Wiki Posts
Search

Wow AAgent gets ANGRY when you call YQ a fuel surcharge

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2011, 12:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I also suggest that the use of "loose" instead of "lose" be ceased and that correct use of apostrophes also be employed
Originally Posted by denCSA
The idiots in the executive office at both respective carriers do not interface with us 'rift-raft,' therefore in a consumer-oriented culture we have the right and obligation to stand up for ourselves, collectively. While it is NOT okay to abuse or argue with customer-facing agents, the fact is they are the entry point to AA/BA for us.... Don't be afraid, speak up [NICELY]!
Let's also include use of 'rift-raft' instead of 'riff-raff'. As denCSA says, it is one thing to speak up nicely, quite another to badger.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 2:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by r415
Um, you mean like Standard Operating Procedure (SOP)?
THAT SUX
Old Jan 16, 2011, 10:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Platinum, AX Cent so...Delta Plat, SPG Gold, etc..
I still beleive that calling it a Tax is deceptive and illegal. In my business, if I called extra shipping charges a tax, I could end up in jail.

Imagine the implications - you buy something for $100 and on the invoice below that it says Taxes: $40.00

Then you dig further and find out the "taxes" were really just "packaging costs, we don't make any money on that we used to not charge it but now we have to"?

My customers would be at the AG's office screaming bloody murder. I'd end up on one of those exposing TV shows "on your side" looking like a crook.

"Sir was that REALLY a tax?" "Do you think it was fair to tell Grandma smith that there were 40% taxes on her purchase"....
Old Jan 16, 2011, 11:11 am

AA / BA awards are a problem because of the high London taxes and the BA fuel surcharge. However I like the 40,000 winter AA Award to Europe vs. 55,000 miles on UNITED / CO.

Here are the fees for a NYC to Geneva Award.

1. UA/CO $100.
2. AA connecting in London: $200
3. Flying BA: $300

I am therefore focusing more on my UA miles. But the 15,000 mile winter saving makes it somewhat worthwhile.

Try to connect in another city than London such as Madrid / Barcelona: AA / IB.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 11:29 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by dfyant
I still beleive that calling it a Tax is deceptive and illegal.
Could someone sue to get this "tax" back if it is indeed correct that the funds are not taxes and are not paid to the government?

The counter-argument could be that BA requires the funds as a fuel surcharge, and therefore it would not be appropriate to refund the "tax" to customers.

The response to the counter-argument could be that the fuel surcharge is not the same as a tax and the two are unrelated (i.e. it's not the passenger's fault if AA neglects to collect the fuel surcharge required by BA).

In short, it seems from a common sense perspective that some sort of legal recourse should be available for any business that represents itself as adding charges on for a tax, when in fact the charges are being added on for something else.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 11:34 am
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Originally Posted by NWAMileageSlave
Perhaps you should consult a lawyer about wiretapping laws.

Just sayin'

NWAMileageSlave, Esq.
Probably not a problem in any jurisdiction because AA gives notice that the conversation may be recorded. Which means that both parties (AA employee and customer) have been given notice and are likely deemed to consent.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ExpatExp
Could someone sue to get this "tax" back if it is indeed correct that the funds are not taxes and are not paid to the government?
I think at the very least that would depend on what it's called in writing. (And what is that? Once you book such an award with BA, what does your receipt say?)

This thread is about what an AAgent said, and I'm not sure that you could sue over an agent getting it wrong if the receipt was right.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch
I think at the very least that would depend on what it's called in writing. (And what is that? Once you book such an award with BA, what does your receipt say?)

This thread is about what an AAgent said, and I'm not sure that you could sue over an agent getting it wrong if the receipt was right.
Agreed! I should have been more clear.

Does anyone have an example of a ticket where this charge has been documented? I have avoided mileage redemptions on BA since the new policy took effect, so I would be curious to know how this "tax" is described on paper.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 11:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Platinum, AX Cent so...Delta Plat, SPG Gold, etc..
Agreed! I should have been more clear.

Does anyone have an example of a ticket where this charge has been documented? I have avoided mileage redemptions on BA since the new policy took effect, so I would be curious to know how this "tax" is described on paper.
Oh yeah they go the full 9 yards on this scheme. They call it TAX.

PASSENGER
XXXXXXXXXXXX TICKET NUMBER
XXXXXXXXXX FARE-USD
TAX
TICKET TOTAL
Old Jan 16, 2011, 12:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, F9 Elite, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Oh yeah they go the full 9 yards on this scheme. They call it TAX.

