Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wow AAgent gets ANGRY when you call YQ a fuel surcharge

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2011, 2:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by btwayland
...this solves the problem of trying to tie the YQ to a contantly moving market rate.
Is it a significant process to change the YQ? Genuinely don't know!
Old Jan 18, 2011, 2:17 pm

Programs: AA ex-Plat
Originally Posted by fishferbrains
So where's the American Airlines official response to this thread? They certainly have to realize that they've generated tremendous amounts of ill-will as a result of the policy and the fee presentation to their Elite Members.'

I would really wish they would weigh-in on these types of conversations.

Wishful thinking I suppose.
i'd venture to say those that actually know what a "YQ" is and debate its receipt itemization terms vs. average joe traveler & family knowing what it is is likely pretty small.

what the former see from the get-go as a huge program devaluation and major nuissance, the latter will likely only see a huge price difference when using BA for an award ticket to london or somewhere in europe, vs using IB for the same ticket because it resulted in a "cheaper" out-of-pocket award ticket -- or never see it at all because they don't know they can even redeem AA miles on other carriers. and let's face it, most people who are on FT are more savvy than joe traveler, whether it be for earning or burning miles.

while someone calling up AA to redeem miles may complain about out-of-pocket costs for a "free" ticket, they don't likely know what all those extra charges or taxes are for -- they just accept that if they want to go A to B via C on BA it's $XX dollars, but if they make a carrier change to go A to B via D on IB, then it cuts the out-of-pocket to 25% of the cost of taking BA.

AA may have seen this as an issue that didn't really need to be addressed since the number of people it would upset was so small -- i'm just guessing here, but i would say the percentage of elites vs. regular AA fliers is small, and the percentage of elites on FT vs. regular AA filers is even smaller.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by ExpatExp
Is it a significant process to change the YQ? Genuinely don't know!
me either -- but it would certainly be easier to enter data points for a few certain routes and not have to touch them for a year vs. updating a few datapoints daily or weekly or with more frequency.

does anyone with backend experience know how YQs are entered into the database? or, for example, in order to update a YQ for a certain fare/route -- how that process works?
Old Jan 18, 2011, 2:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
right, but YQ could be kept constant for say one fiscal year by any particular airline that hedges their fuel contracts (or for the length of the contract, whether shorter or longer than a fiscal year). this solves the problem of trying to tie the YQ to a contantly moving market rate.
OK, but right now this part isn't an AA decision.

Maybe BA doesn't hedge their fuels. In either case AA has no say on how BA runs its business. If BA says we're slapping YQs on all awards even for partners and if you don't like it sucks to be you, then AA has no other choice but to agree or otherwise lose a valuable partner.

So AA needs to make a decision: suck up the cost out of their own pocket or to pass on the YQ charge to the prospective AAdvantage member trying to claim awards on BA.

AA chose the latter so there's a certain degree of responsibility on AA for making this decision, which is to come more clean with the YQ charges slapped on by BA. Hiding the YQ charge within the "tax & other fees" and having CSRs claim it as "tax" is highly suspect which can lead to expensive litigation and bad PR investigations.

Moreso true for the average joe traveler who has been saving up his/her AA miles for a "free ticket" to Europe find out with a sticker shock that they now have to pay hundreds of dollars in "taxes." AA could also be more open about it's responsibility by clearly noting a disclaimer onto the award page.

Right now there's not much clarity on this on either it's Partner Awards page or on AA's BA page. A simple disclaimer on that page under "Using AAdvantage Miles" that says "AAdvantage members redeeming award tickets on BA are subject to additional airport taxes and fuel surcharges" could also save them a lot of trouble. Same with any other potential AA partner that decides to levy fuel charges...my bet being on JAL.

Any attorney here willing to offer some insight on this matter? I'm sure AA who reads this board would love to hear/read on an attorney's take on this.

Last edited by kebosabi; Jan 18, 2011 at 2:51 pm
Old Jan 18, 2011, 3:23 pm

Programs: PC Pl, UA 1K, CC Gl
Originally Posted by Hyperacusis
Did DL take any retaliatory action as a result of your dispute? i.e. Cancelled your tickets or suspended your SkyPesos account?

