Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: US LCC & AMR / AA Takeover / merger Rumors and Discussion (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 14, 2013, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

The AA - US merger was approved by AMR creditors and the boards of directors of both airlines on 13 Feb 2013, and announced the 14th.

There is no further speculation about whether the merger will occur; all that is pending is approval from the bankruptcy court and the regulatory authorities.

American Airlines and US Airways approve merger: just the facts, please outlines the facts we know;

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement Discussion (consolidated) is the thread for discussion of the announced merger.
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: US LCC & AMR / AA Takeover / merger Rumors and Discussion (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2012, 11:39 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
While I'm firmly against a US merger, should it happen I believe DCA is the biggest asset for AA, followed by CLT. While maybe the hub shrinks, the Southeast is an important market and is also lucrative given the number of small cities where US and DL currently provide most of the service and can accordingly charge premium fares.

I think PHX would almost certainly go (though PHX-DFW/LAX are heavy O&D routes currently served frequently by AA and US mainline to DFW and US mainline - a lots of it - to LAX. Those routes would definitely not be downgraded).

PHL is the real question. Its still a massive O&D airport with a lot of lucrative business travel. But its also a miserable airport with miserable employees that is awfully close to JFK. That said, AA can't just move equipment to JFK because they don't have slots.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by sts603
PHL is the real question. Its still a massive O&D airport with a lot of lucrative business travel. But its also a miserable airport with miserable employees that is awfully close to JFK. That said, AA can't just move equipment to JFK because they don't have slots.

Agreed, PHL is the real question. Location and customer service are both big strikes against PHL. I honestly do not see the AA/US airline maintaining a hub presence at PHL. Focus city, maybe.

And, as to your other point, if AA simply bought B6, the slot issue would disappear!!! (this possibility has been under discussion for quite a while as well, though it seems to have faded in recent months as the US merger has become more public)
Old Dec 16, 2012, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by sts603
I think PHX would almost certainly go (though PHX-DFW/LAX are heavy O&D routes currently served frequently by AA and US mainline to DFW and US mainline - a lots of it - to LAX. Those routes would definitely not be downgraded).

PHL is the real question. Its still a massive O&D airport with a lot of lucrative business travel.
PHX has more domestic O&D passengers than does PHL. But, if AA were simply looking for airports with dom. O&D passenger counts its retreats from BOS and SFO (both bugger than DFW) wouldn't have been quite so complete.

I wouldn't have thought PHL would stand much of a chance as a TATL gateway, but US offers more TATL destinations non-stop from PHL than AA does from JFK.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by ESpen36
Agreed, PHL is the real question. Location and customer service are both big strikes against PHL. I honestly do not see the AA/US airline maintaining a hub presence at PHL. Focus city, maybe.

And, as to your other point, if AA simply bought B6, the slot issue would disappear!!! (this possibility has been under discussion for quite a while as well, though it seems to have faded in recent months as the US merger has become more public)
Buying B6 would offer better value and fewer headaches than a merger with that three ring circus called US, particularly if ringmaster Darth Parker is involved in any way.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 3:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
PHX has more domestic O&D passengers than does PHL. But, if AA were simply looking for airports with dom. O&D passenger counts its retreats from BOS and SFO (both bugger than DFW) wouldn't have been quite so complete.

I wouldn't have thought PHL would stand much of a chance as a TATL gateway, but US offers more TATL destinations non-stop from PHL than AA does from JFK.
PHX may have more O&D but PHL almost certainly has more high-revenue business travel. For US, PHL represents a disproportionate share of its revenue.

Having a NE gateway allows for cheaper operation of thinner TATL routes. Yes, it would be great to operate them through JFK but AA has neither the slots for the international service or the domestic feed to make them possible. When you look at routes like PHL-LIS and PHL-GLA, etc. US serves as the logical carrier from a large number of cities throughout the east, midwest and major west coast markets with morning non-stop departures to PHL. AA simply doesn't have that at JFK (or anything close to it).
Old Dec 16, 2012, 3:22 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Posts that veer a bit out on tangents are OK--most of us have been known to do that on occasion (including me ). However, posts that stray completely from the topic at hand have been and will be deleted, in the interest of keeping threads related to their topics. Thanks to everyone for understanding!

~Moderator
Old Dec 16, 2012, 4:19 pm

Programs: QFF
They could reopen BOS and close PHL?
Old Dec 16, 2012, 5:36 pm

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
Originally Posted by Himeno
I sure hope not! I have to believe BOS has more weather issues too.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 6:20 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Himeno
Why? BOS is not well-positioned for a hub. Sure its good for TATL feed but PHL also has a sizeable business connecting smaller airports in the NE to the rest of the country. SYR-PHL-RDU is a lot more palatable than SYR-BOS-RDU for example.

US also has a level of dominance in PHL that could not likely be achieved in BOS given (1) DL's large presence (2) B6's large presence and (3) more international carrier competition (with the exception of LHR, CDG and FRA - US owns the TATL routes it operates - BOS has many more European carrier routes - MUC, FCO, MAD, AMS, etc.).
Old Dec 17, 2012, 6:22 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by LINDEGR
I sure hope not! I have to believe BOS has more weather issues too.
Maybe more weather but the airfield is more capable of handling it in BOS.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 8:14 am

Programs: AA PLT 3MM, DL PM 2MM
ORD Future after AA/US Merger

Speculation. I'm thinking ORD would grow after a merger. Here is my reasoning. Looking at a US map now. OK if you want to make sure you optimize international travel on a now BIG LEGACY you have east coast, miami, texas, LA covered pretty well. What you need is a sweet spot in the middle of the US for Asia and Europe connections. Answer is ORD. So I think merger good news for ORD for AA flyers. Does this make sense?
Old Dec 17, 2012, 8:25 am
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
Yes with US running the show they will add some great new routes, and run the airline properly. Things can only get better.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 9:01 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Amex MR
Count me in as someone who doesn't want a merger. AA is just fine on its own and if it does anything with US it should be after coming out of BK.

I have a flight booked with miles in F this spring MEX-PHX and I really hope I am not watching on the welcome video Doug Parker talk about all the changes we are going to like as they combine to create the worlds leading airline.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

IMO, AA will expand at ORD if it can do so profitably, regardless of the possible merger with US. US brings very little CHI market share to the table and unlike CVG and MEM, ORD won't be one of "too many hubs."
Old Dec 17, 2012, 9:47 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by bcj1949
Speculation. I'm thinking ORD would grow after a merger.
We are containing all merger-related speculation to the US Airways merger speculation thread, where this post and its replies have been moved.

~Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.