Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA151 BCN-JFK ugh

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2011, 6:34 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
I find AA to be generally good about giving out the U.S. Customs forms at check-in or on the flight itself. But sometimes they do run out, or do run out of the forms in English. It happens. My ports of entry are usually DFW and MIA. When I'm entering the immigration hall there, I might grab an extra form or two and keep them with my travel bags. I don't hoard them, but I always have an extra one or two blank forms for those rare situations when AA does run out.

Diet Coke and Coca-Cola Light are not quite the same thing, but what did you do while you were in Barcelona? It's Coke Light that's available in most of the world. I seriously doubt you found Diet Coke on the ground there. I don't see AA flying over a supply of Diet Coke to BCN to be able to cater the return flight with it. They'll cater BCN-JFK with what's available in Barcelona.

Don't sweat the small stuff.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by SJOGuy
Diet Coke and Coca-Cola Light are not quite the same thing, but what did you do while you were in Barcelona? It's Coke Light that's available in most of the world. I seriously doubt you found Diet Coke on the ground there. I don't see AA flying over a supply of Diet Coke to BCN to be able to cater the return flight with it. They'll cater BCN-JFK with what's available in Barcelona.
+1
I have not seen Diet Coke available anywhere outside North America. There may have been some Diet Coke left over from the inbound flight but BCN catering will only be loading Coke Light.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 6:45 am
Original Poster

I find AA to be generally good about giving out the U.S. Customs forms at check-in or on the flight itself. But sometimes they do run out, or do run out of the forms in English. It happens. My ports of entry are usually DFW and MIA. When I'm entering the immigration hall there, I might grab an extra form or two and keep them with my travel bags. I don't hoard them, but I always have an extra one or two blank forms for those rare situations when AA does run out.

Don't sweat the small stuff.
Like I said and I'm not trying to belabor the point, I have never been given the US customs forms at check in and as I said somewhat earlier in the thrad I don't understand why they don't give it to you automatically at chck in For the most part, they don't have to worry any longer about the visa waiver form; no longer required. It would seem very easy to distribute the fpr, at check in where you can fill it in leisurly in the departure lounge rather than on the cramped service table and yes, they do usually remember to distribute the forms on board. But again, I'll repeat on this flight, there were none distributed and when I asked in the last hour of the flight, was told they only had forms in Spanish. I'm sorry, while many of my complaints I will agree are trivial, this one is not so trivial. No excuse for this. None whatsoever.

As far as coke vs. diet coke in Barcelona, the solution was simple. Coke zero. As noted, in most parts of Europe, coke zero is readilly availabloe more so than coke light!
Old Aug 22, 2011, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by JEFFJAGUAR
... I'm in Brooklyn...
Aha, just read that part.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 6:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SFO777
+1
I have not seen Diet Coke available anywhere outside North America. There may have been some Diet Coke left over from the inbound flight but BCN catering will only be loading Coke Light.
You're right, provided you exclude the UK and Irreland where there is no coke light and only diet coke (along with coke zero and sugar laced regular coke) is sold although some stores do import coke light from god knows where under conditions especially during the summer of god knows what. If in London you go into any store with coke light, it was not made in the UK and was imported and if you look closely at the cans, it may come from Georgia (not Atlanta of course), Armenia, Turkey or wherever. Will never tough the stuff (in London I've become addicted to their version of diet coke with cherry, a drink that is so cherry laced, it reminds me of the cough medicine my parents used to force down my throat. But it's good!)
Old Aug 22, 2011, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Okay, let's see...

Originally Posted by JEFFJAGUAR
Well today it was my misfortune to fly AA151 a flight from BCN to JFK...let me tell you it was just an awful awful mess...

1. When I arrived at BCN airport, it was announced the flight was delayed 1.5 hours because of the late arrival of the plane the previous night and the mandatory down time for the crew. Okay...I was going to JFK and did not have to worry about connecting flight so that was no big deal but it got the day off to a terrible start.
While delays certainly are unpleasant, they have become the reality of international air travel today. Since you were not connecting onward from JFK, no need to get stressed out. Just enjoy more time in the lounge and/or shopping! I don't see how #1 contributed to an "awful awful mess."