I have disputed it after the flights and they did not touch my skypesos. If they would feel they are right they should reply to Amex when I disputed it. Silence, in this case , is a sign of weakness of their position to charge me $300 "taxes" per ticket when their own website shows $76.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by kebosabi
Maybe BA doesn't hedge their fuels. In either case AA has no say on how BA runs its business. If BA says we're slapping YQs on all awards even for partners and if you don't like it sucks to be you, then AA has no other choice but to agree or otherwise lose a valuable partner.

So AA needs to make a decision: suck up the cost out of their own pocket or to pass on the YQ charge to the prospective AAdvantage member trying to claim awards on BA.

AA chose the latter so there's a certain degree of responsibility on AA for making this decision, which is to come more clean with the YQ charges slapped on by BA. Hiding the YQ charge within the "tax & other fees" and having CSRs claim it as "tax" is highly suspect which can lead to expensive litigation and bad PR investigations.

Moreso true for the average joe traveler who has been saving up his/her AA miles for a "free ticket" to Europe find out with a sticker shock that they now have to pay hundreds of dollars in "taxes." AA could also be more open about it's responsibility by clearly noting a disclaimer onto the award page.
agreed ... if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck ...

but getting back to the part about AA having no say in how BA runs their business ... i think the JBV indicates that the partners now have more of a say. if BA said that they needed the charge to help them remain profitable (or lose less money), AA can then choose whether to pass that along or not, as well as implementing a reciprocal charge for BA members redeeming on AA. as much as i would like AA to suck up the cost for AA members redeeming on BA, i doubt my elite status with AA would be very useful to me in a few years or less.

i doubt that AA would have invented this fee out of thin air (as much as they would like extra revenue streams) without BA having first said that it was implementing the charge to begin with. it may not be BA directing AA's business, but it certainly influenced AA to start charging/pass along this fee.

while i'm not saying that AA's placement of the fee/tax/surcharge was the correct one or even legal, i have no doubt their legal department reviewed where it was put and any potential future legal costs for putting it where they did -- sort of like car companies weighing paying out claims on a car's faulty brakes, or doing a recall to fix it -- whichever one results in a smaller bill is what wins if the difference is significant (including negative press/goodwill of the company, etc.).
Old Jan 18, 2011, 3:54 pm

Time to send a letter to AA officially asking if this is a tax and copy DOT.
If nothing else, just to stir things in never never land
Old Jan 18, 2011, 4:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
i have no doubt their legal department reviewed where it was put and any potential future legal costs for putting it where they did
I dunno, you'd be surprised how many companies don't think of something as the thought never crossed their mind.

The US card companies putting themselves in a dead end as more Americans complaining about not being able to use their credit cards abroad as everyone else has switched to EMV chip & PIN systems for example. All these years they've resisted the change to move to EMV citing costs, now they're all scrambling like ducks to do so.

Last edited by kebosabi; Jan 18, 2011 at 4:21 pm
Old Jan 18, 2011, 4:17 pm
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Omnibus response from a recent JD grad (and a thorn in the side of Corporate America)

The complainant -

Originally Posted by dfyant
I was just on with an AA international award agent. I had to move a date (on a BA flight) which resulted in ~ $500 in extra charges. I had to complain and she kept saying "it is taxes we didn't charge before, now we have to charge these taxes".

I'd try to explain these aren't taxes, they are fuel surcharges and she'd get very very mad. She ranted about how these don't result in any extra income to American Airlines.... I again tried to correct her but wow she got MAD.

In business it is usually illegal to call something a "tax" when it is not a genuine tax. Isn't there a lawyer on this board who is looking for some extra work?

Wouldn't take more than a couple recorded phone calls to make your case
The respondant (read: my two cents) -

Of the $500,-+ assessed, would it be fair to say that $250,- was fare difference and the other $250,- was YQ? I find it hard to believe that a TCON flight on BA would have a $500,- YQ unless you were flying BA to some other far off destination like Israel. Even then, I don't think they charge double YQ.

I'll admit that YQ sucks, but there is one way to avoid YQ: Don't fly BA! IMHO, any airline that charges $250,- YQ on top of the fare is not worthy of my business. Their excessive YQ on paid and award tickets was the main reason I cashed out my BAEC account. I believe if enough people stopped flying BA for the same reason, then they would be forced to drop YQ or go bankrupt. Besides, BA isn't the picture of financial health today.

In re wiretapping -

Originally Posted by mreed911
Perhaps you should look up wiretapping. That's not the same as recording a conversation, and in some places (like where I live) there's single-party consent, meaning as long as I know it's being recorded, I can record it.
+1

Originally Posted by pdog02
Not only that, since AAs' call prompt advises that your call may be recorded you are explicitly allowed to tape your conversation with the agent.

