Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

AA Gift Cards - Save 10% @ Costco [only remaining supply left - phasing out]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA Gift Cards - Save 10% @ Costco [only remaining supply left - phasing out]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2012, 9:58 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Got some at the Raleigh store - they had a lot, and they said they sold a lot too.... They were telling me about a guy who came in and bought 100 of them. I'm pretty sure that person was a FlyerTalker!
Old Jul 1, 2012, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Denver Park Meadows. Had 109 of them before I bought 10 this PM.
Old Jul 1, 2012, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by SFO777
Denver Park Meadows. Had 109 of them before I bought 10 this PM.
Thanks for the head's up! The Costco in Littleton has been sold out for quite some time..
Old Jul 1, 2012, 9:22 pm

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
If anyone would be willing to sell me a card or the balance from a card at a discount (either at cost or above), please let PM me.

Edited to add: Request has been fulfilled. Thanks for the help!

Last edited by lsumegan; Jul 1, 2012 at 11:39 pm
Old Jul 1, 2012, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Thanks for the head's up! The Costco in Littleton has been sold out for quite some time..
No problem. The Englewood (River Point Parkway) was also out but the CSR was nice enough to search the area inventory and tell me that Park Meadows has "lots of them". The CSR at Park Meadows gave me the exact number. Sounded like they get a regular supply of them. For those first timers, go to any cashier and give them the SKU: 576515. They'll get someone to pull them from the cage.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 7:52 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA former 1K (1.9MM and gone), Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by SFO777
No problem. The Englewood (River Point Parkway) was also out but the CSR was nice enough to search the area inventory and tell me that Park Meadows has "lots of them". The CSR at Park Meadows gave me the exact number. Sounded like they get a regular supply of them. For those first timers, go to any cashier and give them the SKU: 576515. They'll get someone to pull them from the cage.
Seems to be ample supply in Chicago, but now this thread is beginning to make me think that this program is going away. Anyone else in a major city seeing availability disappear (and not just because an FTer just bought 100!)?
Old Jul 2, 2012, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by NiceLanding
Seems to be ample supply in Chicago, but now this thread is beginning to make me think that this program is going away. Anyone else in a major city seeing availability disappear (and not just because an FTer just bought 100!)?
It's probably faster, easier, and more rewarding to ask Costco almost anything this thread has contained for the last year. The stores know if an item is active (can be/is being restocked). They can easily search area stores to check existing stock (quicker if you can supply the stock number, posted here recently). Etc.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 9:29 am

Programs: AA EP; WN CP;UA SILVER; MARRIOTT TITANIUM; HH DIAMOND; IHG PLAT; RADISSON PLAT; HYATT GLOBAL
Originally Posted by martig4
Went to Montgomveryville and King of Prussia on 6/30 - no AA gift cards available and they will not have new stock.

Also spoke to a friend in the Chicago area, they are phasing out the gift cards there too.

Might be the last chance to buy discounted gift cards at Costco.
Can you please state the source of "they are phasing out gift cards".

As I had previously posted, a new costco just opened in Chicago, and it is fully stocked with GC.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 12:36 pm

Programs: AA-EXP; US-Silver; Marriott-Platinum; Starwood-Platinum; Hilton-Gold
They got tons here in San Diego. Just bought 10 more.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How much are these costing AA?

Anybody have any idea how large a discount AA is giving Costco on these? We're getting a 10% discount on airfare; is Costco also getting 5% to 10%?
Old Jul 2, 2012, 2:09 pm
jss

Programs: UA 1P (1MM), AA PLT (2MM)
btw... if you use aa award tickets and want to pay the fees and/or taxes with these gc's --YOU CANNOT. Found this out today that payment options online do not include gc's if the charges are just fees and /or awards.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 3:57 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, AA 3 million, IHG RA, United, Delta
Just left the Costco in Van Nuys, CA and they are out of the AA gift cards. I was told that they are not getting anymore. For almost a year, this is where I have been buying the AA Gift cards. Was told that Burbank Costco has some. On my way there now.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 4:32 pm

Programs: AS 100K, AA Gold, IC Diamond AMB, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by FWAAA
Anybody have any idea how large a discount AA is giving Costco on these? We're getting a 10% discount on airfare; is Costco also getting 5% to 10%?
I thought Costco's margins are actually razor-thin, and that they're really just making money on the membership fees rather than mark up on goods sold...
Old Jul 2, 2012, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TheBeerHunter
I thought Costco's margins are actually razor-thin, and that they're really just making money on the membership fees rather than mark up on goods sold...
Costco's net income (after all expenses are paid) is generally slightly less than the membership fees, but in the most recent fiscal year, Costco's sellng and administrative expenses (help and rent, etc.) were about 10% of gross sales (about $8.7 billion on about $87 billion of merchandise sales).

Costco paid just under $78 billion for that merchandise that sold for $87 billion. So I don't think it's selling goods at cost.

Looks like on average, Costco marks up the merchandise by 11.5% over its cost. I'm wondering if AA's taking that kind of hit on these gift cards.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 5:17 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by FWAAA

Looks like on average, Costco marks up the merchandise by 11.5% over its cost. I'm wondering if AA's taking that kind of hit on these gift cards.
I do know that their margin on the Cameron Hughes wines (a fabulous buy in all cases I've tried) is about 13%. So that's in line with the figures above.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.