Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Earning AA miles / EQM on oneworld, partner & other airlines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 31, 2015, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
NOTE: This is an archived thread.

For the current thread, please refer to

Earning AA miles / EQM on oneworld, partner & other airlines (consolidated)
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2011, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/CK 2M+

Might need to take air Berlin on AA8068 from JFK to DUS. Given this is an AA codeshare, do I get full EQPs and EQMs? Otherwise I will go through LHR. The AA web site was unclear to me on this.

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 31, 2015 at 10:52 am Reason: Restore to original post
Old Apr 2, 2011, 1:02 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
an aa flight #, gets rdm, eqp & eqm per the fare codes on aa.com...

good luck...
Old Apr 2, 2011, 1:03 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/ea...s/american.jsp

Earn miles when flying on American Airlines, American Eagle® and AmericanConnection® carrier flights for travel on an eligible published fare ticket. Miles are also earned for travel on American Airlines, American Eagle or AmericanConnection codeshare flights operated by other airlines.
(bolding mine)

If you're booked on a AA flight number, you'll earn EQP based on the table in the link above.

Also here: http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/el...quirements.jsp

Elite Status Points
The number of elite status points you earn is based on a combination of earned miles and the class of service purchased. Below is a chart reflecting the number of points earned for travel on American Airlines, American Eagle and AmericanConnection as well as American Airlines marketed codeshare flights.
(bolding mine)

Also in our AA FT Forum Wiki: http://www.flyerguide.com/wiki/index...eshare_Flights

(Not purposely trying to "information overload" you...just providing some tips for where to look in the future. )
Old Apr 2, 2011, 2:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/CK 2M+
Thanks
Old Apr 8, 2011, 11:44 am

Programs: UA 1k
AA miles from an Air Berlin / airberlin codeshare flight?

I read that Air Berlin is a new codeshare with AA and flight miles with AB will count towards AA miles. AA customer has no clue. After 30 minutes and 2 different agents, no luck.

Anyone had success with this?
Old Apr 8, 2011, 12:04 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Just to clarify - you're booking the AA flight number, right? If so - yes, the flight is basically like any AA-operated flight in terms of EQM, EQP, EQS, RDM.

This recent thread may also be helpful for you: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...full-eqps.html

And for reference, the thread discussing the codeshare flights and AB's eventual inclusion in oneworld is here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...affiliate.html
Old Apr 8, 2011, 12:05 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K
Originally Posted by CMH1k
I read that Air Berlin is a new codeshare with AA and flight miles with AB will count towards AA miles. AA customer has no clue. After 30 minutes and 2 different agents, no luck.

Anyone had success with this?
At this point you will only earn miles on AB operated flights if you purchase an AA coded ticket. Once AB joins Oneworld, of course, this will certainly change.

Mileage Accrual
Earn AAdvantage® miles on American Airlines codeshare flights operated by airberlin.
To earn miles, your ticket MUST reflect an "AA" coded flight number.
Old Apr 8, 2011, 12:08 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
if its an aa flight #, you can get aa mi's just as tho it was aa metal, iirc...

if an air berlin flight # on aa metal, do it only if it saves a bunch.......

good luck...

Last edited by clacko; Apr 8, 2011 at 12:15 pm
Old Apr 8, 2011, 12:26 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
To summarize: if you fly an AA codeshare operated by Air Berlin (or anyone, for that mater,) you earn as if you were flying on AA. If you fly Air Berlin not on an AA codeshare, you pretty much do not earn (until ~2012, when they join oneworld).

There is a page on aa.com that discusses the AA - Air Berlin relationship here. It states, in part:

American Airlines – airberlin Codeshare Service
American codeshares on airberlin on select transatlantic markets: between Düsseldorf and Miami, Berlin and Miami and between Düsseldorf and Fort Myers, and on flights within Europe.

and

Mileage Accrual
Earn AAdvantage® miles on American Airlines codeshare flights operated by airberlin.
To earn miles, your ticket MUST reflect an "AA" coded flight number.
Old Apr 8, 2011, 1:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Global Entry
^

i'm glad these codeshares are popping up now!

i'm happy i can choose an AB non-stop to DE rather than being stubbornly loyal to AA and having to waste time connecting in LHR or MAD.

go airberlin go!
Old Dec 6, 2011, 9:17 am

Programs: UA GS, UA 1.6MM, AA LT PLT, AA 2.6MM, Intercontinental Royal Ambassador
ARCHIVED / OBSOLETE: Earning AA EQM or RDM on EY / Etihad (merged threads)

So before I start let me just say that I know this is all my fault. I just flew from ORD to AUH this evening on EY 150. When I checked in at ORD I gave them my AA FF# and all was well.

I am now in my hotel and was perusing some Etihad information and learned that AA and EY are only code share partners and that the flight I just took is specifically carved out of the mileage accrual bucket. The only way I could have earned miles is if I had bought the ticket as an AA codeshare.

I am writing this in the hopes of saving someone else from making the same mistake. I am lucky in that my EY flight to Europe in two days will accrue mileage. The only carveouts are the direct flights to AUH from U.S. gateway cities.

Thankfully I am already requalified as EXP for 2012 or this would have been a huge blunder on my part.

Live and learn

Last edited by JDiver; Mar 31, 2015 at 7:31 pm Reason: Restore original post title
Old Dec 6, 2011, 11:32 am

Ouch, live and learn.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 12:33 pm

Programs: Hyatt: Diamond. Marriott: Platinum. AA: EXP 1MM. Delta: Silver. Etihad: Silver. Emirates Silver
Not sure if this is possible but you could call Etihad and say you gave the wrong FF number, sicne AA won't credit you anyway for the flight, you still may be able to claim credit on EY's Guest FF program, at least then the flight would not have one to waste. Not sure if it'll work, but worth a try.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 12:40 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I don't know which airlines EY could credit miles to, but as yabadoo says, perhaps there is still a possibility of damage control - and you did not imperil EP / EXP for 2012, so it's a shot in the foot and not in any vital component.

Thanks for sharing - the occasional wakeup call can be useful to the rest of us, and I have to admit similar mistakes in the past (and feelings of chagrin). Let us know if you attempt any changes to miles crediting and how it goes.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 1:30 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt GP Diamond, Marriott Platinum, SPG Gold
Etihad Airways operated and marketed flights between New York (JFK), Chicago (ORD), Toronto (YYZ) and Abu Dhabi are not eligible for mileage accrual.

I recently flew from CDG to AUH to HYD on a Etihad operated and marketed flight and got the miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.