Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

LAX / Los Angeles Int'l. Priority Access now at EAST end of T-4 (21 Jun 2011)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LAX / Los Angeles Int'l. Priority Access now at EAST end of T-4 (21 Jun 2011)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2011, 8:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 1MM, Lifetime Gold, OW Emerald
I just flew RT LAX-LHR and used the new First Class check-in and security lanes. I am an EXP, flew upgraded J on this trip using SWU. The check-in section had stations for both First Class and Business Class flyers. Even if I had not upgraded to J, I still would have gone to the new First Class check-in since as an EXP or PLT we are entitled to check-in at any First Class or Business Class desk, as applicable.

Once checked in I took the escalator upstairs to the new TSA room. This area is completely isolated from the general TSA area. Not a body scan to be found! This is a much improved set up all around.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 9:05 pm

Programs: AA SPG Amex
Originally Posted by jj1904
I just flew RT LAX-LHR and used the new First Class check-in and security lanes. I am an EXP, flew upgraded J on this trip using SWU. The check-in section had stations for both First Class and Business Class flyers. Even if I had not upgraded to J, I still would have gone to the new First Class check-in since as an EXP or PLT we are entitled to check-in at any First Class or Business Class desk, as applicable.

Once checked in I took the escalator upstairs to the new TSA room. This area is completely isolated from the general TSA area. Not a body scan to be found! This is a much improved set up all around.
Sounds like you're describing the priority access area on the far side of the check-in area (F, J, elite) at LAX vs. this brand new F-only one that accesses security via an elevator. Are you telling us that the entire security area has had its scanners removed?
Old Nov 15, 2011, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Upgraded!
Are you telling us that the entire security area has had its scanners removed?
That would be really nice!

Incidentally, the latest news is that "Europe Bans X-Ray Body Scanners Used at [most] U.S. Airports" “in order not to risk jeopardizing [EU] citizens’ health and safety.” (Source: http://www.propublica.org/article/eu...-u.s.-airports) This is specifically about those scanners that irradiate you with X-rays, which are the vast majority of the one deployed by the TSA.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 12:04 am

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by cynicAAl
Opted out of the NoS, which added about 60 seconds to my screening.
Wow, you were lucky. In my experience, opting out usually adds 15 minutes, sometimes 20-25. First you have to wait for a an agent to be free for the pat-down, then you have to identify your stuff and watch as it gets carried to a screening area, then the screener has to explain the process, then perform it, then the final explosives sniff.

I was there just a few days ago, and not only were the backscatter x-ray body scanners still there, the TSA was directing everyone through them (as usual), so I had to opt-out. I was there during an especially slow point (about 10:30-11:00 AM mid-week), and didn't have any bags (I had dropped them in the lounge while I walked over to TBIT to get my new passport activated in GE), so this time the opt-out only added a few minutes.

Originally Posted by hillrider
Incidentally, the latest news is that "Europe Bans X-Ray Body Scanners Used at [most] U.S. Airports" “in order not to risk jeopardizing [EU] citizens’ health and safety.” (Source: http://www.propublica.org/article/eu...-u.s.-airports) This is specifically about those scanners that irradiate you with X-rays, which are the vast majority of the one deployed by the TSA.
Glad to hear this. If only the U.S. would do so.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 12:15 am

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium

Are you talking about the new Flagship check-in? or just priority access check-in? Per the AA wesite, EXP alone does not get you access to the LAX Flagship check-in.

"Unlike the Flagship Check-In area at London’s Heathrow airport, AAdvantage Executive Platinum status isn’t enough to get you admitted. It’s only available to First Class customers traveling on a three-class transcontinental or three-class international flight, ConciergeKey members, and Five Star Service customers."
Old Nov 16, 2011, 3:06 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, 6.0 MM, Marriott LT Platinum
[QUOTE=anabolism;17458605]Wow, you were lucky. In my experience, opting out usually adds 15 minutes, sometimes 20-25. First you have to wait for a an agent to be free for the pat-down, then you have to identify your stuff and watch as it gets carried to a screening area, then the screener has to explain the process, then perform it, then the final explosives sniff.
QUOTE]

First time ever NOT having to opt out at the new location, seems the key for me is going through at 5:00 AM. They were just using the metal detectors.

From multiple personal experiences, I think opting adds 5 minutes, it just SEEMS longer when I'm being groped by a guy.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 5:58 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by siankaan1
From multiple personal experiences, I think opting adds 5 minutes, it just SEEMS longer when I'm being groped by a guy.
I know for me, it usually takes longer than 5 minutes just for the screener to arrive.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.