweep occurred.
Interesting. I'm not seeing any data points in this thread from people who ticketed in early/mid-August and got their points after the mass crediting people saw around 18 September. Got any pointers to the instances you're mentioning?
Old Sep 27, 2012, 5:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 6 MM | Amex Platinum | Hyatt Globalist | Hilton Diamond | IHG Spire Elite | Bonvoy Plat.
Originally Posted by mtkeller
Interesting. I'm not seeing any data points in this thread from people who ticketed in early/mid-August and got their points after the mass crediting people saw around 18 September. Got any pointers to the instances you're mentioning?
I don't think it's any fixed period. Earlier this year I redeemed 90,000 miles and very quickly after (within 2 weeks) I saw my AA account credited with the 9,000 bonus miles. Then I booked the return and another 9,000 miles. I knew that I'd only get 1,000 more miles as it's a 10k maximum per year.

The final 1,000 mile bonus took 7 weeks to post. I don't think there is any set pattern. At least not in my case.
Old Oct 7, 2012, 9:56 am

Programs: IHG Platinum Ambassador, Hyatt Diamond, Hhonors Diamond
Any more stories of personal experience from people who only have the business card? So far I've read 1-yes and 1-no to the 10% rebate if you only hold business and no personal cards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.