Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bank Direct to limit / cap AA miles on checking

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2011, 3:09 pm
formerly known as daveland

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Delta Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by josephstern
Usually, I get them on the morning of the third business day of the month. That should be tomorrow morning.

By the end of the second day, I can see miles posted on the BD site, as I can now.
Where can you find this on the BD website? I cannot find anything anywhere about my AA account or posted miles. In fact if it didn't say Mileage Checking Account next to it, I'd have no idea it earned miles. I hate their site....
Old Apr 4, 2011, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Login.

Go to "Click Here to Manage Your Account."

That'll open a new window.

Then click "Review Earned Miles."
Old Apr 4, 2011, 3:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Originally Posted by daveland
Where can you find this on the BD website? I cannot find anything anywhere about my AA account or posted miles. In fact if it didn't say Mileage Checking Account next to it, I'd have no idea it earned miles. I hate their site....
Login. Manage Your Account. Review Earned Miles.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 3:27 pm

Programs: AA 11MM/EXP/Aairpass, SPG Plat
Login.

That's really cool. I didn't realize that BD tracked how many miles you've earned program to date. I can see that about 55% of all AA miles that I've earned have come from BD. I also didn't know about the third business day of the month. That would explain why they always show up by the 5th of the month...
Old Apr 4, 2011, 6:53 pm
formerly known as daveland

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Delta Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
Login.

It's totally bizarre, but I don't have a "Click here to manage your account" link (or remotely similar). I have Accounts, Account Options, and Log off. Inside the account I have Balances, Transactions, and Transfers. I have clicked into every section and every menu and it's not there.

Guess I'll have to call them tomorrow and see if perhaps the account wasn't created properly....
Old Apr 4, 2011, 6:59 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL Silver, MR Plat, SPG Plat, CP Diamond, PC Gold, HH Silver
Originally Posted by daveland
It's totally bizarre, but I don't have a "Click here to manage your account" link (or remotely similar). I have Accounts, Account Options, and Log off. Inside the account I have Balances, Transactions, and Transfers. I have clicked into every section and every menu and it's not there.

Guess I'll have to call them tomorrow and see if perhaps the account wasn't created properly....

You are right, there is a problem with the initial setup. Same thing happened to me.

Your "Online Account Access" has not been setup for you. Yes, sounds strange since you are obviously able to log into your account online, but when I called, this is exactly what they called it. Rep fixed it in less than 30 seconds.

Good Luck!
Old Apr 4, 2011, 8:45 pm
jss

Programs: UA 1P (1MM), AA PLT (2MM)
fwiw--bank direct has been added back to the AA Advantage page for financial services partners --it had been gone for a while:

http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/ea...ncial/main.jsp
Old Apr 5, 2011, 9:24 am

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Originally Posted by MLM JET
Usually mileage posts on the 2nd day of the month, so far it did not post for me.
Usually, I get them on the morning of the third business day of the month. That should be tomorrow morning.
1st or 2nd of the month for me, except when the 1st or 2nd is a weekend or holiday (as with this month) and then it takes a day or 2 longer.

BREAK

From the letter dated February 28, 2011 many of us received: Your account may be affected by the new program structure. (My bold and underline)

Not sure if Im revealing something that is best kept secret but for my AA miles credit yesterday BD did NOT apply the new mileage earning calculations to my 2 pre-Feb 28 checking accounts. I have a little over $200,000 in one and a little over $400,000 in the 2 accounts combined. My AA account was credited with miles equivalent to the full 10% of my total average account balances (not 10% of 400,000 plus 2.5% of the amount over 400,000). Anyone else luck out?

(If those with more experience than I think this information is best kept UTR (under the radar) please let me know and Ill edit/delete.)
Old Apr 5, 2011, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski
1st or 2nd of the month for me, except when the 1st or 2nd is a weekend or holiday (as with this month) and then it takes a day or 2 longer.

BREAK

From the letter dated February 28, 2011 many of us received: Your account may be affected by the new program structure. (My bold and underline)

Not sure if Im revealing something that is best kept secret but for my AA miles credit yesterday BD did NOT apply the new mileage earning calculations to my 2 pre-Feb 28 checking accounts. I have a little over $200,000 in one and a little over $400,000 in the 2 accounts combined. My AA account was credited with miles equivalent to the full 10% of my total average account balances (not 10% of 400,000 plus 2.5% of the amount over 400,000). Anyone else luck out?

(If those with more experience than I think this information is best kept UTR (under the radar) please let me know and Ill edit/delete.)
Right - the new rules take effect on April 1, 2011. So you got what I would have expected.

The question is, going forward, will that still work? Or is the limit per AA number?
Old Apr 5, 2011, 9:44 am

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Right - the new rules take effect on April 1, 2011. So you got what I would have expected.
Oops, my bad. You are absolutely correct. I thought the new rules started last month. Thank you.
Old Apr 11, 2011, 9:19 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold / Million miler
The flip-side: what we lose while "earning" miles at Bank Direct:

http://www.nytimes.com/roomfordebate...ment-trade-off
Old Apr 11, 2011, 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by mileage junkie
The flip-side: what we lose while "earning" miles at Bank Direct:
http://www.nytimes.com/roomfordebate...ment-trade-off

Sorry, but I don't see the point you are trying to make here. Using BankDirect to earn tax-free miles is a solution to the low interest problem, not the "cause" as you somewhat suggest.
Old Apr 11, 2011, 10:02 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold / Million miler
Yes, it's tax-free, and the miles have a real, tangible value, but when you factor in the 1/20 of 1% interest that we earn, and (as the article suggests) inflation....the miles do indeed come at a high "cost."

(And I'm not saying there's anything "wrong" with the use-Bank-Direct-to-get-a-lot-of-miles strategy. I have quite a large balance with them!)
Old Apr 11, 2011, 10:13 pm

Yes, it's tax-free, and the miles have a real, tangible value, but when you factor in the 1/20 of 1% interest that we earn, and (as the article suggests) inflation....the miles do indeed come at a high "cost."

(And I'm not saying there's anything "wrong" with the use-Bank-Direct-to-get-a-lot-of-miles strategy. I have quite a large balance with them!)

Right, but having your money in BD only serves to soften that blow.

I'm sure if every other bank was offering 10% interest on a simply checking account, many people would move their money out of BD for one with that much higher interest rate.
Old Apr 12, 2011, 6:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond

As that article stated, there is a significant cost to have money in very short-term or demand investments. There is a risk to having it in long-term investments, too, the risk of roaring inflation as we come out of this recession if the government is unable to get the enormous amounts of money they dumped into the money supply out of the money supply fast enough. It is much more difficult to get money out than it is to put it in.

Once you have determined the amount you want or need in short-term or demand investments, you start looking around for the best return. That's where BankDirect is a very favorable alternative, IMO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.