2. Was shocked to see AA is flying an intercontinental aircraft without the little screens so I can watch what I want to watch not the one movie they decide to put on a big screen. As my eye sight isn't great, I c ouldn't even see the movie on the screen nearest to me and of course if I didn't like the movie, well I couldn't ut up say the air map which is always my second chooice to keep me aware of the flight status. Can't believe this actually happens in the 21st century. Why haven't the little screen been introduced on this aircraft on its transcontinental routes?
AA's in-flight entertainment options are well documented on AA.com, and most informed consumers do their research when booking tickets. If having a PTV at your seat was very important to you, you could have routed via LHR in order to fly on the 772 that offers PTVs. Alternatively, since you have trouble seeing a small screen, you could have brought your own entertainment (laptop, iPad, etc). Not AA's fault.

The one point on which I agree with you is that I would much prefer to have the flight map available on the main screens throughout the flight instead of the trashy TV programming after the feature film(s).

3. Now I know this will make some people laugh at me but it's become almost comical. During the beverage service, I asked for a coke zero. No we don't have coke zero but we'll give you diet coke. Of course they didn't give me diet coke, they gave me coke light. Now coke light is not the same drink, doesn't taste anywhere near diet coke no matter what you might have heard or believe. As a matter of fact, why AA continues to serve diet coke or coke light is beyond me as sales of coke zero, especially in Europe, have shot way ahead of the silver cans. But then the intersting thing, after the meal servide i went to the back and asked for and got a diet coke. But when the snack came in an hour before landing at JFK, I asked for a diet coke and again got a coke light. Disgusting, at least to me (although many here will probably laugh).
Okay, I'm not even going to wade into this one, since I don't drink these products and cannot speak from experience. I will say, though, that I vividly remember when Diet Coke was renamed Coca Cola Light throughout most of the world (outside USA), and the product was marketed to be the same product, just with a different name. I suspect that different countries' bottlers use slightly different formulae subject to local ingredient availability, as well as different carbonated water, of course, leading to slight variations in taste.

4. Okay we land at JFK and get to immigration and no other flights are there. Quickly through passport contorl and then wait and wait and wait at the carousel. No announcements are made. Meanwhile people remember are 1.5 hours late already and many have connecting flights. Apparently there was some thunder and lightning but still an annoucement could have been made. And then to add insult to injury, two other flights come in one fro Santo Domingo and the other from Rome and guess what.....despite the fact our flight had arrived first, their baggage came down the carousel ahead of ours. What kind of nonsense is that.
I admit that I completely feel for you on this one. There is nothing worse after a long flight than standing at a luggage carousel, and AA's contract baggage handlers at JFK are notorious for working slowly and out of order.

But you could have done some things to help yourself:
1) Don't check bags in the first place! (I haven't checked a bag in over 2 years!)
2) Taken out your laptop/iPad and gotten some stuff done (or enjoyed some entertainment) while waiting
3) Read a book/Kindle

Altogether a most unpleasant experience.
Perhaps unpleasant, but IMHO, not the "awful awful mess" to use your words from the top of your post. It sounds to me as though you are not fully in tune with the realities of international air travel today. They require you to have patience and not to allow yourself to get tied up in knots over things like Coke Light.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 8:05 am

Programs: UA Plat, AA Gold
Cant. Resist. Posting.

*Sob story*

"Oh? Really? What happened next? Did you fly through the air, incredibly, like a bird? Did you partake in the miracle of human flight? People, like, they say there’s delays on flights. Delays? Really? New York to California in five hours. That used to take 30 years. Plus, half of you would die on the way there.”

http://blogs.wsj.com/middleseat/2008...ing-travelers/
Old Aug 22, 2011, 9:00 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, Skymiles, EleVAte founding member, SPG
Originally Posted by ESpen36
Okay, I'm not even going to wade into this one, since I don't drink these products and cannot speak from experience. I will say, though, that I vividly remember when Diet Coke was renamed Coca Cola Light throughout most of the world (outside USA), and the product was marketed to be the same product, just with a different name. I suspect that different countries' bottlers use slightly different formulae subject to local ingredient availability, as well as different carbonated water, of course, leading to slight variations in taste.
I had a very small part in Coke's advertising many years ago and I've been following the product ever since.

