Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Recline Seat for Nine Hours?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2011, 8:03 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass, American AAdvantage, Hyatt
Originally Posted by kayjay
I woud have immediately brought that to the attention of the purser.
More 10 year old tattle-tails. Does anyone realize how childish it is, which ever side of the argument you're on, to call a FA on an issue like this. Get over it, nobody is comfortable in Y anymore. I only wish we still could be.
Old Oct 9, 2011, 8:38 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K
Originally Posted by cody77
More 10 year old tattle-tails. Does anyone realize how childish it is, which ever side of the argument you're on, to call a FA on an issue like this. Get over it, nobody is comfortable in Y anymore. I only wish we still could be.
If someone uses a banned device to prevent me from reclining I am going to ask for help from the FA. I don't want to confront someone doing something so overtly malicious because if he/she goes crazy (not a huge leap for someone willing to use such a device...) and tries to start a fight I know there's chance I would be removed from the aircraft.
Old Oct 9, 2011, 9:20 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by mvoight
I don't see how the passenger was "aggressively" reclining.
The OP's version:
Originally Posted by Perche
My knees were momentarily pinned, preventing his seat from going all the way back. Before I could free my knees he started aggressively pushing backward to fully recline, causing me to audibly "ouch," then push his seat forward to free my knees so that I could put them in the aisle. He then went all the way back. It was clear from his demeanor that he wanted to be all the way back. He never slept, worked, etc.
Originally Posted by mvoight
The only mention of reclining 9 hours was in the subject line "Recline Seat for Nine Hours? "
No.
Originally Posted by Perche
The seat in front was reclined the whole flight, even for meals, such that I couldn't even open my food tray.
Old Oct 9, 2011, 9:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
lol, wow. This one is STILL going?

I suppose I should add "airline seat recline" to my uncle's list of things to never talk about at his house. Along with politics and religion, of course.
Old Oct 9, 2011, 9:35 pm

Personally i rather approach a FA to deal with the issue than turning it into an embarrassing heated argument and possibly fist fight......... Worse, the noise wakes the other folks up, then gets recorded onto Youtube, being tweeted upon landing and posted on CNN travel news

If the person is civilized enough, sure I wont tattle tail......but, if someone is potentially miserable and grumpy, i wont take my chances

My view........... Fixed Shell seats!
Old Oct 9, 2011, 9:49 pm

Programs: Phoenician Airlines
Agree that summoning a flight attendant is the right course--I also do that when I find someone in my seat upon boarding, it takes them a few seconds and it saves me three seconds of awkwardness.
Old Oct 9, 2011, 10:00 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Originally Posted by PTravel
have you ever seen an instance in which one of these tall blokes scrunched down in his seat at a movie theater so that someone short, like my, wife can actually see the movie screen? Have you ever seen one of these tall blokes at a parade tell a shorter person behind him, "Here, now, why don't you step in front of me so that you can see better?"
Yes, I have. My brother is 6'5" and often moves so a shorter person can stand in front of him to better see.

I've seen him do just that hundreds of times. He's a very polite person. He says, often, that he's going to have "Put The Tall Guy In The Back" engraved on his tombstone.
Old Oct 9, 2011, 11:03 pm

Programs: AA 2MillionMiler, BA ExecutiveClub, UA MileagePlus, AS MileagePlan
Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
Yes, I have. My brother is 6'5" and often moves so a shorter person can stand in front of him to better see.

I've seen him do just that hundreds of times. He's a very polite person. He says, often, that he's going to have "Put The Tall Guy In The Back" engraved on his tombstone.
That's really nice of him. I wish more people were as thoughtful.

As a 'shorter' person, I don't find this to happen very often. In fact, I find that taller people (perhaps due to their line-of-sight) do not even notice short people.

I do not want to take this to a "short-vs-tall" discussion, but in the (few) cases where being short is to my advantage (like flying in coach) I feel that I should be able to recline if I want to (which I don't usually do.)

Tall or short doesn't matter. If the seat reclines, that's the way it is. Even as a short person, I prefer if the person in front of me doesn't recline. But I don't always have a choice.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 1:17 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM+, HHonors, Amtrak GuestRewards
Hey, 12 pages.

I thought one of the posts on page 1 was to the point: The passenger in question has a significant medical issue, and, voila, AA regularly assists people with such issues, ahead of the flight, by arranging seat assignments (e.g., the bulkhead row) to accommodate them.

In fact, AA recently assisted a friend of mine with terminal cancer, who was making her first (and only) transatlantic trip to Paris and Rome, to get a seat assignment that would work with her. We did contact AA well in advance of the flight, but they couldn't have been more helpful--and she didn't have any sort of status on AA.

In this case, the ticket was purchased weeks out, and the passenger could easily, one thinks, have availed himself of AA's assistance to get an acceptable coach seat.

