Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wow AAgent gets ANGRY when you call YQ a fuel surcharge

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2011, 5:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 2MM +, CO, US, UA,SPG, Hertz Presidents Club
this could be an interesting issue for the FTC or states attorneys general to dig into. Representing this as a tax seems like it could be considered a deceptive trade practice.
DOT might have an opinion as well.

Has anyone filed a complaint with these agencies?
Old Jan 17, 2011, 6:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, F9 Elite, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

What makes you think that your "fuel surcharge" isn't also subject to VA sales tax?
To be honest, what you conceptually portray is one of the reasons YQs were created and exploited by airlines. QF and I believe BA have long used them to circumvent the 'commisionable' amount of tickets (which historically has been the base fare only). It is clever, and unfortunately the Australian courts have sided in QF's favor. Kind of along the lines of the US government now wanting it's share of the 'ancillary revenue' stream created by bag fees and such, as they are not subject to taxation in present form.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 7:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by denCSA
It is clever, and unfortunately the Australian courts have sided in QF's favor. Kind of along the lines of the US government now wanting it's share of the 'ancillary revenue' stream created by bag fees and such, as they are not subject to taxation in present form.
QF lost the case regarding not paying commision to Travel Agents

Dave
Old Jan 17, 2011, 8:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, F9 Elite, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Ahhhh I was not as up to date on the QF case

One thing I do remember was the way the judge described taxes as opposed to surcharges:

From Travel Weekly:

“The fuel surcharge is not a tax, charge or fee imposed by governments, authorities or airport operators,” he ruled.

Last edited by denCSA; Jan 17, 2011 at 8:39 pm
Old Jan 17, 2011, 9:29 pm

Programs: AS, BA, AA
Originally Posted by kebosabi
Another example would be say...a phone bill. It clearly separately lists all the nickle and diming that they ding us at the federal, state, and local level, plus any other optional services and "fees." But at least they break it down instead of lumping it together into one single "taxes & fees." I'm sure very few people would know from the top of their head what percentage of our phone bill go to federal, state and local taxes or whether or not the phone cos are just pocketing all that extra change.
AT&T is currently trying to settle a class action lawsuit where they billed customers for taxes that had expired and pocketed the money. And in this case, AT&T actually thought they were collecting a tax. Arguably, American Airlines know darn well what they are collecting is not a tax. @:-)

Another problem with calling it a tax: a tax would be the same for every airline on any given itinerary. So when AA tells a customer something is a tax, why bother to comparison shop? But in fact it is an airline-specific charge that varies between different carriers, so it is a deceptive practice. I don't know that this would apply as much to award tickets as it would to AA-issued (paid) tickets on carriers who do use YQ. Do those receipts say the YQ is a tax?
Old Jan 17, 2011, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by mvoight
The answer is simple. There should be a law against fuel surcharges.
They will come with something else. The best way to fight back is with the wallet.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 1:30 am

Programs: COPlat, AAEXP, GPDiamond, HiltonDiamond, MRPlat
Originally Posted by inlanikai
Proposed new SOP on FT: "Any consecutive three letters preceded and succeeded by a space shall not all be capitalized unless explicitly intended to imply an IATA airport code."

What does your comment have to do with Pinehurst, NC?
Old Jan 18, 2011, 2:14 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by LAXNYER
this could be an interesting issue for the FTC or states attorneys general to dig into. Representing this as a tax seems like it could be considered a deceptive trade practice. DOT might have an opinion as well.

Has anyone filed a complaint with these agencies?
I'd be happy to, but I haven't yet taken a trip which incurred a fuel surcharge, so I don't have any documentation to back up a complaint. I'm sure there are others reading this thread who would be in a better position to do so.

Originally Posted by JDiver
...if the price of Jet A dropped, do you really think all airlines would immediately quash their YQ?
Bingo. That's one of the reasons why I think it's so important for airlines to acknowledge fuel surcharges as fuel surcharges and not taxes: because it will be much more difficult for them to justify keeping fuel surcharges if the price of oil decreases.

They may indeed keep the fuel surcharges no matter what, but at least then it will be (more) obvious to everyone (other than just people on FT) that it is just a grab for cash. I think putting anything like that out in the open gives the consumer more bargaining power. That's what I really see as the objective here.

