Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: US LCC & AMR / AA Takeover / merger Rumors and Discussion (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 14, 2013, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

The AA - US merger was approved by AMR creditors and the boards of directors of both airlines on 13 Feb 2013, and announced the 14th.

There is no further speculation about whether the merger will occur; all that is pending is approval from the bankruptcy court and the regulatory authorities.

American Airlines and US Airways approve merger: just the facts, please outlines the facts we know;

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement Discussion (consolidated) is the thread for discussion of the announced merger.
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: US LCC & AMR / AA Takeover / merger Rumors and Discussion (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2013, 9:33 pm

Programs: UAL, AA, AS, CX
Im genuinely curious if there is an AA and USAir stock play here? If so what and how is the collective thoughts of FTers?
Old Feb 4, 2013, 9:34 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by badgerW
Could you provide a link to this announcement? (and the AS one as well) I can't seem to find anything. Cape Air flies 8-seater Cessnas, I can't see them replacing AE in any meaningful capacity, and it appears that it's to just a few locations.

http://www.aa.com/i18n/urls/capeair.jsp
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...placement.html
You are quite correct - hence the OP's description "replacement".

AMR is attempting to service Carribean primarily from MIA, DFW - obviously leaves lots of holes.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 11:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
Originally Posted by JHIN
Im genuinely curious if there is an AA and USAir stock play here? If so what and how is the collective thoughts of FTers?
The stock play time frame has probably all ready passed for any real returns. It's now baked into the stocks the merger will likely happen. The true trick with profitable stock plays is you have to be ahead of the curve in most cases ( ie before the press is so saturated with the the likelihood of a merger). The last great stock play for AA was shorting it when you could anticipate BK was inevitable BEFORE it was common knowledge it was gonna happen.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by JHIN
Buy puts in both.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 6:45 am

Originally Posted by JNB280
Buy puts in both.
Put it all on red.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 8:08 am

If this lousy merger happens, then there would likely be a period of euphoria when the stock price would rise, followed by reality setting in and a significant downtrend in value.

If it does not happen, then the stock price of LCC will tank, and it may go belly up. Without AA's cash to leach off of, LCC will be done. That is actually the best way for AA to get the parts of LCC that would be useful to it, without the primadonna twit Parker and without LCC's debt load or the obligation to pay off Parker's bribes to the unions.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 8:11 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by Carolinian
If this lousy merger happens, then there would likely be a period of euphoria when the stock price would rise, followed by reality setting in and a significant downtrend in value.

If it does not happen, then the stock price of LCC will tank, and it may go belly up. Without AA's cash to leach off of, LCC will be done. That is actually the best way for AA to get the parts of LCC that would be useful to it, without the primadonna twit Parker and without LCC's debt load or the obligation to pay off Parker's bribes to the unions.
Agreed. I hope AA takes a big fat pass on LCC. There's no need to rush, Chapter 7 would make parts of LCC available at much more attractive prices. Dougie can go back to managing a Burger World or whatever he did before he got into the airline wrecking business.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 8:15 am

Programs: AA EXP | DL SM | HH DM |*wood Gold
Originally Posted by Spiff
Agreed. I hope AA takes a big fat pass on LCC. There's no need to rush, Chapter 7 would make parts of LCC available at much more attractive prices. Dougie can go back to managing a Burger World or whatever he did before he got into the airline wrecking business.
I believe he sold used cars...

MO
Old Feb 5, 2013, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
That is actually the best way for AA to get the parts of LCC that would be useful to it
Originally Posted by Spiff
There's no need to rush, Chapter 7 would make parts of LCC available at much more attractive prices.
What makes you think AA is going to be able to waltz right in and acquire assets in liquidation without UA or DL being able to say "boo" about it? When it comes to that, cash is king, and it's not like AA is the only airline in the United States that can write a check.

Or is this something where I won't get the wisdom and enlightenment until I start drinking the delicious KoolAAid? All I can say is US was "wrecked" a long time ago. Odds are that the AW merger is the only reason why it's still in business as opposed to being as dead as PA or BE.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 8:53 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Hilton Dia, Marriott Gold, Hertz Pres Cir, National Exec Elite
Thumbs up

Exactly! +1
Old Feb 5, 2013, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by grahampros
The stock play time frame has probably all ready passed for any real returns. It's now baked into the stocks the merger will likely happen. The true trick with profitable stock plays is you have to be ahead of the curve in most cases ( ie before the press is so saturated with the the likelihood of a merger). The last great stock play for AA was shorting it when you could anticipate BK was inevitable BEFORE it was common knowledge it was gonna happen.
There's a whole long thread about AMR stock.

