Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

LAX / Los Angeles Int'l. Priority Access now at EAST end of T-4 (21 Jun 2011)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2011, 8:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton

As of this morning, Elite/Priority Access has indeed moved to the east end of terminal 4. Currently there is a banner posted on the exterior of the west wing saying premium check-in has moved six doors down.

The east end of the terminal is now shared by Priority Access and non-elites but there is a gate keeper assigned to keep the kettles out of the PA section. This is where the planned glass divider will be installed at some point.

Dedicated PA security has moved into a new room atop the escalator and immediately to the right.

===================MODERATOR NOTE===================

This has been established in its own thread, as the new Priority Access queues and procedures have been implemented. The obsolete thread, for historical purposes, is here: Rumor: LAX Priority AAccess moving to East side of T4

29 Jun 11 - For photos, see this post by QueenofCoach: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/16642480-post74.html

31 Oct 2011 For information on the even newer Flagship Check-in, please see this thread.

AA Forum Co-Moderators

–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––– –––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––– –––––

WEST ............AA Terminal at LAX.....................EAST

–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––– –––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––– –––––

LAX Terminals map - note orientation: TBIT is West of T-4, DL and UA are East; PA is across from "Bravo Air" wording

Last edited by JDiver; Oct 31, 2011 at 8:31 am Reason: added photo link
Old Jun 21, 2011, 8:21 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Originally Posted by sukn
Dedicated PA security has moved into a new room atop the escalator and immediately to the right.
Are there body-scanners installed there?
Old Jun 21, 2011, 8:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UALpremier
Are there body-scanners installed there?
I do not have an answer for that. I only happened to notice the move because after arriving into LAX I went upstairs to the departure level to meet my ride. Obviously after seeing the banner, I went inside to investigate.

I guess we will have to wait for reports from others to get further details regarding the TSA setup.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 8:31 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

My prediction is that this change will not go off without more than a few bugs during the transition.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by sukn
I do not have an answer for that. I only happened to notice the move because after arriving into LAX I went upstairs to the departure level to meet my ride. Obviously after seeing the banner, I went inside to investigate.

I guess we will have to wait for reports from others to get further details regarding the TSA setup.
I may very well be that guinea pig . . . I have a flight at 7AM bright and early.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 9:49 pm
sk3
Suspended

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by UALpremier
I may very well be that guinea pig . . . I have a flight at 7AM bright and early.
Good luck UALpremier! I hope you encounter nothing but WTMDs! (And thx for your reply in the other thread).
Old Jun 21, 2011, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

this morning we parked at Wally Park as usual, hopped on the shuttle and told the driver American First. He pulled up to the usual spot, we entered and looked around, oh no, this doesn't look right. We asked the escalator guard on the old elite escalator who directed us all the way down to the new area, which was utterly deserted. The whole area was "roped off with someone checking bp's/id's before you could get in. We zipped up the escalator and thru security in about 2 minutes. 2 TSA id/bp checkers, 2 conveyor belts, one scanner, no passengers.

Some more signage and re-education of shuttle drivers is in order.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 10:07 pm
Original Member

Location: Los Angeles, CA - Nearly 4 Million Actual Miles Flown
Wait a minute. I was at LAX yesterday morning and the priority access to security went up the west escalator like it has done for a very long time. Are we saying that got moved to the east escaltor or just the check in? It sounds like the former.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 10:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jeffreyt
Wait a minute. I was at LAX yesterday morning and the priority access to security went up the west escalator like it has done for a very long time. Are we saying that got moved to the east escaltor or just the check in? It sounds like the former.
Both.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 10:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Everything for elites is at the East End. Don't even bother getting off any earlier or you will be swimming up stream. This morning, it looked like they were trying to control access to the whole area, including the checkin, but I'm not sure if they will be able to keep that up on busier days, I can see aline developign to enter the elite area.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 11:48 pm
sk3
Suspended

Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
...We zipped up the escalator and thru security in about 2 minutes. 2 TSA id/bp checkers, 2 conveyor belts, one scanner, no passengers...
Thanks for the post. You say it had just one "scanner". Do you mean it had one of the new Whole Body Imaging scanners, or that it had the old Walk Through Metal Detector?
Old Jun 21, 2011, 11:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They had two scanners in total, one of each kind. they were directing all the (minimal) traffic thru the Whole Body Imaging scanners.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 11:54 pm
sk3
Suspended

They had two scanners in total, one of each kind. they were directing all the (minimal) traffic thru the Whole Body Imaging scanners.
Cr@p!

But thanks for the clarification.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 12:00 am

Then I guess I'll go to the normal lane.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 7:07 am
Original Member

Location: Los Angeles, CA - Nearly 4 Million Actual Miles Flown
Here at LAX this morning. I'm not sure I like the new procedures for priority access. The one thing AA could have done was send their LAX-based fliers, or those that frequent LAX a quick email and say "Hey, the priority access entrance to security has changed". Had this thread not been here for a long time, I would not have known it was coming.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.