Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMR tumbles more than 10% after pilot contract proposal

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2011, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Doublejade
From business point of view, UA already proved its a failure by dumping Ted.
As did Delta by dumping Song.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by shoodawg
What do we think of the potential for AA to startup a low cost carrier subsidiary and begin shifting the business that way-similar to the way Qantas is shifting business to Jetstar?
The current pilot contract scope clause would force AA to use AA mainline pilots to staff that new low-cost sub. Without a Ch 11 filing (and contract abrogation), that idea wouldn't save AA any money.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Doublejade
Plus AAs mgmt has always been very conservative. That's too aggressive for them.
You're actually wrong here. AA was seriously looking at a low-cost operation on the West Coast back in the early 90's. However, AA had mathematicians who actually ran simulations and they could never make it work financially.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 9:34 pm

Programs: American Airlines British Airways
In regard to understanding how the airline business exists today, the AA pilots are just not very bright. I am always amazed at how stupid technical people in general can be about such things.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 10:42 pm

see next post

Last edited by skylady; Nov 15, 2011 at 10:50 pm
Old Nov 15, 2011, 10:50 pm

Star-Telegram: Pilots union rejects American Airlines' contract proposals

After taking a day to consider comprehensive contract proposals from American Airlines, leaders of the airline's pilots union said Tuesday night that there is no deal and that the two sides need to keep talking.

The Allied Pilots Association board voted 17-1 to send a letter to American CEO Gerard Arpey saying that they are willing to consider creative solutions to the airline's financial problems but that its current proposals are not acceptable.

"Although management's most recent proposal does not sufficiently address our pilots' most critical negotiating priorities, we are nevertheless committed to reaching a mutually beneficial agreement through good-faith bargaining at the earliest opportunity," the union's letter said.

Last edited by dstan; Nov 16, 2011 at 2:06 pm Reason: please avoid full reposting of copyrighted material
Old Nov 15, 2011, 11:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO
Originally Posted by NYC1K
I have been praying for an AA bankruptcy. I made a huge dent on my lifetime miles on UA when it went through BK. I was flying PHL-ORD-GRU-GIG-GRU-ORD-PHL for $300 AI. I flew 175K EQMs for less than $2K. Boy......those where the good old days.

I gurantee you if AA goes through BK you will see fares for ~$300 RT for routes like JFK-LAX-NRT-LAX-JFK. Talk bout making EXP in a year for less than $1,500. I hope the pilots commit suicide and drag AA to BK......

Pretty sure those fares had much more to do with the post 9/11 travel depression than UAL's bankruptcy. Even a company in bankruptcy isn't going to give away tickets at a price cheaper than consumers are willing to pay.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 5:40 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by vxmike
Pretty sure those fares had much more to do with the post 9/11 travel depression than UAL's bankruptcy. Even a company in bankruptcy isn't going to give away tickets at a price cheaper than consumers are willing to pay.
I would agree. The industry has become much more disciplined and the days of airlines doing fire fare sales just to generate some cash are over with. Now that is not to say that another carrier smelling blood in the water would not attact some of AA's lucrative routes with uber low fares. But IMHO were are far from that situation.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 7:00 am

Programs: AA EXP - 8 MM, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond
Labor issues are highly correlated to unions. We need a free market. Let the market set the price for the skill sets employees bring to the job. Pay for performance. Mobilize the work force. If AA is underpaying and not providing good benefits then the pilots/FA/mechanics,etc can go work at UA or who ever is providing a better pay package. This is how most of the private sector works.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 7:14 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Science Goy
It is funny to see investors panic over something like this, though. Gives me a chance to boost my AMR holdings on the cheap
Oh boy... famous last words? (I hope for everyone's sake your investment is lucrative!)
Old Nov 16, 2011, 10:26 am

Programs: I've gone underground!
Originally Posted by sdsearch
As did Delta by dumping Song.
As did US by dropping Metrojet.

As did DL before Song by dropping DL Express.

As did UA before TED by dropping Shuttle by United.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 10:59 am

Programs: LT Gold/BA Executive Club/AS MP/Marriott
Originally Posted by skylady
"Some pilots feel that because they took hefty pay cuts in 2003 -- in some cases losing a third of their pay rate -- single-digit raises are not enough, particularly since executives have received millions of dollars in bonuses even as the airline has lost money."
1-What planet do they live in? This isn't 2003.
2-The "bonuses" (sans Carty and his associates) were approved by the unions.

Originally Posted by Mad4Miles
Labor issues are highly correlated to unions. We need a free market. Let the market set the price for the skill sets employees bring to the job. Pay for performance. Mobilize the work force. If AA is underpaying and not providing good benefits then the pilots/FA/mechanics,etc can go work at UA or who ever is providing a better pay package. This is how most of the private sector works.
+1^
Old Nov 16, 2011, 11:12 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Jacobin777
1-What planet do they live in? This isn't 2003.
2-The "bonuses" (sans Carty and his associates) were approved by the unions.
+1^
I have agreed with you for some time on this issue, but I am beginning to reverse my position. I think we might be at a point where management could give themselves and board members voluntary paycuts.

It is the only way to gain a chance of consensus with the unions, and beside potentially helping AA financially, it would also be a potentially helpful bargaining chip in the bargaining process...
Old Nov 16, 2011, 12:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by AAExPlat
I have agreed with you for some time on this issue, but I am beginning to reverse my position. I think we might be at a point where management could give themselves and board members voluntary paycuts.

It is the only way to gain a chance of consensus with the unions, and beside potentially helping AA financially, it would also be a potentially helpful bargaining chip in the bargaining process...
In light of the losses that AA has incurred, yes I think management should be taking pay cuts. It would also be a way to smooth ruffled feathers at the pilots union.

In Chapter 11, management may be losers too. I think there would be a very good chance that Doug Parker and group will put an offer to buy AA out of bankruptcy. And the decision is up to the creditors not management. Management can put in their two cents like DL did but in the end the creditors vote on who gets control of the reorganized enterprise.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 1:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, EBS GLD, A|Club PLT, CC Silver, HH GLD
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
In light of the losses that AA has incurred, yes I think management should be taking pay cuts. It would also be a way to smooth ruffled feathers at the pilots union.

In Chapter 11, management may be losers too. I think there would be a very good chance that Doug Parker and group will put an offer to buy AA out of bankruptcy. And the decision is up to the creditors not management. Management can put in their two cents like DL did but in the end the creditors vote on who gets control of the reorganized enterprise.
While I agree with you and AAExPlat, I doubt that most of the executives would agree to new employement contracts to make the adjustment. This doesn't have as much to do with them working for AA as my experience with executives "forced/asked" to sign new employement agreements.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.