Diet Coke/Coke Light vary in different parts of the world. A big reason is that Aspartame is a very expensive ingredient and in some regions the retail cost of the product can't support use of the ingredient. Or it's a mix of Aspartame and another sweetener.

Diet Coke vs. Coke Zero (US versions) is mostly a marketing thing. The ingredients vary slightly, but the main reason is that research shows that guys see Diet Coke as a drink for women. The name Coke Zero was intended to appeal to men. There is indeed a slight difference in taste, but not nearly as much as, say, Tab vs. Diet Coke. A quick tipoff as to the guy/girl thing is the packaging. Coke Zero is in a "butch" black can. Diet Coke is in a more neutral silver can.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 9:02 am

Programs: AA 1.5 MM Exec Plat, WN A-List, DL Silver, UA nonrev
Originally Posted by wiredboy10003

<snip>

Diet Coke vs. Coke Zero (US versions) is mostly a marketing thing. The ingredients vary slightly, but the main reason is that research shows that guys see Diet Coke as a drink for women. The name Coke Zero was intended to appeal to men. There is indeed a slight difference in taste, but not nearly as much as, say, Tab vs. Diet Coke. A quick tipoff as to the guy/girl thing is the packaging. Coke Zero is in a "butch" black can. Diet Coke is in a more neutral silver can.
Interesting. I think Diet Coke and Coke Zero taste nothing alike.

Coke Zero was intended to taste more like regular Coke, no?
Old Aug 22, 2011, 9:03 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
As for the Diet Coke/Coke Light thing, a big part of surviving international travel is rolling with the punches. Things are not going to be like they are back home, nor should anyone expect them to be. Even with an entity called "American Airlines," there are going to be small differences among the many countries in which it operates.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 9:11 am

Even if you got one of the brand new giant Swiss A340s in business class, there's still no Coke Zero!
Old Aug 22, 2011, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Wirelessly posted (Apple iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

As for the Diet Coke/Coke Light thing, a big part of surviving international travel is rolling with the punches. Things are not going to be like they are back home, nor should anyone expect them to be. Even with an entity called "American Airlines," there are going to be small differences among the many countries in which it operates.
Well said! Indeed, when in Rome...
Old Aug 22, 2011, 10:19 am

Programs: DL PM & AA Gold and other stuff
Originally Posted by richfish13
Cant. Resist. Posting.

*Sob story*

"Oh? Really? What happened next? Did you fly through the air, incredibly, like a bird? Did you partake in the miracle of human flight? People, like, they say there’s delays on flights. Delays? Really? New York to California in five hours. That used to take 30 years. Plus, half of you would die on the way there.”

http://blogs.wsj.com/middleseat/2008...ing-travelers/
^^^
Old Aug 22, 2011, 10:49 am

Programs: AA LT PLT, DL PLT, HH DIA, IHG PLT, Hertz PLT, Bonvoy GLD, Avis Pres Club
I'll only address the most relevant part of this thread :

Diet Coke is the # 2 selling soda in the world. #1 is regular coke, and #3 is regular pepsi.

With respect to the "completely different formula", the only difference is the combination of sweeteners used. In countries where it is not banned, CCE uses Sodium Cyclamate because it is much cheaper than the Aspartame blend used in the USA. Unfortunately, like all of the artificial sweeteners, it has been found to cause cancer in lab rats (when consuming the equivalent of 350 servings per day).
Old Aug 22, 2011, 10:57 am

Programs: AA PLT MM
... I will like to add my 2¢ to this Coke thread ... I am not a big soda (yes soda, it ain't "pop") drinker, but I do prefer the sugar sweetened EU version of the Real Thing to the corn-syrup sweetened US version. Oh wait, AA Forum ... right. Sorry.

As for BCN-JFK being a 767, that's the reason I went BCN-LHR <shower/eat> -JFK just a few months ago.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.