PASSENGER
XXXXXXXXXXXX TICKET NUMBER
XXXXXXXXXX FARE-USD
TAX
TICKET TOTAL
Not exactly, here is how a redemption ticket looks:

Code:
TKT-001XXXXXXXXX-XXX    RCI-                     AA  LOC-      
 OD-JFKJFK  SI-      FCMI-7   POI-XTM  DOI-29NOV10  IOI-
   1.XXXXXXXXX/XXXXX MR   ADT            S I               
 1  JFK BA 0112 Z 14JAN 1825 OK ZP62X5A/AVB43 A        29NOV    
 2 XLHR BA 0346 U 15JAN 0955 OK ZP62X5A/AVB43 A        29NOV    
 3  NCE    ARNK                                                 
 4 OGLA BA 1475 U 22FEB 0705 OK UP50A/AVB42   A        29NOV    
 5 XLHR AA 0105 U 22FEB 1215 OK UP50A/AVB42   O        29NOV    
    JFK                                                         
FARE   F USD         0.00                                       
TAX      USD       159.00YQ                                     
TAX      USD         2.50AY                                     
TAX      USD       332.20XT                                     
TOTAL    USD       493.70                                       
/FC NYC BA X/LON BA NCE M0.00ZP62X5A/AVB43 /- GLA BA X/LON AA NY
C0.00UP50 A/AVB42 NUC0.00END ROE1.00 XT191.50GB86.50UB32.20US5.5
0YC7.00XY5.00XA4.50XFJFK4.5                                     
FE FEE ON CHG/VOID IF SLD/PURCH/BTRD/           C57-58
The reason the agent likes to claim it is a tax is because it will either show itemized in the TAX field, or lumped together in the XT Taxes (as yours is above).

Code:
TOTALTAX   USD    493.70                                        
TX01 USD    159.00YQ  TX02 USD      2.50AY  TX03 USD    332.20XT
The reason for this is that fares and surcharges come from ATPCO on a weekly basis and the AIRLINES have complete control over what gets filed into ATPCO in what position. Just because BA/AA say it is a tax does not makes it so...
Old Jan 16, 2011, 12:32 pm

Ok, so they are indeed calling it a tax on paper?
Old Jan 16, 2011, 12:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I still beleive that calling it a Tax is deceptive and illegal. In my business, if I called extra shipping charges a tax, I could end up in jail.

Imagine the implications - you buy something for $100 and on the invoice below that it says Taxes: $40.00

Then you dig further and find out the "taxes" were really just "packaging costs, we don't make any money on that we used to not charge it but now we have to"?

My customers would be at the AG's office screaming bloody murder. I'd end up on one of those exposing TV shows "on your side" looking like a crook.

"Sir was that REALLY a tax?" "Do you think it was fair to tell Grandma smith that there were 40% taxes on her purchase"....

I do not see how it is any less a "tax" than an airport fee or passenger service charge which is paid to the airport.

I do not agree with the fee and do noth think that fuel is anything other than a fundamental requirement for flying, but given that other charges already exist on bookings which are not taxes ( but are listed under taxes ) I dont see how there could be an issue with non taxes being quoted as such

For a paid booking though AA on BA, it should have the flip benefit that should a cancellation be made to a fare which is non refundable/non changeable etc, the fuel surcharge element should be refunded
Old Jan 16, 2011, 1:30 pm

I do not see how it is any less a "tax" than an airport fee or passenger service charge which is paid to the airport.
I see what you mean, in the sense that it's part of the cost of the flight -- and I agree. However, it's still not a tax, at least as defined by Messrs. Merriam and Mr. Webster: "a charge usually of money imposed by authority on persons or property for public purposes".

Given that definition, I would indeed consider airport fees and passenger service charges to be taxes. Fuel, however, doesn't seem to be a tax any more than the cost of the aircraft's tires: Both are expendable physical goods which are used up in the course of an aircraft's operations. Neither expenditure is paid to anyone for the provision of public services.

I do not agree with the fee and do not think that fuel is anything other than a fundamental requirement for flying, but given that other charges already exist on bookings which are not taxes (but are listed under taxes) I don't see how there could be an issue with non taxes being quoted as such.
Interesting -- and I'm probably showing my inexperience here, so apologies if I am getting any of this completely wrong. So this process of defining various things as "taxes" is nothing new? For example, besides the fuel surcharge, are there other items which are described as tax in denCSA's receipt which are not taxes?

I wonder, however: Even if it is nothing new, it still seems that there should be some kind of recourse against a company for charging nonexistent tax. That really does seem like the kind of thing that should be illegal. I understand of course that in this situation there is a real cost to AA -- having to pay BA for the fuel surcharge -- but it does not appear to be appropriate to call fuel surcharges a "tax" any more than it would be appropriate to call catering a "tax": Both are goods which vary in price.

Even if a company has been doing something like this for a long time, it should still be possible to stop it...? Perhaps the fact that it is a long-standing situation would make a plaintiff's argument even stronger...?

Last edited by ExpatExp; Jan 16, 2011 at 1:36 pm Reason: Didn't realize there were two Mr. Merriams!
Old Jan 16, 2011, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
The answer is simple. There should be a law against fuel surcharges.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 2:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Given that definition, I would indeed consider airport fees and passenger service charges to be taxes. Fuel, however, doesn't seem to be a tax any more than the cost of the aircraft's tires: Both are expendable physical goods which are used up in the course of an aircraft's operations. Neither expenditure is paid to anyone for the provision of public services.
Given the English dictionary definition of tax being "a compulsory contribution towards a country's expenses raised by the government from people's salaries, property and from the sale of goods and services" , airport fees an passenger service charges are not taxes

if you accept that a fee payable to an airport for using its services can be charged as a tax, then surely a fee payable to an airline for using its services can also be charged as a tax?

I know that Qantas lists the entries as "Taxes and other charges" which seems to deal with the issue ; perhaps AA should reword the website and receipts to properly indicate that not all items in that field are taxes

Dave

Last edited by Dave Noble; Jan 16, 2011 at 2:37 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.