* AA customers are advised on our call prompt that their call may be recorded for quality assurance.

Should a customer request to tape-record your conversation, you must allow them to do so.
+1

Originally Posted by Madison Guy
A little OT - and I sure do not claim to be an expert here - but where I live, it is also single-party consent - as long as both parties are within the jurisdiction of the state law enabling this - that is within my home state. Calls where one of the parties is outside of my state are governed, as I understand it, by the FCC, which I believe still requires an upfront announcement or a tone-warning signal at proper intervals. That would be true of any interstate call. Just sayin - and could well be proven wrong.
I realise that interstate calling is an 1§8 matter (thus FCC), but who cares?

Originally Posted by sbrower
Probably not a problem in any jurisdiction because AA gives notice that the conversation may be recorded. Which means that both parties (AA employee and customer) have been given notice and are likely deemed to consent.
+5 (You win)

In re YQ vs XT -

Originally Posted by denCSA
Need to fault you here. AA (and BA) are in the wrong here, from a customer's point of view. The idiots in the executive office at both respective carriers do not interface with us 'rift-raft,' therefore in a consumer-oriented culture we have the right and obligation to stand up for ourselves, collectively. While it is NOT okay to abuse or argue with customer-facing agents, the fact is they are the entry point to AA/BA for us.

Look at it objectively from a historical standpoint; Large companies have always listened to customer feedback provided from their own employees (my company does it too). Many companies have rescinded PR and policy 'mistakes' as a result (take UA's CR1 removal and economy TATL BOB disasters as perfect evidence of this). Don't be afraid, speak up [NICELY]!
+ 2, well said!

Originally Posted by ExpatExp
Does anyone have an example of a ticket where this charge has been documented? I have avoided mileage redemptions on BA since the new policy took effect, so I would be curious to know how this "tax" is described on paper.
I am pretty sure I was charged YQ on an award ticket that I made through AA. It was for a r/t BA flights BRU > LHR. I can ask them how much of my "taxes and fees" were YQ, but I would guess that $75,- or $100,- of the $145,40 I paid was in fact YQ.

In re solutions -

Originally Posted by mvoight
The answer is simple. There should be a law against fuel surcharges.
I'm . Isn't there an EU reg that already prevents the airlines from tacking on separate charges not included in the price of the ticket, and that these charges must be clearly stated at the time of booking? If I were the OP, I'd complain to the Air Transport Users Council (auc.uk.org), but I am not sure if they will accept a complaint from non-UK citizens/residents.

Originally Posted by LAXNYER
this could be an interesting issue for the FTC or states attorneys general to dig into. Representing this as a tax seems like it could be considered a deceptive trade practice.
DOT might have an opinion as well.

Has anyone filed a complaint with these agencies?
I filed a complaint against BA with the NYS Consumer Protection Board for another matter, and they forwarded it to the FAA, and then the complaint was never heard from again. It is pretty hard to persist against BA. The best option is to take them to civil court if the offence is that egregious.

Originally Posted by al613
I bought couple mileage tickets on DL from Europe couple years ago. Online it showed $76 in taxes, but it will not book and gave me an error message. I have called and was told that "taxes" are around $300. I bought the tickets over the phone, but took a pdf of the page with $76 taxes. When my Amex bill arrived I have disputed the charge and mail Amex a printout with $76 taxes. DL did not reply to Amex at all and charges were removed.
+5, "Good answer. I like the way you think. I'm gonna be watching you."
Old Jan 18, 2011, 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by kebosabi
I dunno, you'd be surprised how many companies don't think of something as the thought never crossed their mind.

The US card companies putting themselves in a dead end as more Americans complaining about not being able to use their credit cards abroad as everyone else has switched to EMV chip & PIN systems for example. All these years they've resisted the change to move to EMV citing costs, now they're all scrambling like ducks to do so.
sounds like i just found myself a job! now how to convince them to hire me ...
Old Jan 19, 2011, 4:03 pm

Programs: AS, BA, AA
Originally Posted by 777lover
Time to send a letter to AA officially asking if this is a tax and copy DOT.
If nothing else, just to stir things in never never land
Originally Posted by uxb
In re solutions -

I'm . Isn't there an EU reg that already prevents the airlines from tacking on separate charges not included in the price of the ticket, and that these charges must be clearly stated at the time of booking? If I were the OP, I'd complain to the Air Transport Users Council (auc.uk.org), but I am not sure if they will accept a complaint from non-UK citizens/residents.

