Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Recline Seat for Nine Hours?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2011, 1:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by raistlin
+1, absolutely. I am 6'3''. I usually try to fly business. I buy comfort seats. I prebook exit rows. But sometimes it happens and I am in coach.

If this happens, buying a second seat would be useless (I am not WIDE, I am LONG), so what I can do is suffer. And ask, gently, to a fellow passenger if he would be so kind as to avoid to recline completely.
I am also pretty tall and a 2nd seat does make a lot of difference since can raise the armrest ( normally ) and then angle out across the extra space ( asusming of course that you get 2 adjacent seats )

Flying economy is uncomfortable if tall, but that isn't the concern of the other passengers and height is one reason why I only fly economy on short flights
Old Oct 8, 2011, 1:46 pm

Use of knee-defender has got to be among the most uncivil, passive-aggressive, self-important, to-hell-with-everyone-else, and selfish things an airline passenger could do to his fellow economy-class travelers.

And while I actually would NOT judge someone for using it automatically (not knowing their personal circumstances or condition-- mental or physical) for someone who uses it to brand OTHER people selfish, judgmental and uncourteous is absolutely hilarious!
Old Oct 8, 2011, 1:47 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); DL Plat
Originally Posted by roberino
The guy in front of you bought an economy seat that reclines and has a published amount of legroom. You did the same. You can't expect him to go without something he has paid for because you bought a ticket for a seat you don't fit in.

Get over it...
A++++++++++ for your comment...if you are that disabled, then you should have a disabled card and ask for disabled seating......Clipper 110a is the epitome of entitlement syndrome going around!

Last edited by boss315; Oct 8, 2011 at 1:48 pm Reason: error
Old Oct 8, 2011, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by Perche
Also, can someone explain what being "written up" means, as I have no experience with that.
It will be noted in your permanent record, along with your high school attendance data. It will be stored in the 'cloud' and linked to your facebook profile.
Old Oct 8, 2011, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by EaglesOhThree
Use of knee-defender has got to be among the most uncivil, passive-aggressive, self-important, to-hell-with-everyone-else, and selfish things an airline passenger could do to his fellow economy-class travelers.

And while I actually would NOT judge someone for using it automatically (not knowing their personal circumstances or condition-- mental or physical) for someone who uses it to brand OTHER people selfish, judgmental and uncourteous is absolutely hilarious!
You mean reclinining as fast as you can and pushing hard on the seat in to a very tall person and crushing their knees on purpose is more civil?
Old Oct 8, 2011, 1:59 pm

Programs: too many
Originally Posted by Perche
I appreciate the feedback and can see that I need to adjust my perspective.
These aren't easy words for any of us to say. ^ to you, sir.
Old Oct 8, 2011, 2:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by vail
You mean reclinining as fast as you can and pushing hard on the seat in to a very tall person and crushing their knees on purpose is more civil?
Your rudeness , by using such a prohibited device, is to attempt to stop someone reclining regardless of how fast or slow they recline their seat
Old Oct 8, 2011, 2:08 pm

No one here advocated that in any way at any time NOR did the OP say that's what he experienced at all- a totally fraudulent distraction to bring that up, when no one in their right mind would excuse that - 'pushing hard on the seat in to a very tall person and crushing their knees on purpose'

In fact, OP here has come around a bit and is showing a lot of class, wisdom and maturity in seeing that things need to be seen as a big picture and from the perspective of all parties in a given situation. You might try the same.
Old Oct 8, 2011, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by EaglesOhThree
No one here advocated that in any way at any time NOR did the OP say that's what he experienced at all- a totally fraudulent distraction to bring that up, when no one in their right mind would excuse that - 'pushing hard on the seat in to a very tall person and crushing their knees on purpose'

In fact, OP here has come around a bit and is showing a lot of class, wisdom and maturity in seeing that things need to be seen as a big picture and from the perspective of all parties in a given situation. You might try the same.
I am not refering to OP when having knees crushed.
I am talking of personal experience.
I do not care what people write on this thread.
I see the rudeness out there first hand.
I have to look no further than the comments posted here--
"the seat is able to recline so it is my right"
"Maybe he should pay people to change seats"

Do you people read what you write?
Then you have the nerve to tell me that?

