Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA151 BCN-JFK ugh

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2011, 10:57 am

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Originally Posted by JEFFJAGUAR
3. Now I know this will make some people laugh at me but it's become almost comical. During the beverage service, I asked for a coke zero. No we don't have coke zero but we'll give you diet coke. Of course they didn't give me diet coke, they gave me coke light. Now coke light is not the same drink, doesn't taste anywhere near diet coke no matter what you might have heard or believe. As a matter of fact, why AA continues to serve diet coke or coke light is beyond me as sales of coke zero, especially in Europe, have shot way ahead of the silver cans. But then the intersting thing, after the meal servide i went to the back and asked for and got a diet coke. But when the snack came in an hour before landing at JFK, I asked for a diet coke and again got a coke light. Disgusting, at least to me (although many here will probably laugh).
Can we merge this with the "AA starved me for 10 hours"? Perhaps a sticky for all those that have had a Geneva Convention violating experience imposed by AA?
Old Aug 22, 2011, 11:10 am

Programs: AA- EXP; Hilton Gold; MLife Gold
I flew AA67 BCN-JFK on Sat 8/20. I was handed an English-language U.S. customs form upon check-in (Priority AAccess line). I didn't see whether or not the standard check-in line received them, too.

Once onboard, the crew announced (multiple times & very apologetically) that the plane had only been loaded with Spanish-language U.S. customs forms. They helpfully referred people to the appropriate page in the in-flight magazine for a reverse translation as needed. It sounds like this problem hadn't been solved by Sunday. Who knows if it was even AA's fault? Maybe ICE was out of English ones and couldn't re-supply on the weekend? Not saying that's what happened, but it's a possibility.

I can imagine it added a small level of inconvenience to non-Spanish speakers onboard (but hadn't they been functioning in a non-English speaking culture for the duration of their stay in Spain?) In the big scheme of things, though, this was a minor glitch not even worth a second thought.

A much bigger concern is that the Glenlivet was all gone with three hours left until landing...
Old Aug 22, 2011, 11:26 am
Original Poster

I really started somethng here, didn't I. Again forgive me this was the first time I had ever been on an AA intercontinental flight without the little screens and really wasn't expecting that....I stated I understood the 1.5 hour delay in BCN. The soda thing is my own personal hangup (and diet coke and coke light are most assuredly two different drinks) but again no big deal I suppose. Not being told upon arrival in JFK there would be a delay in baggage service, again you can say no big deal and in the scheme of things probably not but an annoucement would have been nice. Buried there a couple of stories below the ground in the US customs/immigration hall we had no way of knowing what was going on outside and when I drove home, really had few problems.

However, after a day to chill, I accept all the flaming to roll with the punches except I still think there is something seriously deficient somewhere when AA does not distribute Customs Declaration Forms at all during the flight and to have none in English and don't make excuses for them or blame me here. They did not distribute Customs Declaration Forms unless asked and none of them were in English. That simply should not happen and while it certainly was not earth shattering, there was a rush at theone desk with the cards and frankly I like to have the card all filled out when I get off the plane. That one, nobody can tell me is the way things should be done and was probably the root cause of my anger for whatever it was worth!
Old Aug 22, 2011, 11:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SportUniversaal
I flew AA67 BCN-JFK on Sat 8/20. I was handed an English-language U.S. customs form upon check-in (Priority AAccess line). I didn't see whether or not the standard check-in line received them, too.

Once onboard, the crew announced (multiple times & very apologetically) that the plane had only been loaded with Spanish-language U.S. customs forms. They helpfully referred people to the appropriate page in the in-flight magazine for a reverse translation as needed. It sounds like this problem hadn't been solved by Sunday. Who knows if it was even AA's fault? Maybe ICE was out of English ones and couldn't re-supply on the weekend? Not saying that's what happened, but it's a possibility.

I can imagine it added a small level of inconvenience to non-Spanish speakers onboard (but hadn't they been functioning in a non-English speaking culture for the duration of their stay in Spain?) In the big scheme of things, though, this was a minor glitch not even worth a second thought.

