Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bank Direct to limit / cap AA miles on checking

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2011, 8:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
I wonder if people who had 2 mileage checking accounts open before the new revision will be grandfathered into keeping both accounts rather than having to close one and replace it with a mileage money market account.

Last edited by Time traveller; Mar 3, 2011 at 8:42 pm
Old Mar 3, 2011, 11:38 pm

Programs: AA UA Delta. HH Diamond, PC Platinum, Club Carlson Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Should new people that have less than $200,000 wait until April 1 to open account to get the bigger bonus? No where did the letter said 5% miles.
Where did this 5% information come from? Thank you!
Old Mar 3, 2011, 11:48 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by milemission
Should new people that have less than $200,000 wait until April 1 to open account to get the bigger bonus? No where did the letter said 5% miles.
Where did this 5% information come from? Thank you!
I believe the 5% information is just a speculation. Now BD has announced it will stay at 10%. As I confirmed with the CSR today, the new customer can open an account now and get the bigger bonus after April 1 (mainly the direct deposit for 10,000 miles instead of 5,000 miles). However if you are new customer and have already received your 5,000 miles through direct deposit, you may not get the other 5,000 compared to someone who starts direct deposit after April 1.

As always, calling the CSR to reconfirm since everyone may be in different situation.
Old Mar 4, 2011, 6:03 am

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by josephstern
There's also a new hastily-added message on their homepage in an incongruous font:
this is annoying. I will change the address on my account to my work address in NY so I can open a new account for Mrs MA here
Old Mar 4, 2011, 1:27 pm

Programs: aa
Originally Posted by thebluejean
I believe the 5% information is just a speculation. Now BD has announced it will stay at 10%. As I confirmed with the CSR today, the new customer can open an account now and get the bigger bonus after April 1 (mainly the direct deposit for 10,000 miles instead of 5,000 miles). However if you are new customer and have already received your 5,000 miles through direct deposit, you may not get the other 5,000 compared to someone who starts direct deposit after April 1.

As always, calling the CSR to reconfirm since everyone may be in different situation.
I got the same response. If you have already received the direct deposit or bill pay bonuses you won't even get the difference between the new bonus and the one you got. You can still get the debit card bonus. Just make 12 purchases/month for 3 consecutive months.
Old Mar 5, 2011, 2:39 pm

Programs: Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, AA Lifetime Gold
Have not gotten letter

I got my monthly statement for my bankdirect accounts today but I did not get the letter detailing the changes. Did those of you who got the letter get it with your statements?

Any chance that the accounts with over 200k are getting grandfathered at the full 10% rate on the whole balance? Perhaps this is just wishful thinking on my part.
Old Mar 5, 2011, 3:20 pm
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by bluto
Did those of you who got the letter get it with your statements?
No, it is a separate mailing.
Old Mar 5, 2011, 3:47 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hertz Platinum
Any chance that the accounts with over 200k are getting grandfathered at the full 10% rate on the whole balance? Perhaps this is just wishful thinking on my part.
No chance. It's very clear that the program is being modified for existing accountholders as well.
Old Mar 6, 2011, 5:29 am

Programs: All
Originally Posted by Steve M
No chance. It's very clear that the program is being modified for existing accountholders as well.
I wonder?

I have the same letter as everyone above.

The way I can read it .... My letter does not state specifically that my existing accounts would be changed ... only .... "Your account may be affected by the new program structure." Then the letter goes on to detail just NEW Account offers. I am not setting up any new accounts.

Therefore:

It appears to me that the letter is defining "NEW ACCOUNTS" offers only. Not changes to existing accounts. Those with current accounts over $200k to the FDIC limit of $250k are not addressed in this letter.

Does this mean that mileage earnings remain grandfathered for the large account balance customers?
Old Mar 6, 2011, 5:48 am

Originally Posted by 3LeftTurns
I wonder?

I have the same letter as everyone above.

The way I can read it .... My letter does not state specifically that my existing accounts would be changed ... only .... "Your account may be affected by the new program structure." Then the letter goes on to detail just NEW Account offers. I am not setting up any new accounts.
"New program structure" does not mean just for new accounts, else they wouldn't have said "your account may be affected." Your account will be affected if you have more than $200k on deposit.

New account offers is just the first heading. The relevant change is to Monthly Earning Opportunities, which is a separate heading.

Originally Posted by 3LeftTurns
Therefore:

It appears to me that the letter is defining "NEW ACCOUNTS" offers only. Not changes to existing accounts. Those with current accounts over $200k to the FDIC limit of $250k are not addressed in this letter.

Does this mean that mileage earnings remain grandfathered for the large account balance customers?
You're misreading the letter. One section deals only with new accounts, the rest applies to everyone.

But call them if you disagree.
Old Mar 6, 2011, 7:15 pm

has anyone tried creating a second mileage checking account since they sent the letter? I just tried but after entering 3 pages of questions and pressing Submit, it said that customers are limited to "2 transaction mileage accounts". Since this is only my 2nd one, the error message seems wrong. I didn't try changing the account to Mileage MM, but I guess that would have gone thru?
Old Mar 6, 2011, 8:36 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
The changes are good for me. Many more bonus miles are great. At 29 I just got married so naturally I don't have much cash left right now, ha. I should be able to get 22,250 the first month with a minimum $2500 deposit to avoid the fee and setting up the other options that give bonuses. Having this account will give me even more of a reason to save up some $ too! $200k limit for 1/$10 won't apply to me for a long time haha.
Old Mar 7, 2011, 10:13 am

Can you open up either a second checking account in the form of trust account or business account with BD and still link that to your AA acccount # and therefore have 2 checking accounts at 200k "feeding" one AA account?
Old Mar 7, 2011, 11:03 am

25miles for $1000 after the 1st 200k

Just receive the letter. From what I understand, anything over 200k, you earm 25 miles for every $1000.

HTH

I got my monthly statement for my bankdirect accounts today but I did not get the letter detailing the changes. Did those of you who got the letter get it with your statements?

Old Mar 7, 2011, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Considering the note on the hompage:

Attention AA Customers:
Limit 2 Mileage transaction accounts per household;
One Mileage Checking Account and one Mileage Money Market Account.
Where did we get the idea that we're all grandfathered in to two checking accounts? Did anyone get that from the source?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.