Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

AA Gift Cards - Save 10% @ Costco [only remaining supply left - phasing out]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA Gift Cards - Save 10% @ Costco [only remaining supply left - phasing out]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2012, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by josephstern
Should you lose these, what would you then do with the pictures?
I am assuming you would take a picture of the back panel of the card, not the front.

You can pay for your airfare with the card number and PIN number on aa.com.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FWAAA
Very sound advice no matter how long it takes someone to use them.

I hope that people aren't buying several years' worth of gift cards at one time, as the annual return basically evaporates if they aren't used within a year or two.

Right now, the gift cards produce a total return of 13.11% if used within a year. The 2% executive rebate remains constant no matter how long it takes you to use them (since you get that within a year), but the 11.11% return ($30/$270 = 11.11%) begins to shrink dramatically if you don't use them up quickly.
With interest rates this low, and the Fed telling us that they'll keep rates this low for another few years, I'm not sure "shrink dramatically" is accurate.
Old Jun 24, 2012, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Rancho Cordova, CA

Just visited the Costco in Citrus Heights, CA (near Sacramento) and asked about the AA GCs. They do not carry them (yet), but she looked up on their computer and said Rancho Cordova, CA, does have them. I haven't been there to confirm, but that's what I was told.
Old Jun 24, 2012, 5:40 pm

Programs: aa exp, ihg plat amb
They still have over 200 at the Oak Brook, IL location. They are not at the Bloomingdale one...and I was told they are not expecting any.
Old Jun 24, 2012, 6:03 pm

Programs: UA MM Gold
Any COSTCO can scan other local stores and give inventory info. Several stores here in SAN have them OR did a few days ago. Going fast. I bought 20....
Old Jun 24, 2012, 11:07 pm

I found some at the St Louis Clark Costco in Minneapolis. Got 3 Grands worth

http://www.costco.com/Warehouse/Ware...ouseNumber=377
Old Jun 27, 2012, 12:09 pm

Programs: AA explat,Adm Club,Priority Club, and all nonsense in my comic book mind.
I hope this hasnt been answered, but I've only used the cards for domestic flights on AA metal. We are contemplating a trip to Sri Lanka, which would involve numerous airlines. We will start out on AA over the pond, then probably BA to head on. If booked on AA website, will we be able to use the cards for this?? It would help, and I have a bunch. Thanks in advance. (this thread is 31 pages long!!)

As an aside, the last time I checked the Mountain View Ca. Costco still has them. P
Old Jun 27, 2012, 12:18 pm

Programs: AA Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by retirementdreams
I hope this hasnt been answered, but I've only used the cards for domestic flights on AA metal. We are contemplating a trip to Sri Lanka, which would involve numerous airlines. We will start out on AA over the pond, then probably BA to head on. If booked on AA website, will we be able to use the cards for this?? It would help, and I have a bunch. Thanks in advance. (this thread is 31 pages long!!)

As an aside, the last time I checked the Mountain View Ca. Costco still has them. P
I tried to book a trip that was AA + a non-affiliated airline via AA.com before. I was not offered the option to use gift cards. I believe gift cards can only be used towards AA and AA-affiliated flights.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by aznaphrodite
I tried to book a trip that was AA + a non-affiliated airline via AA.com before. I was not offered the option to use gift cards. I believe gift cards can only be used towards AA and AA-affiliated flights.
IIRC, as long as the trip begins in the US, and is all AA flights (including codeshares) or OW partner flights, you should be able to use it.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 4:02 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by retirementdreams
Yup - threads do get long, which is why we do our best to maintain Mod Notes or FAQs in the first post of content-rich threads.

From first post:
https://giftcards.aa.com/terms.jsp
Q: What can I use my gift cards for? Are there any restrictions?
A:
- Gift Cards are redeemable toward the initial electronic ticket purchase of air travel wholly on flights operated by American Airlines, American Eagle® and the AmericanConnection® carriers for itineraries sold and originating in the U.S., Puerto Rico and U.S. Virgin Islands.
- AA Gift Cards are also available for payment of air travel on any oneworld® partner or AA Codeshare flight.
- They cannot be used for payment of air travel on any other airline.
- Flights sold or originating outside the U.S., Puerto Rico or U.S. Virgin Islands or operated by other carriers are not eligible.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by JY1024
Yup - threads do get long, which is why we do our best to maintain Mod Notes or FAQs in the first post of content-rich threads.

From first post:
With due respects to the hard-working moderators I think nall's response deserves the applause. AA's quoted 'gift card' rules were written by the same monkeys that create the fare rules - perfectly clear to those who already understand them, but plenty of bad English and ambiguous relationships for mere native English-speakers. Which is why we're told 'if you don't like what the res agent told you, call back and talk to another. (And those are the insiders that 'already understand'!)

(For example in the AA gc rules the last line 'Flights ... operated by other carriers are not eligible' is in conflict with 'are also available for payment of air travel on any AA Codeshare flight')
Old Jun 27, 2012, 5:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA former 1K (1.9MM and gone), Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by JohnAx
With due respects to the hard-working moderators I think nall's response deserves the applause. AA's quoted 'gift card' rules were written by the same monkeys that create the fare rules - perfectly clear to those who already understand them, but plenty of bad English and ambiguous relationships for mere native English-speakers. Which is why we're told 'if you don't like what the res agent told you, call back and talk to another. (And those are the insiders that 'already understand'!)

(For example in the AA gc rules the last line 'Flights ... operated by other carriers are not eligible' is in conflict with 'are also available for payment of air travel on any AA Codeshare flight')
+1

I read that text earlier and couldn't figure out whether there were two different types of gift cards and you needed to be careful you got the right type for your flights.

Also, how come the FAQs don't say anything about refunds? Does anything you buy become completely nonrefundable? If not, does the credit go back to the card? If not, does your credit gain the same restrictions as the card?
Old Jun 27, 2012, 5:55 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
I recently was able to use the gift cards on CX (marketed and operated) booked on AA.com for SFO-HKG-SFO without issue.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 6:40 pm

Also, you can't use these in conjunction with a voucher, found that out last night.

--wes
Old Jun 28, 2012, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by wesmanz
Also, you can't use these in conjunction with a voucher, found that out last night.

--wes
Yes. That's because a voucher needs to be mailed in or you need to go to the airport. The gift cards have to be used online on AA.com, although you can call it in sometimes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.