As a 6'3" guy who has been crammed into my share of RJ and mainline coach seats, I feel for the OP. Were my health clearly at stake, I'd like to think I would make a phone call, though.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 9:10 am

Programs: AA lifetime platinum, Jet Blue Mosaic
This has nothing to do with kneeing the reclining seat. This has to do with the placement of an illegal, artificial devise to prevent me from doing something that a am entitiled to do, legally morally and ethically, that is reclining my seat.

What do you think the reaction would be from the person using an artifical devise to prevent me from reclining seat? A humble apology? More likely a middle finger response.

The childishness is on the part of the person who uses such a devise. The adult action on the part of the reclinee would have been to politely request some sort of accomocation from the recliner
Old Oct 10, 2011, 11:24 am
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Originally Posted by kayjay
This has nothing to do with kneeing the reclining seat. This has to do with the placement of an illegal, artificial devise to prevent me from doing something that a am entitiled to do, legally morally and ethically, that is reclining my seat.

What do you think the reaction would be from the person using an artifical devise to prevent me from reclining seat? A humble apology? More likely a middle finger response.

The childishness is on the part of the person who uses such a devise. The adult action on the part of the reclinee would have been to politely request some sort of accomocation from the recliner
My solution has been more direct. If I know my seat is supposed to be able to recline, I just push back until it does. I believe that I have broken at least 2 seat defenders in my travels.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 11:58 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles

Programs: DL (duh), AA 1MM, Bonvoy Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by econometrics
lol, wow. This one is STILL going?

I suppose I should add "airline seat recline" to my uncle's list of things to never talk about at his house. Along with politics and religion, of course.
What's hysterical is AA hasn't been mentioned since Page 1.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 12:00 pm

Programs: AA Peon Gold
I'd be interested to hear the other side of this story, including the OP's tone of voice during the discussion with the F/As. Surely the hyperbole regarding having his "knees in his chest" certainly didn't bolster his case.

To me, the OP comes off as a bit entitled and for some reason, I'm thinking the whole sticking his knees into his neighbors backside was borne more out of some passive aggressive resentment than it was necessity.

You're an ex-plat and you made that very clear to us in the OP(DYKWIA?). You should have known what you were in for given that you fly over 100k miles/year. In light of that, I'm having a bit of trouble feeling any sympathy.

Personally i rather approach a FA to deal with the issue than turning it into an embarrassing heated argument and possibly fist fight......... Worse, the noise wakes the other folks up, then gets recorded onto Youtube, being tweeted upon landing and posted on CNN travel news
Exactly. Like it or not, the F/As are the only ones in the cabin that have any real authority. If I've got some guy sticking his knees into my back, I'm not going to waste my time arguing back and forth with him which will ultimately end up in him telling me to pi** off if not something more severe. Given all of the mid-air fist fight stories we see on a regular basis, I'm not inclined to escalate or perpetuate a confrontation in a metal tube, 37,000 ft up in the air.

Were my health clearly at stake, I'd like to think I would make a phone call, though.
Indeed, and that's where personal responsibility comes in as well. If your health is fragile to the extent that you can't withstand a 9 hour flight in economy, then you shouldn't have flown. That's not AA's fault and it's certainly not the fault of the guy who is sitting in front of you.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by WRCSolberg
I'd be interested to hear the other side of this story, including the OP's tone of voice during the discussion with the F/As. Surely the hyperbole regarding having his "knees in his chest" certainly didn't bolster his case.

To me, the OP comes off as a bit entitled and for some reason, I'm thinking the whole sticking his knees into his neighbors backside was borne more out of some passive aggressive resentment than it was necessity.

You're an ex-plat and you made that very clear to us in the OP(DYKWIA?). You should have known what you were in for given that you fly over 100k miles/year. In light of that, I'm having a bit of trouble feeling any sympathy.

Exactly. Like it or not, the F/As are the only ones in the cabin that have any real authority. If I've got some guy sticking his knees into my back, I'm not going to waste my time arguing back and forth with him which will ultimately end up in him telling me to pi** off if not something more severe. Given all of the mid-air fist fight stories we see on a regular basis, I'm not inclined to escalate or perpetuate a confrontation in a metal tube, 37,000 ft up in the air.

Indeed, and that's where personal responsibility comes in as well. If your health is fragile to the extent that you can't withstand a 9 hour flight in economy, then you shouldn't have flown. That's not AA's fault and it's certainly not the fault of the guy who is sitting in front of you.
The OP has long since stated that he's come around on some of this-- try reading back a bit- it's long-past time to excoriate him as you've done here
Old Oct 10, 2011, 12:13 pm

Sour grapes

The Am ExPlat is DEAR WRONG here. I am an AA Plat - and I NEVER rely on upgrades for such a long flight. I only take flights I can upgrade with miles to Business or First or buy the damned ticket outright. Or I won't fly. Period. At 6 foot 1 and >250 lbs I could never sit in coach for 9 hours and would EXPECT my knees to be crushed.

I agree with those who say "Get Over It".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.