Wiki Posts
Search

AMR tumbles more than 10% after pilot contract proposal

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2011, 2:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by Pucnit
While I agree with you and AAExPlat, I doubt that most of the executives would agree to new employement contracts to make the adjustment. This doesn't have as much to do with them working for AA as my experience with executives "forced/asked" to sign new employement agreements.
Then management should realize that they are in a lose/lose situation and may lose again if another owner (and that could be any private equity or investor group wanting to buy the airline out of bankruptcy) comes in and throws everyone else out. Also, employment contracts mean nothing once a Company has filed for Chapter 11.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 2:20 pm

Programs: LT Gold/BA Executive Club/AS MP/Marriott
Originally Posted by AAExPlat
I have agreed with you for some time on this issue, but I am beginning to reverse my position. I think we might be at a point where management could give themselves and board members voluntary paycuts.

It is the only way to gain a chance of consensus with the unions, and beside potentially helping AA financially, it would also be a potentially helpful bargaining chip in the bargaining process...
Management such as Arpey, Horton, etc. would stand to lose a lot of money if AA filed for BK as most of their compensation is based on stock options, etc. I wonder if that's part of the reason why they are hesitant to file.

Now maybe it can be renegotiated during the BK process, but that's a different situation.

That being said, A few people on the top could take a pay cut or even a $1 salary such as Cisco's John Chambers did back during the dot.com bust (but was rewarded later with good options). I think that would certainly improve "good will" and would certainly look good in the media.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 2:36 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Originally Posted by Paint Horse
In regard to understanding how the airline business exists today, the AA pilots are just not very bright. I am always amazed at how stupid technical people in general can be about such things.
I wonder if they'd accept Monopoly money then.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
I bought AMR today because it was at a low today at 1.8/share.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
I bought AMR today because it was at a low today at 1.8/share.
At this point, its close to a "put option" as well anyway. That being said, I'm not touching this stock even in my "simulated account"...
Old Nov 16, 2011, 4:12 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
AA is a stock trading at $1.80 with a $-2.93 EPS and a book of $-14.42 per share, along with cash flow of $500m and levered free cash flow of $-1.27. Me thinks it is time to go ch 11, so that ch 7 does not happen all of a sudden. In my happy dreamtime fairyland AA would file a pre negotiated Ch 11 next week, and be acquired by BA for $1 next week with a new pilot contract.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 4:13 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by Mad4Miles
We need a free market. Let the market set the price for the skill sets employees bring to the job.
That would have to come from Congress as US Labor Law would have to be significantly changed.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 6:02 pm

I have no sympathy for the pilots, flight attendants and other work group demands for more while the company is losing money every quarter. I also believe that management should take a significant salary cut as well as forgoing bonus payouts until the company returns to sustained profitability. That being said, if labor does not realize the dire condition and withdraw the increase demands, I now support AA using chapter 11 to rework the labor cost component.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 7:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, EBS GLD, A|Club PLT, CC Silver, HH GLD
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Then management should realize that they are in a lose/lose situation and may lose again if another owner (and that could be any private equity or investor group wanting to buy the airline out of bankruptcy) comes in and throws everyone else out. Also, employment contracts mean nothing once a Company has filed for Chapter 11.
I would say they would be in an almost lose situation, because significant componets of their employment agreements would be considered wages and employee "wages" and their SERPs depending on how they are built would have significant priority above other debt holders.

Yes, someone may lose $10M in value, but if you still walk away with $5M... oh well.

Also, to take the view point of anyone who has an employment agreement... the company wasn't forced through duress to offer an employment agreement to anyone. Stupidity or negligence on the part of the "independant" compensation committee isn't an employee's fault. It's the shareholder's fault for re-electing the same people over and over....
Old Nov 16, 2011, 8:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP, EBS GLD, A|Club PLT, CC Silver, HH GLD
Originally Posted by shoodawg
... I also believe that management should take a significant salary cut as well as forgoing bonus payouts until the company returns to sustained profitability....
Show me the bonus payments please... just because some executives at crappy companies get bonus payments. Doesn't mean that every corporation is paying out bonus checks every year.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 8:14 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
I think there would be a very good chance that Doug Parker and group will put an offer to buy AA out of bankruptcy.
Do it DOUG, DO IT.
In the late 90s I wanted UA to acquire US and to merge - failed. I fgot to move my miles when I had the chance.
2 years ago I waited for US to acquire DL and to merge - failed. At least saved my NW perks.
Last year I waited for US to acquire UA and to merge - failed. I was ready as CP to lord it over the 1Ks (very humbly of course)
Then I waited for US to acquire AA and to merge -.....
Come on Doug, put in a hostile offer and merge! Perhaps SW will be the white knight this time (An All Texas acquisition and merger Superbowl).
UA/CO is getting too big. Star is too big.
Combine DL US and AA into 1 decent carrier!
We can have a choice of DLUSAA, UACO and SWA and for alliances, Star and oneworld/skytem (onesky or Worldteam)

PS
Dont forget Arpey and Co-file Ch 11 soon, as soon as my LT status tags are here!
Old Nov 16, 2011, 8:36 pm

Programs: BA/AA/UA
People whose jobs are 'protected' in one fashion or another generally do not know or care what it's like for the rest of us, who have to live in the real world.

Typical management advice from the real world: "The Secret to Having Happy Employees? Fire the Other Ones"

http://finance.yahoo.com/career-work...eer-leadership
Old Nov 16, 2011, 9:00 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AA good-riddance, Safeway Club Card Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by Marsden
People whose jobs are 'protected' in one fashion or another generally do not know or care what it's like for the rest of us, who have to live in the real world.
Real US, you mean. Job protection in some form or other is commonplace elsewhere in the western world.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
AA is worth less than half of what Airtran was when WN bought it.

C'mon, WN, take another bite!
Old Nov 17, 2011, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
AA is worth less than half of what Airtran was when WN bought it.

C'mon, WN, take another bite!
Its not just about market cap, but debt as well. WN would have to take on AA's billions of $$$ of liabilities as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.