Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: US LCC & AMR / AA Takeover / merger Rumors and Discussion (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 14, 2013, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

The AA - US merger was approved by AMR creditors and the boards of directors of both airlines on 13 Feb 2013, and announced the 14th.

There is no further speculation about whether the merger will occur; all that is pending is approval from the bankruptcy court and the regulatory authorities.

American Airlines and US Airways approve merger: just the facts, please outlines the facts we know;

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement Discussion (consolidated) is the thread for discussion of the announced merger.
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: US LCC & AMR / AA Takeover / merger Rumors and Discussion (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2012, 5:47 am

Originally Posted by NYCommuter
1. With US Airways credit cards, if you spend $25k, 10,000 of the miles that you earn get converted into Preferred miles. The fee is reasonable- I think $90 per year? I have multiple US Airways credit cards and have a much higher level of Preferred status than I would just through flying. I see that AA has a credit card that can earn 10,000 Preferred (or whatever the name is for AA) miles, but the annual fee is $450, and it takes 40,000 miles to trigger a 10,000 mile conversion into Preferred miles. So there goes my higher-level status.
You also have to remember that the AA card with the $450 fee includes Admiral's Club membership. The US card does not. If you have US Chairman status you will pay $90 for the card and $325 for the club membership for a total of $415. So the cost difference becomes very small.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 6:46 am

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, Piper Dakota, Admirals Club, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Gold, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by CPRich
I must say I'm amused at those who think that taking a poll and send it to a bankruptcy judge or an airline announcing FF program changes to make FF's happy has one iota of influence on a bankruptcy decision.

And the poster above was correct (as a current 1K and 10yr CP myself), you'd much, much rather be with US than UA right now in most situations.
I'm not at all interested in taking a poll or in trying to influence a BK judge. I'm interested in Parker trying to influence AA's bread and butter elites, who seem less than enthusiastic about a merger, and maintaining the stellar benefits of the AAdvantage program.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 3:43 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, AA PLT
Searched the forum for speculation about the fate of lifetime statuses post-bankruptcy and didn't come up with much. Is there any precedent for lifetime status after an airline declares bankruptcy? Did those airlines recognize lifetime accumulation (in AA's case, Million-Miler Balance) post-merger?
Old Jul 23, 2012, 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by Cityhawk
Searched the forum for speculation about the fate of lifetime statuses post-bankruptcy and didn't come up with much. Is there any precedent for lifetime status after an airline declares bankruptcy? Did those airlines recognize lifetime accumulation (in AA's case, Million-Miler Balance) post-merger?
I believe that UA kept theirs after their bankruptcy and although they have modified the program a little, in terms of earnings, post merger with CO, the life time elite status is still there. After the merger, once my UA and CO lifetime miles earned were combined, it put me within 50k of LT Gold. Although I do not see myself setting foot on a UA plane anytime soon.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 9:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
Originally Posted by 236Dakota
I'm not at all interested in taking a poll or in trying to influence a BK judge. I'm interested in Parker trying to influence AA's bread and butter elites, who seem less than enthusiastic about a merger, and maintaining the stellar benefits of the AAdvantage program.
These types of concerns will have very little or any impact on the merger decision that AA makes. This or million millage concerns will have next to zero impact on the decision making process. It's just not on the big list of factors if they merge or not.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 10:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, Piper Dakota, Admirals Club, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Gold, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by grahampros
These types of concerns will have very little or any impact on the merger decision that AA makes. This or million millage concerns will have next to zero impact on the decision making process. It's just not on the big list of factors if they merge or not.
Maybe these concerns should be considered....UA's treatment of elites and the the devaluation of their FF program may very well be having a negative impact on their bottom line, the next quarter or two may tell. If the US Frequent Flyer program influence in an AA merger were to have a heavy negative financial affect then that should be considered by AA and others.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 10:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
Originally Posted by 236Dakota
Maybe these concerns should be considered....UA's treatment of elites and the the devaluation of their FF program may very well be having a negative impact on their bottom line, the next quarter or two may tell. If the US Frequent Flyer program influence in an AA merger were to have a heavy negative financial affect then that should be considered by AA and others.
They said the same thing about DL/NW as well ( the NW folks) and in the end i'ts had very little impact.

The real reason it had little impact is because DL handled the OPERATIONAL integration for a merger of the size fairly smoothly. What's really aggravated UA/CO folks more than anything is how poorly that's gone with the SHARES transition, drop in one time performance etc.

Last edited by grahampros; Jul 23, 2012 at 10:46 pm
Old Jul 23, 2012, 10:39 pm

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by nall
Last time I checked, JL did not fly to DFW.
My bad. Sorry.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Horton comes out swinging; merger with US was my idea, not Parker's

Horton sets the record straight: He raised the idea of a potential merger with US, not Doug Parker.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/americ...154508886.html

The most telling part, IMO:

But in an interview with The Associated Press Horton was emphatic that there's more financial pressure on US Airways than American to find a partner. And he cited Parker's repeated overtures as a sign of desperation.