A much bigger concern is that the Glenlivet was all gone with three hours left until landing...
The one difference on my flight is there were no annoucements regarding the Customs Declaration Forms, absolutely none. I had to ask for one and no I wasn't sleeping when they passed by and then the person next to me and in front of me asked. I would call that, at the very least, sloppy, wouldn't you?
Old Aug 22, 2011, 12:06 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Awhile back on an SJO-DFW flight, the lead FA apologized profusely for having only forms in Spanish loaded on the flight. She went through, line by line, asking anybody who didn't speak Spanish to follow along and fill out their forms and she translated:

"Line 1 says apellido. That's your last name. [pause] Line 2 says nombre. Fill in your first name ..."

Of course, there were a few pax who were doing other things at the time and didn't take advantage of the help and said later, "Excuse me. This form is in Spanish."
Old Aug 22, 2011, 12:29 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K
Originally Posted by SFO777
+1
I have not seen Diet Coke available anywhere outside North America. There may have been some Diet Coke left over from the inbound flight but BCN catering will only be loading Coke Light.
I think Coke Light is more common throughout the world, but in the past couple of months I've seen Diet Coke while traveling in at least Egypt, Australia, India and Japan. Not sure what other countries other than U.S.A./Canada/U.K. sell under that name though.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 12:30 pm

Programs: AA (PPro/3MM/Admirals Club), AS, UA, Marriott (Gold), HHonors (Gold), Accor (Plat)
Originally Posted by JEFFJAGUAR
Mak..just to be clear when I wrote the original post, I was unaware just how bad it might have been at JFK this afternoon...we landed at 1600 and while it was raining hard, it didn't seem to be all that bad and I got home and stewed a bit. I just didn't realize how bad it was at JFK but as I said, a whole bunch of things came together and while you're right, my problems, not that I understand what was going on and really didn't...I'[m in Brooklyn and it wasn't all that bad driving from JFK to Brooklyn, I still think there could have been annoucements regarding the baggage you know due to safety considerations, your baggage will be delayed. The soft drink thing is a pet peeve of mine and has always been and yes I know I sometimes get laughed at for this....I really didn't know that AA still flies plans without the individual screens, this is the first time I've run into that on all my international flights with AA. The customs declarations form thing, well there is something wrong with not having customs declaration forms n English; on that I stand my ground that it is wrong and like I said, apparently this happens all the time on that flight.

So please forgive my total ignorance. As the previous post indicated, a whole series of petty things ended in the bad weather at JFK. For this, I will accept my punishment hoping it is nothing greater than 10 lashes with a wet noodle.
It's OK. I have just learned over a million plus actual butt-in-seat miles that things are going to go wrong. I take care of myself as best I can. I have things to keep me busy, things to make it easier to sleep, some simple food if I need to eat, etc.

I got to JFK yesterday just before 16:30. While I was getting ready to go through security (putting contents of my pockets inside my bags, etc.), lightning flashed follow almost instantly by loud thunder claps. So it was painfully obvious that things at JFK were about to get bad. I looked at some of the flight status sites after clearing security and they showed a full ground stop for a while. So everything backed up. Maybe your luggage couldn't be delivered because the bag handlers were taking shelter from the lightning storm.

The AAngel complimented me on how "sweet" I was during the delays. I told her I was far from sweet all of the time, but it was obvious today that the weather was terrible and that things were going to require patience.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 12:54 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
***CUSTOMS FORMS***

I flew BCN JFK on 8/16 and I also had the issue with the customs forms.
There was an announcement during the flight that they "had limited customs forms available" and that we should have received the forms at check-in and that some of the forms might not be in English. They also said that forms are readily available at the immigrations area.

I was not given any forms during check-in (Business Class counter).

My flight was also delayed for the same reason (inbound flight from JFK late), so the FA happily suggesting, as if it was not a big deal, that I could get forms at the airport really irritated me because I did not want to waste time filling the form at the airport and I just wanted to run through imm/customs to make my connecting flight.

Fortunately, a few minutes after the announcement I went to the Galley and one of the FA's gave me a form in English.

The OP flew BCN JFK on 8/22, SportUniversaal on 8/20, me on 8/16.
What's the deal with the custom forms? (same problem on three different dates for the same flight) I will make sure I get one at check-in next time!

