Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: US LCC & AMR / AA Takeover / merger Rumors and Discussion (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 14, 2013, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

The AA - US merger was approved by AMR creditors and the boards of directors of both airlines on 13 Feb 2013, and announced the 14th.

There is no further speculation about whether the merger will occur; all that is pending is approval from the bankruptcy court and the regulatory authorities.

American Airlines and US Airways approve merger: just the facts, please outlines the facts we know;

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement Discussion (consolidated) is the thread for discussion of the announced merger.
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: US LCC & AMR / AA Takeover / merger Rumors and Discussion (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2013, 6:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nall
You can always hedge your bets and get one now.
You can probably wait until an announcement is made; it's not like the CC companies are going to cancel applications overnight.

I used to be a PMUA flyer; I applied for a CO MC a good few months after that merger was announced and received all of the applicable bonuses.

Now, my account = 0...or thereabouts...but that's another discussion.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 6:11 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by fly747first
1. It is true that US Airways was days away from liquidating, but without US Airways, Parker knew that America Pest wouldn't last long, probably no more than 7 months.
You're making Parker look like a miracle worker - taking one airline on the brink of liquidation and one heading fast to 11 and turning them into one of 4 surviving legacy carriers that just banked a $500 million profit for 2012.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 9:47 am

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus(ick)
Originally Posted by diver858
http://www.cnbc.com/id/100407978

I could not find a reference to this; few days old, some good insights, questionable commentary.

"The operational challenges we faced last summer influenced corporate customers," Rainey said. "Some of our corporate customers took a detour while the road was under construction."

Really? Or did AA lure them away, as they are now doing with DL's DMs.
Ha!
That was quite amusing.
Rainey talking about people taking a detour while the road was under construction?
Is it really a "detour" if nobody returns to the original route?
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:07 am

Programs: AA; United; Delta
Originally Posted by UNITED959
You can probably wait until an announcement is made; it's not like the CC companies are going to cancel applications overnight.

I used to be a PMUA flyer; I applied for a CO MC a good few months after that merger was announced and received all of the applicable bonuses.

Now, my account = 0...or thereabouts...but that's another discussion.
A merger would still have to receive antitrust clearance from federal regulators. Clearance presumably would take a couple months.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:17 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
In the event there is a merger, there appears to be a consensus that the AA name will be used; rebranding is long past due, timed for the exit from BK11, new aircraft.
I may be wrong, but BK Trustees and creditor committees don't work off "consensus" and "rumors" in approving this kind of expenditure of treasure and time. If the merger was that close, why not wait for a much bigger announcement and incorporate both?
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:31 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Yet another AMR BOD meeting has passed, without an official comment of ANY kind.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:52 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Yet another AMR BOD meeting has passed, without an official comment of ANY kind.
Assuming the recent newsreports are correct, it seems as though a few more details need to be agreed upon and then the merger/acquisition is a done deal. Likely the Board has given a conditional yes pending favorable resolution of any outstanding issues. From there it would be a simple conference call to take the official vote.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:56 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Hilton Dia, Marriott Gold, Hertz Pres Cir, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Assuming the recent newsreports are correct, it seems as though a few more details need to be agreed upon and then the merger/acquisition is a done deal. Likely the Board has given a conditional yes pending favorable resolution of any outstanding issues. From there it would be a simple conference call to take the official vote.
It's a big leap to assume the "recent reports" are accurate. I'm not sure that the news media has access to anything more than rumors.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
It will probably happen, but the "details" appear to be biggies:

Reuters reports that four sources familiar with the details say the merger is in its final stages, with only the final price and management structure the remaining pieces to be resolved.
http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/m...es-merger.html

Price and who's in charge - those are big details.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:33 am

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
Originally Posted by frambusch
It's a big leap to assume the "recent reports" are accurate. I'm not sure that the news media has access to anything more than rumors.
These reports are coming from pretty reputable new sources so they are likely true. The same was true pre bankruptcy that is was imminent which many didn't want to believe.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:35 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel...merger/1876795

...The airlines and AMR creditors are in advanced talks over a merger, but a deal is not a sure thing...

...the bondholder group indicated that it would not remain bound by a confidentiality agreement past Feb. 15 and wanted a swift decision on a merger, increasing the sense of urgency around the negotiations...

Not sure I would characterize this as "pieces falling in to place".
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:56 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Parker probably realizes that if he wants the deal to go more his way (in other words now and not later when AA is the acquirer) he needs to keep Horton on in some fashion acceptable to Horton. Now how that could impact the FF experience is unknown. Remember, Horton has been CEO only under Chapter 11 and therefore has been limited in operational changes. He might be right on the same page as USAir, time will tell.

The biggest sticking is likely the split in ownership between USAir shareholders and AA unsecured creditors. If the deal falls apart this could be the likely culprit.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:45 pm
hmv

How about the US Airways shareholders?
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP CONKEY, HYATT GLOB, SPG PLAT
I still don't believe this will happen in bankruptcy. There are huge bonuses tied to the current AA executive team to leave bankruptcy as still a solo AA.

After bankruptcy? AA will have total control over USa.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 1:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
Originally Posted by grahampros
These reports are coming from pretty reputable news sources so they are likely true. The same was true pre bankruptcy that it was imminent which many didn't want to believe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.