Originally Posted by denCSA
One thing I do remember was the way the judge described taxes as opposed to surcharges:

From Travel Weekly: “The fuel surcharge is not a tax, charge or fee imposed by governments, authorities or airport operators,” he ruled.
It definitely seems more likely than not that an American court would feel similarly.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 5:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

What makes you think that your "fuel surcharge" isn't also subject to VA sales tax?
Since I don't run my own business, I have no idea.. the above was a simplified hypothetical.. I realize you had the smiley face but its a good question.. is it?

on another note, I was working a project for GovTrip which is a travel site that certain gov agencies use to book travel

one of the things I learned was that in order to raise gov't fares between city pairs, they could always add/change the YQ.. so a $200 ow fare between city pair A & B would fluctuate with the fuel surcharge say another $60 would be added as YQ so the fare would now be $260.. evidently this is how the airlines managed their fare increases on fixed city pair prices
Old Jan 18, 2011, 10:04 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by JDiver
if the price of Jet A dropped, do you really thing all airlines would immediately quash their YQ?
Good point, but I doubt any airline now realistically see oil prices going back down to the point we used to see. And, at what point will we see a decrease in YQ charges? When barrel of oil goes from $100 to $90? Probably not, because in a week it might go back up to $95 again.

The price of oil these days are so volatile and when calculated on a mass scale, the $ amt is so big these days that one can't keep up with the fluctuation in prices that occur at each market day. A 10% fluctuation between $100 and $90 is much larger in $ amt than a 10% difference back when oil used to be $20 to $18.

And whose to say the airlines aren't just taking on say an extra $1 or $2 within the YQ charge to make additional profit instead of just covering the increase in fuel costs?

Last edited by kebosabi; Jan 18, 2011 at 11:36 am
Old Jan 18, 2011, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse

Since I don't run my own business, I have no idea.. the above was a simplified hypothetical.. I realize you had the smiley face but its a good question.. is it?

on another note, I was working a project for GovTrip which is a travel site that certain gov agencies use to book travel

one of the things I learned was that in order to raise gov't fares between city pairs, they could always add/change the YQ.. so a $200 ow fare between city pair A & B would fluctuate with the fuel surcharge say another $60 would be added as YQ so the fare would now be $260.. evidently this is how the airlines managed their fare increases on fixed city pair prices
I know nothing about VA's tax laws, but I have to believe that a state with a sales tax would subject a "fuel surcharge" to that tax. Otherwise, a merchant could sell the item for $1.00, collect a few pennies in sales tax for the state, and then add in a $100.00 non-taxable "fuel surcharge."
Old Jan 18, 2011, 10:46 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, FB Plat, AS Gold, Marriott Gold, Fairmont Plat, BA wannabe
So where's the American Airlines official response to this thread? They certainly have to realize that they've generated tremendous amounts of ill-will as a result of the policy and the fee presentation to their Elite Members.'

I would really wish they would weigh-in on these types of conversations.

Wishful thinking I suppose.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 11:05 am

Programs: PC Pl, UA 1K, CC Gl
I bought couple mileage tickets on DL from Europe couple years ago. Online it showed $76 in taxes, but it will not book and gave me an error message. I have called and was told that "taxes" are around $300. I bought the tickets over the phone, but took a pdf of the page with $76 taxes. When my Amex bill arrived I have disputed the charge and mail Amex a printout with $76 taxes. DL did not reply to Amex at all and charges were removed.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 12:46 pm

Programs: BA Silver | AA LT Gold | EY Silver | Marriott LT Titanium
Did DL take any retaliatory action as a result of your dispute? i.e. Cancelled your tickets or suspended your SkyPesos account?
Old Jan 18, 2011, 1:59 pm

Programs: AA ex-Plat
Originally Posted by kebosabi
Good point, but I doubt any airline now realistically see oil prices going back down to the point we used to see. And, at what point will we see a decrease in YQ charges? When barrel of oil goes from $100 to $90? Probably not, because in a week it might go back up to $95 again.

The price of oil these days are so volatile and when calculated on a mass scale, the $ amt is so big these days that one can't keep up with the fluctuation in prices that occur at each market day. A 10% fluctuation between $100 and $90 is much larger in $ amt than a 10% difference back when oil used to be $20 to $18.

And whose to say the airlines aren't just taking on say an extra $1 or $2 within the YQ charge to make additional profit instead of just covering the increase in fuel costs?
right, but YQ could be kept constant for say one fiscal year by any particular airline that hedges their fuel contracts (or for the length of the contract, whether shorter or longer than a fiscal year). this solves the problem of trying to tie the YQ to a contantly moving market rate.

when airlines have to purchase fuel at market rates (e.g. like AA did when it didn't have enough cash to hedge contracts a few years back), then that is when it would become difficult unless they pegged the YQ charge weekly, monthly, quarterly, or annually, except when the market rate varied by XX% up or down, which would be a corporate decision on the change frequency.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.