****763 vs 777 IFE****
Just a quick comment. For Y cabin, while there is no in-seat IFE on the 763, I much prefer the 763 exit row 21 than the 777 exit row 31. While the leg room on the 763 is not unlimited it is still pretty good and I do get under the seat storage and the convenience of the seat pockets to store my glasses, phones, etc.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 3:56 pm

Programs: AS, BA, AA
1. Nothing unusual here.

2. Yes - AA IFE is terrible, and even when it is on the plane, half the time there is something wrong with my particular screen or controls. Always bring your own entertainment. Always.

3. From the Coca-Cola website:
2. What is the difference between Coca-Cola Zero®, Diet Coke® and Coke/Coca-Cola light®?

Coca-Cola Zero provides real Coca-Cola taste for variety-seeking consumers. Coca-Cola Zero is sweetened with a blend of low-calorie sweeteners, while Diet Coke is sweetened with aspartame. As for Coke/Coca-Cola light, in certain countries, the term "diet" is not used to describe low-calorie foods and beverages. In these countries, we offer Coke/Coca-Cola light. The sweetener blend used for Coke/Coca-Cola light is formulated for each country based on consumer preference.
4. Agreed, baggage handling at JFK is evil, and is only compounded by the drAAgons running around policing cell phone usage while you wait for hours for your bag. JFK only place I've seen an airline employee enforce the cell phone rules. Of course, when your luggage is delayed for an hour, there is a greater chance you will need to make a phone call during the delay - so maybe JFK has a bigger problem with this that other airports.

(5) The airline provides customs forms as a courtesy. About half the time, AA doesn't have the forms on the plane. There are always plenty of blank forms at customs if you didn't manage to snag one before you land. I avoid all of this with Global Entry; I highly recommend it.

Overall, not much here that a frequent flyer should find noteworthy...

PS - I don't think you understand what the word 'laced' means. Laced implies small amounts of adulterants. e.g. She laced his food with sleeping pills. Sugar is a fundamental ingredient of Coke. Saying Coke is 'laced' with sugar is like saying bread is 'laced' with flour. Considering that laced usually implies a toxin, drug, poison or chemical, I would find it much more appropriate to say, "Diet Coke and Coke Zero are laced with artificial sweeteners."
Old Aug 22, 2011, 5:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP/OW Emerald
That is fascinating on the whole Coke Light thing. I'm a heavy diet coke/coke light/coke zero drinker. I always figured Coke Light and Diet Coke were basically the same thing, just named differently due to legal restrictions on the word "diet" in most countries not named the "United States".

I've never noticed a taste difference between coke light and diet coke in my travels but clearly from Coke's site there could be one. I certainly do not fault the FAs for knowing this intricate detail and would expect them to distribute coke light and diet coke as equals. I do not think chemical sweeteners of sodas is part of FAA training.

Next time if it is a big deal just politely ask if they happen to have any coke light specifically. Or fly on Cathay, they do stock Coke Zero.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 11:50 am

This may be a shock to some, but even regular Coke uses different sugars in different countries and it may taste differently. So Diet Coke is the same as Coke Light (or isn't, just as regular Coke is or isn't depending on whether you can tell the difference).
Old Aug 23, 2011, 12:06 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by mirobatka
This may be a shock to some, but even regular Coke uses different sugars in different countries and it may taste differently.
Thankfully, in many countries, they do not use the evil high fructose corn syrup in Coca Cola.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 12:38 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum; Marriott Platinum
Is this thread for real? It almost seems TIC.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 12:45 pm

Programs: Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, AA Lifetime Gold
I ordered a Sprite the other day at a restaurant and they brought me a Sierra Mist. I asked for the owner so that I could complain but they sent me the manager instead! I was so livid that I asked for a pencil and paper so that I could send a complaint letter to OSHA but all they had was a pen -- no pencil! It was almost comical!
Old Aug 23, 2011, 5:19 pm

Programs: CO Gold, AA Plat, Marriott Gold
I appreciate that the OP is willing to take the heat dished to him in stride, joke about it, and admit that some of his complaints were a little silly.

And I've definitely been there... had a rough day and, suddenly, inconveniences seem much larger than they are. So I definitely don't mean to pile on. But I just can't help but think of this video when reading the initial post:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2p5svFJ9cQ

Funny stuff. :-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.