Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: US LCC & AMR / AA Takeover / merger Rumors and Discussion (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 14, 2013, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

The AA - US merger was approved by AMR creditors and the boards of directors of both airlines on 13 Feb 2013, and announced the 14th.

There is no further speculation about whether the merger will occur; all that is pending is approval from the bankruptcy court and the regulatory authorities.

American Airlines and US Airways approve merger: just the facts, please outlines the facts we know;

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement Discussion (consolidated) is the thread for discussion of the announced merger.
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: US LCC & AMR / AA Takeover / merger Rumors and Discussion (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2013, 3:33 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
A number of articles, pundits (some with some actual insight to the airline industry) etc. out there seem to feel the annuoncement is imminent. Some talk about Parker as CEO and Horton as Chairman. At this point, I would not be surprised at an announcement - sooner than 15 Feb. Too much ground shaking - I think there's a herd approaching.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
A number of articles, pundits (some with some actual insight to the airline industry) etc. out there seem to feel the annuoncement is imminent. Some talk about Parker as CEO and Horton as Chairman. At this point, I would not be surprised at an announcement - sooner than 15 Feb. Too much ground shaking - I think there's a herd approaching.
, , , if there is, then it is the customers, and specifically the ff'ers, who will get trampled, as they did at DL/NW, UA/CO, and AF/KL. Competition is a good thing for customers and oligopoly a bad thing,
Old Jan 31, 2013, 3:55 pm

Programs: AA Plat 1MM, HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG GLD
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
I'd say its more of a case that Parker believes (right or wrong) that the synergy between AA and USAir will cover the promises being made to labor. .
Which proves that you don't have to be lucid to be a CEO of major corporation.

Like I have said before, I am hoping that someone will be stupid enough to write put contracts on the merged entity. I will be a great $$ making opportunity.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 4:26 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by FWAAA
US is currently promising AA employees higher compensation to take effect immediately upon a merger which is contrary to the reasons that AA filed for bankruptcy: to bring its labor costs down from their industry-leading position. On top of that, US is finally (almost eight years after its merger) offering to raise its own employees' compensation to the new AA levels, which requires hundreds of millions of dollars in additional annual costs.
Obviously Parker has a plan through cost cuts in other places, increased revenues (US isn't part of a TATL or TPAC JV) to pay for the wage increases. Will it work? Is it realistic?

Same deal for Horton's stand alone plan to grow revenues significantly as a stand alone. Can he deliver on what he has promised? Nobody knows.

As I mentioned, the fact that the BA/IB and JL CEOs are supporting a merger - and both are key components of Horton's stand alone plan - suggests they think there is less risk to their JVs through a merger. Of course they could be wrong.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 4:38 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Amex MR
Well, I guess if a merger is inevitable it is not the end of the world. Obviously I want AAdvantage to survive with minimal gutting, if the 100% miles earning rate on flights booked as an AA codeshare remain that would be great. Hopefully fuel surcharges do not spread to more partners besides BA/IB, and hopefully we are still allowed to upgrade from any published fare. Those are the three big things for me.

I have a flight in F on US MEX-PHX in March. A smooth and enjoyable experience would do wonders to put my mind at ease.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by elitetraveler
As I mentioned, the fact that the BA/IB and JL CEOs are supporting a merger - and both are key components of Horton's stand alone plan - suggests they think there is less risk to their JVs through a merger. Of course they could be wrong.
Also, eliminating one of your few major competitors can probably do wonders for the kinds of fares you can charge.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 5:14 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by nall
Also, eliminating one of your few major competitors can probably do wonders for the kinds of fares you can charge.
Exactly.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 5:18 pm

Programs: AA LTP, Bonvoy Titanium; AA CK before I retired
Originally Posted by nall
No kidding. Ask people who live near southern airports where the pre-merger DL from ATL and NW from MEM were the primary two carriers. Didn't take the post-merger DL long to figure out how to squeeze higher fares from those airports.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 7:40 pm

Merge like Delta did, not like United

A recommendation for American/US Air:

http://www.dallasnews.com/business/c...ine-merger.ece
Old Jan 31, 2013, 8:13 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
Be careful what you wish for.

I like AA being being smaller. AA has an incentive to treat its customers better.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 9:54 pm

Are you saying that size does not matter?
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:00 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
With fewer carriers the chance of higher fares and revenue based elite status increases.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 12:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
I was not very active in the DL forum, but somehow my impression is that whenever there is a merger people are unhappy. After a few years when the dust settles/another merger happens everything is well and good.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 12:28 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
"Do not merge."
Old Feb 1, 2013, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It really annoys me that union/stakeholder groups are so myopic to the big picture of the business that is American Airlines, and I really feel they would be to blame should a merger occur with the biggest piece of pond scum airline on the planet. I understand the importance of a salary and a paycheck, but to throw away the great potential because some other CEO has promised you a raise is very short-sighted and reeks of poor business sense. The reality is that AA, in its current form, knows how to keep its customers loyal, and without customers, there is no paycheck.

This exercise of letting the various stakeholder groups have a voice in the matter is a good one, but the execution is poor because it's decision making off of speculation. I feel like more realistic tactics such as interviewing both prospective CEOs and "living a day in the life of US pilot/baggage handler/FA" would provide better context for the various AA groups in making a decision rather than the "he cut our salaries, we don't like him, let's get revenge and railroad him" approach that seems to be taking place here.

Doug Parker's track record is average at best in a time when exceptional is required to keep American in a leading position. How this guy thinks he's going to merge and then bring up US' salaries while saving money at the same time is beyond me. There should be a lockdown on the $4BB or so in cash AA has in the bank. I'm hopeful the DOJ sees right through it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.