I filed a complaint against BA with the NYS Consumer Protection Board for another matter, and they forwarded it to the FAA, and then the complaint was never heard from again. It is pretty hard to persist against BA. The best option is to take them to civil court if the offence is that egregious.
Here is an interesting website:
http://www.travellaw.com/page/dot-fu...vertising-rule

Sounds like you could make it really expensive (to the tune of $27,500 per day) if an air carrier is misrepresenting a Fuel Surcharge as a tax. May not apply specifically to the OP's complaint, since it refers to advertising instead of billing, but... check it out.

Some excerpts:
49 U.S.C. § 41712.

Price advertising.

The Board considers any advertising or solicitation by a direct air carrier, indirect air carrier, or an agent of either, for passenger air transportation, a tour (i.e., a combination of air transportation and ground accommodations), or a tour component (e.g., a hotel stay) that states a price for such air transportation, tour, or tour component to be an unfair or deceptive practice, unless the price stated is the entire price to be paid by the customer to the air carrier, or agent, for such air transportation, tour, or tour component.
While the Department of Transportation requires that the total price to be paid by the consumer must be reflected in the quoted fare, governmentally imposed or approved taxes and fees may be excluded from the quoted fare if proper disclosures are provided. These disclosures must be comprehensive and should give consumers a clear picture of the total cost of the air ticket. Fees which are not imposed by the government (e.g. Fuel Surcharges or Service Fees) must be included in all advertised fares.

Penalties for Violations:

The law provides for a maximum of $27,500 in civil penalties per day while the violation is ongoing. There is a small business exception built into the law to reduce fines, but it has out-of-date requirements that are often exceeded in this modern era. When a violation has been outstanding for weeks or even months, these penalties accumulate and violators are often faced with hundreds of thousands or even millions of dollars in potential fines.
Over the past year, there has been a crackdown on violations of the Full Fare Advertising rule which has resulted in numerous consent orders against air carriers and their agents. The spike in oil prices in 2008 to just under $150 a barrel caused many carriers and agents to implement fuel surcharges. Many carriers and agents passed along these surcharges to consumers improperly which resulted in a wave of consent orders carrying substantial fines.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 4:20 pm
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Originally Posted by janetdoe
Here is an interesting website:
http://www.travellaw.com/page/dot-fu...vertising-rule

Sounds like you could make it really expensive (to the tune of $27,500 per day) if an air carrier is misrepresenting a Fuel Surcharge as a tax. May not apply specifically to the OP's complaint, since it refers to advertising instead of billing, but... check it out.

Some excerpts:
Nice cite. I am having trouble getting BA to comply with the compensation scheme for cancelled flights, so I'll hammer them on YQ and start a riot! However, filing a complaint with the DOT won't allow the OP to see any comp. A civil fine is something that the government gets back in order to buy expensive plumbing for the Pentagon. I wish our Congress passed rules similar to those enacted within the EU in order to make the airlines more accountable to us.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 5:25 pm

Programs: AS, BA, AA
Originally Posted by uxb
Nice cite. I am having trouble getting BA to comply with the compensation scheme for cancelled flights, so I'll hammer them on YQ and start a riot! However, filing a complaint with the DOT won't allow the OP to see any comp. A civil fine is something that the government gets back in order to buy expensive plumbing for the Pentagon. I wish our Congress passed rules similar to those enacted within the EU in order to make the airlines more accountable to us.
Agreed. But it is definitely ammo for a civil deceptive trade practices suit, isn't it? It may be the combo of hitting them deep in the pocket at $27k per day AND a civil suit to recoup your own losses is the key.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by janetdoe
Agreed. But it is definitely ammo for a civil deceptive trade practices suit, isn't it? It may be the combo of hitting them deep in the pocket at $27k per day AND a civil suit to recoup your own losses is the key.
27k per day would be nothing to BA. They can be fined for however long they wish and just pass that fine along to the consumers. I'm sure more than 500 people fly between the US and UK everyday on BA, they can easily divide 27k by 500 and tack on extra $54 to every person and call it a "fee."
Old Jan 19, 2011, 8:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Don't you mean "AAngry?"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.