Perhaps the biggest problem on the horizon for US Airways is that its labor costs are going rise, Horton said. Unions there haven't had a new contract in more than seven years. Horton said Parker is in "a race against the clock" to somehow increase revenue before he has to pay higher salaries in a new contract. A combination with American would help do that because American flies many more international routes, which bring in higher fares per passenger.

"It would be tremendously unwise for us to pursue a combination with a company because they are seeking to solve their own problems," Horton said.
Even the "analysts" who initially claimed that AA and US abosolutely had to merge have changed their tune:

Ray Neidl, a Maxim Group airline analyst who met with Horton at the breakfast, said he was swayed by Horton's determination to keep American independent. "I reduce (the) odds of a merger happening from 90 (percent) to less than 50," he said.

Another analyst, Helane Becker from Dahlman Rose, noted that "it's more important for US Airways to do the deal than it is for American."
I think it will eventually happen, but on Horton's terms, not Parker's.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
That being said, right now, the ugly girl isn't all that ugly.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 12:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
There's a difference between being broke and being ugly. I know US fans/fliers tend to conflate the two since US struggles with both, but if you fly beautiful broke AA enough, the differences are clear.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

True, the second quarter results are indicative of a very attractive catch assuming you just met her at the dance.

The problems with US are all her psycho relatives that aren't apparent until you take her home, like the pilots who work for less than at jetBlue but will eventually demand and get huge raises and the FAs who will eventually accept a new contract, and end up costing a lot more.

As ClueByFour used to point out, it's easy to make money when you pay your employees far less than your competitors. When that advantage goes away, things get really ugly in a hurry.

US lags AA in unit revenue increases this year, owing to what Parker has admitted is its inferior network (and perhaps less than stellar management - which he has not admitted). AA has improved its numbers a lot more this year than has US, and if that continues for several more quarters, US won't look anywhere near as attractive as she does this morning.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Ambraciot
There's a difference between being broke and being ugly. I know US fans/fliers tend to conflate the two since US struggles with both, but if you fly beautiful broke AA enough, the differences are clear.
I mostly fly AA and US as a peon (slightly upgraded peon on AA now that AA/AS elite reciprocity is in place, plus I've flown AA domestic F a couple times in "Eisenhower" 757 seats).

Flying most USA airlines as a peon in coach is a very generic experience, and I would be hard-pressed to think there's much of a difference between any of US/UA/DL/AA for us folks in the cheap seats. Obviously the rarefied air of an AA EXP gives one a much different perspective on things.

All that being said, the fact that US seems to have figured a few things out about optimizing their network (such as it is) while fighting WN to a draw in PHX and PHL... well, I think it makes them less ugly. Shareholders and executives think proftable operations are quite pretty.

Originally Posted by FWAAA
US lags AA in unit revenue increases this year, owing to what Parker has admitted is its inferior network (and perhaps less than stellar management - which he has not admitted). AA has improved its numbers a lot more this year than has US, and if that continues for several more quarters, US won't look anywhere near as attractive as she does this morning.
Well, they're still here, and still making profits, inferior network and whatever you want to say about their management. They looked like quite a dead duck not too long ago.

I won't be shocked if any merger (if there is one) is on AA's terms, in the end- or if there isn't one.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Jul 25, 2012 at 12:36 pm
Old Jul 25, 2012, 12:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Flying most USA airlines as a peon in coach is a very generic experience, and I would be hard-pressed to think there's much of a difference between any of US/UA/DL/AA for us folks in the cheap seats. Obviously the rarefied air of an AA EXP gives one a much different perspective on things.
Like most elites, I worked my way up from the back and still find myself in Y from time to time. On average AA has a tiny bit more legroom in Y (though less than a full inch) and gives free wine and beer on international flights. When condemned to coach I usually try to get a window seat with a movable window side armrest, I've had more luck doing that on AA than on DL or US.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 12:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Flying as a non elite Y pax its pretty much the same on the legacies. Yes there are some subtle differences, AA may give free beer and wine on International. DL at least has in seat IFE on its Transon 757s albeit its pricey at $6 for a movie and $2 for tv series/HBO shows.

I think Parker has done well with what he has put clearly future labor costs and having an inferior route structure to attract the high end business premium pax has probably capped how far USAir can go on its own. Opening up new far flung routes is expensive and risky. For example, awhile back USAir was looking at leasing an A340 from AC to start a China route. If that route fails like AA's ORD/DEL route suddenly you have to figure out what to do with that A340 if AC won't take it back. Its not like you can deploy it running shuttle flights between PHL and PIT. Not to mention when that A340 goes mechnical (out of service) you have a real mess on your hand.

My only thought would be does DL in a pre-emptive move go after USAir, particularly if AA takes a pass for now. Sure, DL would face anti trust issues and would have give some skin to make anything work.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.