In general, you're right about being ahead of the curve. If this were a typical merger, I'd agree. But in this case, with AA in bankruptcy, all bets are off. If they merge, AAMRQ could still easily go out worthless, or it could be worth a few dollars. In fact, the one thing that would surprise me was if the exit value turns out to be within 30% of the current $1.25 price, up or down.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 6:50 am

Programs: AAdvantage, CK, 4 MM; Marriott Lifetime PLT
Originally Posted by elitetraveler
Again - so you understand - I was responding to an AApologist aassertion that Parker/US saves money by not maintaining their fleet.

And to repeat myself since there is a comprehension problem - I said IMO both airlines are safe.

However, none of the legacies (you mention DL) are pristine and certainly as we know from the AA ORD D10 crash and the AS M80 crash, as well as WN's shortcoming, strong government oversight is necessary.

Blabbing on that US is unsafe here is just a complete falsehood. (period) AA as these fines show is not a paragon of compliance.

Google "American Airlines FAA Fines"
A bit of a reach that you continue to cite a crash that happened 30 something years ago when I was running around in diapers. Since that time, AA had millions of flights with a safety record probably in the 99 percentile. As for FAA fines, once again, IIRC, it related to the MD-80; also, the agency proposed the fine amounts. Those usually are not the final figures as the airlines contest the amount of the fine imposed. Makes for great headlines for low information readers who would rather google and spread misinformation than actually go off of facts.

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
What makes you think AA is going to be able to waltz right in and acquire assets in liquidation without UA or DL being able to say "boo" about it? When it comes to that, cash is king, and it's not like AA is the only airline in the United States that can write a check.

Or is this something where I won't get the wisdom and enlightenment until I start drinking the delicious KoolAAid? All I can say is US was "wrecked" a long time ago. Odds are that the AW merger is the only reason why it's still in business as opposed to being as dead as PA or BE.
Not going to happen. I realize that this is FT but there is zero chance that UA or DL would be allowed to acquire ANY of US assets if the airline was to be liquidated somewhere down the line. The only legacy that would be in play would be AA. DOJ and DOT will not approve any transaction involving DL or UA unless both carriers gave back significant assets in NY (LGA, JFK, EWR) DC, and ATL, transatlantic routes, etc. Neither would be in play for the valuable shuttle route -- US's most prized asset imo; and I highly doubt either would be in play for CLT due to ATL and Dulles respectively. So what is there to gain for DL or UA knowing that both carriers will need to give up so much to satisfy regulators here in the US as well as Europe. If US were ever to liquidate, AA would most likely get shuttle route, additional DCA slots with the rest going to carriers JetBlue, Virgin, etc.; and CLT and PHL becoming key AA cities but not a hub.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 7:07 am
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Originally Posted by LAXJFKesq
The only legacy that would be in play would be AA.
The only legacy that would be in play may be AA, but that doesn't necessarily preclude action by non-legacy B6, WN, or even Spirit. They all have money, even if some of them are bleeding red.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 7:39 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat
"Not going to happen. I realize that this is FT but there is zero chance that UA or DL would be allowed to acquire ANY of US assets if the airline was to be liquidated somewhere down the line. The only legacy that would be in play would be AA. DOJ and DOT will not approve any transaction involving DL or UA unless both carriers gave back significant assets"

With enough lobby money and not being publicly arrogant, any anti-competitive purchase can and will occur. The lobbyist decide if a merger goes through based on the amount of money they are willing to throw around.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by GunsOfNavarone

With enough lobby money and not being publicly arrogant, any anti-competitive purchase can and will occur. The lobbyist decide if a merger goes through based on the amount of money they are willing to throw around.
REALLY?

ATT spent MILLIONS trying to acquire T-Mobile, cost them BILLIONS more in penalties to T-Mobile when they could not find a way to make it work - even after agreeing to divest some assets.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.