Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMR tumbles more than 10% after pilot contract proposal

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2011, 11:49 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Science Goy
I'm very glad there are still some jobs out there that insulate their employees from these pitfalls.
There will likely be less of those jobs with every passing year...

Regards
Old Nov 15, 2011, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Science Goy
On the flip side, it'd be pretty awful to be counting on your retirement portfolio at age 65, only to have it lose half its value a few months beforehand. I'm very glad there are still some jobs out there that insulate their employees from these pitfalls.
Prudent investors might diversify and rebalance their portfolio in the years leading up to their expected retirement. Of course that means you can't let it ride up until the day you retire.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 12:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, F9 Elite, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
The pilot union is simply mirroring Orwell's 'groupthink' mantra that ultimately plagued Eastern until it went under: 'FULL PAY TO THE LAST DAY'

The pilot's really need to wake up and realize that any job (especially one as highly paid as a pilot, with low relative productivity to boot) is better than none at all.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 12:03 pm

Programs: DL DM
Can somebody with more intelligence than I have help me understand? What do the pilots hope to gain? Isn't CH11 the next logical step? Won't AA impose far-more dramatic terms in BK court? I just don't understand what they hope will happen.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 12:56 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AA good-riddance, Safeway Club Card Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by bubbashow
Can somebody with more intelligence than I have help me understand? What do the pilots hope to gain? Isn't CH11 the next logical step?
While I'm in no way privy to the nitty-gritty details, this sounds more or less like standard negotiating practice. The pilots aim higher than what they expect to get, the airline aims lower than what they expect to pay, and ultimately they agree on something in the middle. If you start off a negotiation by offering your "compromise" position, you're doing it wrong.

It is funny to see investors panic over something like this, though. Gives me a chance to boost my AMR holdings on the cheap
Old Nov 15, 2011, 1:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Five Star, Avis First
Originally Posted by bubbashow
Can somebody with more intelligence than I have help me understand? What do the pilots hope to gain? Isn't CH11 the next logical step? Won't AA impose far-more dramatic terms in BK court? I just don't understand what they hope will happen.

Have you ever had any of your friends get divorced? This is quite similar

As I posted in another thread, the emotions have overcome logic. Particularly so for the Pilots

The pilots are jilted. Their reasons for being so hurt may be right or wrong (a discussion worthy of Omni as our moderator JDiver correctly likes to say)

Having said that, once you are not thinking practically and thinking only emotionally, you assume a mutual destruction principle that says "I don't care if I die as long as I take you with me". That is what happened at Eastern

A very good friend of mine recently went through a divorce. It was supposed to be very "civil" and "quick". In the end her "ex" decided to get angry and emotional and it took that "civil" divorce nearly 2 years to settle at a cost of hundreds of thousands of dollars. the end result you ask? Pretty much the same the two ex -spouses had put together on paper nearly 2 years ago all by themselves in their dining room when they finally decided to divorce

At this point, SADLY, I see emotions.....
Old Nov 15, 2011, 1:38 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by UnitedSkies
There is still a very big gap between what the pilot's union wants and what management is proposing.
I wonder if many in this thread have never been involved in a negotiation before. Never bought a new car, or bought a house?

The pilots are asking for more than they think they'll eventually be able to get.

Management is offering less then they think that they'll eventually have to give.

It's a negotiation. You don't start out with your best offer.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by LarryJ
It's a negotiation. You don't start out with your best offer.
You do realize this has been going on for five years, do you? We are far from being at the "start."
Old Nov 15, 2011, 2:33 pm

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
There is some level of irony with people at a company asking for more and more and more money when they business is faltering massively like AA (financially).

Apparently some people's greed knows exceeds a normal level of rationality.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ynewman
You do realize this has been going on for five years, do you? We are far from being at the "start."
To be fair, this is the first pay proposal from AA during the entire negotiation. The union began five or more years ago with a demand for a 50% raise, which I believe they later modified to about 30%.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 3:00 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, AA Lifetime Platinum, Delta PM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
I have been praying for an AA bankruptcy. I made a huge dent on my lifetime miles on UA when it went through BK. I was flying PHL-ORD-GRU-GIG-GRU-ORD-PHL for $300 AI. I flew 175K EQMs for less than $2K. Boy......those where the good old days.

I gurantee you if AA goes through BK you will see fares for ~$300 RT for routes like JFK-LAX-NRT-LAX-JFK. Talk bout making EXP in a year for less than $1,500. I hope the pilots commit suicide and drag AA to BK......

Old Nov 15, 2011, 5:05 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by NYC1K
I have been praying for an AA bankruptcy. I made a huge dent on my lifetime miles on UA when it went through BK. I was flying PHL-ORD-GRU-GIG-GRU-ORD-PHL for $300 AI. I flew 175K EQMs for less than $2K. Boy......those where the good old days.

I gurantee you if AA goes through BK you will see fares for ~$300 RT for routes like JFK-LAX-NRT-LAX-JFK. Talk bout making EXP in a year for less than $1,500. I hope the pilots commit suicide and drag AA to BK......

Please seek some professional help. You are seemingly cheering on a bk process involving mass layoffs, significant paycuts to employees, dumping of pension liabilities on the taxpayer (ultimately), and shareholder wipeouts, just so you can save $500-$1000 for a one-year EXP re-qualification. Again...you need professional help.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 7:11 pm

+1 on this.

I do think AA needs to seriously consider ch 11 and reorganize. Its painful to see such an once largest airlines in the world to go down like this. They need to further cut labor and operational costs to compete with others. Ch 11 is the only option they have left.

Originally Posted by AAExPlat
Please seek some professional help. You are seemingly cheering on a bk process involving mass layoffs, significant paycuts to employees, dumping of pension liabilities on the taxpayer (ultimately), and shareholder wipeouts, just so you can save $500-$1000 for a one-year EXP re-qualification. Again...you need professional help.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by Doublejade
+1 on this.

I do think AA needs to seriously consider ch 11 and reorganize. Its painful to see such an once largest airlines in the world to go down like this. They need to further cut labor and operational costs to compete with others. Ch 11 is the only option they have left.
What do we think of the potential for AA to startup a low cost carrier subsidiary and begin shifting the business that way-similar to the way Qantas is shifting business to Jetstar?
Old Nov 15, 2011, 7:26 pm

From business point of view, UA already proved its a failure by dumping Ted. Airlines industry is very different in US compared to in Europe and/or Australia. Heavy on domestic vs international. Also the labor union problem will still be there. Plus AAs mgmt has always been very conservative. That's too aggressive for them.

Originally Posted by shoodawg
What do we think of the potential for AA to startup a low cost carrier subsidiary and begin shifting the business that way-similar to the way Qantas is shifting business to Jetstar?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.