Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: US LCC & AMR / AA Takeover / merger Rumors and Discussion (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 14, 2013, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

The AA - US merger was approved by AMR creditors and the boards of directors of both airlines on 13 Feb 2013, and announced the 14th.

There is no further speculation about whether the merger will occur; all that is pending is approval from the bankruptcy court and the regulatory authorities.

American Airlines and US Airways approve merger: just the facts, please outlines the facts we know;

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement Discussion (consolidated) is the thread for discussion of the announced merger.
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: US LCC & AMR / AA Takeover / merger Rumors and Discussion (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2012, 9:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.7MM/LT GOLD-Luckily/Admirals Club/HH Dia/MR Gold/NAT Exec Elite/AVIS First/SPG/
Originally Posted by Dreamworks
It's kind of funny reading the different posts in this forum and the US forum.

US: As a Gold, I'm probably not going to keep getting my upgrades with such frequency.
AA: I'm going to set myself on fire if this merger goes through.
LOL, the best one yet
PS: my match is lit!
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
Originally Posted by thepointwhore
LOL, the best one yet
PS: my match is lit!
I wouldn't be too worried about it just yet. The odds are still against it happening with AA in BK. If it does happen likely after AA exits. Horton holds quite a bit of credibility now with the creditors now given the BK has been fairly quick.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.7MM/LT GOLD-Luckily/Admirals Club/HH Dia/MR Gold/NAT Exec Elite/AVIS First/SPG/
Originally Posted by grahampros
I wouldn't be too worried about it just yet. The odds are still against it happening with AA in BK. If it does happen likely after AA exits. Horton holds quite a bit of credibility now with the creditors now given the BK has been fairly quick.
Being based near DFW I'm kinda stuck anyway. They've been good to me over the years and there's nothing any of us can do about it anyway, so I'm not too worried. Change is a scary thing for most of us on this board
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:39 pm

Programs: AA GLD .25MM, CO, UA, US, DL, HH, SPG (all cardboard)
I for one could use a DCA based hub in my airline.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:59 pm

Originally Posted by KD5MDK
I for one could use a DCA based hub in my airline.
One thing is for certain, Dividend Miles is a stupid name of a program
Old Dec 13, 2012, 12:22 pm

Programs: AA GLD .25MM, CO, UA, US, DL, HH, SPG (all cardboard)
But their miles are taxed at 15% and mine at over 30.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by Dreamworks
US: As a Gold, I'm probably not going to keep getting my upgrades with such frequency.
AA: I'm going to set myself on fire if this merger goes through.
Enough of #2 would solve problem #1.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 6:14 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by CPRich
Enough of #2 would solve problem #1.
Not so sure I agree with that, many here love to howl and complain, but few ever follow through on their threats to change carriers.

They will light themselves on fire, then get a "DEQM" email and get all frothy at the mouth and all will be right with the world again.

Same old, same old, the beat goes on...

Regards

Last edited by scubadu; Dec 13, 2012 at 8:37 pm Reason: typo
Old Dec 13, 2012, 7:01 pm

Programs: AA Bonsai EXP (2.9 MM), AS MVPG
Originally Posted by scubadu
Not so sure I agree with that, many here love to howl and complain, but few ever follow through on their threats to change carriers.

They will light themselves on fire, then get a "DEQM" email and get all frothy and the mouth and all will be right with the world again.

Regards
Did you say DEQM?? Woohoo!
Old Dec 14, 2012, 8:21 am

Sadly there ıs no decent program to change to. DL and UA have already ruıned theır programs as have European carriers. AA has the only decent program left standıng.

I think the more likely ımpact and the one some have mentıoned here ıs just to say to heck wıth elıte programs and fly prıce ınstead. If the benefıts become nonconsequentıal there ıs no reason for loyalty.

Originally Posted by scubadu

They will light themselves on fire, then get a "DEQM" email and get all frothy at the mouth and all will be right with the world again.

Regards
Old Dec 14, 2012, 8:36 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, Southwest A-List
AA Pushing for standalone plan

From this news article it sounds like AA has decided to push forward with a stand alone plan coming out of bankruptcy. This is quite a relief, just hope the other creditors buy it.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Juanefny
From this news article it sounds like AA has decided to push forward with a stand alone plan coming out of bankruptcy. This is quite a relief, just hope the other creditors buy it.
Horton recently said that AA would have been the most profitable legacy airline for the first three quarters of 2012 if it had enjoyed the cost savings that just began to kick in during the fourth quarter. If AA can keep the revenue where it's been, 2013 should be a very good year for AA.

US, on the other hand, has barely grown its yield and unit revenue at all during the first three quarters of 2012. Sure, it's been profitable, but nowhere near as profitable as AA would have been (with the wage and other savings AA has recently achieved in Ch 11).

The AA unions still pine for Doug Parker - IMO it's a continuation of the juvenile "anybody but Horton, because he's the devil" attitude that the union leaders have shown since November 29. They trot out their inaccurate talking points and convince no one (except their own gullible members, many of whom are still in denial that AA had a cost problem). Many AA employees still speak of an "illegitimate" Ch 11 filing.

My primary objection to a merger with US right now is that it represents a massive transfer of value from the AA creditors (of which the employees represent 20% of the claims) to the LCC shareholders who have watched LCC bid up more than double since Parker began beating the drum to take over AA. If AA emerges from Ch 11 on its own, I see LCC falling to about $5/sh or lower, practically ensuring that AA and US could be combined in the future without such a large bonus to LCC shareholders.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 9:36 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, Southwest A-List
Originally Posted by FWAAA

The AA unions still pine for Doug Parker - IMO it's a continuation of the juvenile "anybody but Horton, because he's the devil" attitude that the union leaders have shown since November 29. They trot out their inaccurate talking points and convince no one (except their own gullible members, many of whom are still in denial that AA had a cost problem). Many AA employees still speak of an "illegitimate" Ch 11 filing.
... and the media...
Old Dec 14, 2012, 10:17 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Juanefny
... and the media...
Wall Street is the driver...media only reports what hey are told.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 10:57 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Carolinian
I think the more likely ımpact and the one some have mentıoned here ıs just to say to heck wıth elıte programs and fly prıce ınstead. If the benefıts become nonconsequentıal there ıs no reason for loyalty.
Ding, ding, we have a winner.

But generally, nobody here wants to have that discussion.

Regards

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.