I am polite in my travel but I take care of myself.
If I am assigned a seat that I did not want because of a flight cancellation I use the knee defender.
Old Oct 8, 2011, 2:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Platinum, HHonors Diamond
I purchased the knee defender for these odd flight cancellations because some people like to see how fast they can recline the seat and see how hard they can push back at the same time.
Yes I am depriving these morons the chance to crush my knees, but I am not going to wait to see if I happen to luck out and the person in front of me will recline slowly and gracefully.
I'm 6' 3" myself, and I typically don't rush to get on the plane for that reason. Usually traveling without carry-on, so why be in a rush to get on the plane, right? But this "knee defender" BS is a good reason to get on board sooner than later to confirm the recline of your seat.

I've had the recline on my seat blocked in the past, and it can take a frustrating while to figure out the cause.

Since then, I've made a point of confirming (before pushing from the gate) that my seat reclines. If it mysteriously doesn't recline later, I'm prepared for the potential conflict. And that had better be the person that gets the "write-up"

I agree that the run of the mill economy seat brings out the t-rex arms trying to work on the computer, so I've given up trying in those situations. It's not justification for saying the person in front of me can't recline.

Last edited by pindento; Oct 8, 2011 at 2:59 pm
Old Oct 8, 2011, 2:22 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by dw210
It will be noted in your permanent record, along with your high school attendance data. It will be stored in the 'cloud' and linked to your facebook profile.
Furthermore, it directly leads to being placed on double-secret probation!
Old Oct 8, 2011, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have in the past been placed on flights where there were no first class seats available because of a flight cancellation.
I purchased the knee defender for these odd flight cancellations because some people like to see how fast they can recline the seat and see how hard they can push back at the same time.
Yes I am depriving these morons the chance to crush my knees, but I am not going to wait to see if I happen to luck out and the person in front of me will recline slowly and gracefully.
Wow. So because you couldn't buy a seat in F, you think you have the right to steal something that someone else paid for. Interesting.

My advice to you: be careful with your Knee Defenders. They are banned by a number of airlines, including AA. And if I find someone using them to try to stop me from enjoying the recline that I paid for, they will NOT be happy with what happens next.
Old Oct 8, 2011, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by PTravel
Wow. So because you couldn't buy a seat in F, you think you have the right to steal something that someone else paid for. Interesting.

My advice to you: be careful with your Knee Defenders. They are banned by a number of airlines, including AA. And if I find someone using them to try to stop me from enjoying the recline that I paid for, they will NOT be happy with what happens next.
A lot of tough people on this thread.
You ever realize that the reason I need the room is I am twice your size.

I do not consider preventing someone from reclining and crushing my knees "stealing" as you put it.
When you recline in to my knees you are in effect taking my space away from me.
It is not your right to see how far back the seat will go at the expense of someone sitting behind you.
That is what everyone here does not seem to realize.
That space first and foremost belongs to the person sitting there.
If you can recline without interfering that is one thing.
But if you feel their knees in your back and think that by reclining hard and fast is a solution and your right than we disagree.

Last edited by vail; Oct 8, 2011 at 2:41 pm
Old Oct 8, 2011, 2:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by ty97
+1 on that. It takes a secure person to realize they need a perspective change, and all of us need them from time to time. When you're "in the moment", things always seem worse than they probably are. That's what's great about sharing your experiences publicly with others - you expose yourself to seeing things from another perspective. ^
Old Oct 8, 2011, 2:40 pm

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ty97
Originally Posted by econometrics
+1 on that. It takes a secure person to realize they need a perspective change, and all of us need them from time to time. When you're "in the moment", things always seem worse than they probably are. That's what's great about sharing your experiences publicly with others - you expose yourself to seeing things from another perspective. ^
rare and very welcome for a IBB. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.