Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Oct 31, 2012, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This is the archived, obsolete thread; the current 2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE thread is now a "sticky" thread here .

/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE -.Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2011, 2:55 pm

Programs: American Airlines (PLAT)
Thanks for the quick reply! Really helpful!
Old Jan 29, 2011, 4:37 pm

I have about 90,000 American miles, 65,000 United miles, 40,000 US Air Miles, 9,000 Delta Miles, 14,000 Continental miles, and 60,000 Hilton Points. I haven't used miles in the past, but just signed up for the United, US, Hilton, and AA credit cards to get most of these. I usually fly from LAX/BUR to IAD and PIT. I would like to start flying first class using my miles. Is there one mileage program that is most valuable for this? If so, is there a way to transfer all of my miles into that one airline?
Old Jan 29, 2011, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by rwalia99
I have about 90,000 American miles, 65,000 United miles, 40,000 US Air Miles, 9,000 Delta Miles, 14,000 Continental miles, and 60,000 Hilton Points. I haven't used miles in the past, but just signed up for the United, US, Hilton, and AA credit cards to get most of these. I usually fly from LAX/BUR to IAD and PIT. I would like to start flying first class using my miles. Is there one mileage program that is most valuable for this? If so, is there a way to transfer all of my miles into that one airline?
Welcome!

There is no way to transfer miles among different airlines without losing a large chunk of them, as the exchange rates are quite unfavorable. In general you would have to route the miles through a third program, and you will lose at least 50% and likely more in value.

Also, while that seems like a lot of miles, they will not last you long. If you are going to use them strictly for upgrades, you will be able to upgrade 3 round trips on AA and a couple on US. In general you want to focus your mileage earning on a single airline so as to maximize the benefits.
Old Jan 30, 2011, 7:02 am

Keeping EXP status & various

Hello

I had about 70 K EQM in 2010 therefore I'll loose the EXP status on 02/28/11

Do you have any idea what I could do to keep the EXP status ?

A couple of years I had only 40.000 EQM and was able to keep the Plat status in paying something. Is that also possible to keep the EXP status ?

Also it seems than upgrading using EVIP is easier than using regular award, do you agree ?

Also when I'm on standby for a transatlantic flight upgrade, the AA Europe office seems to have the possibility to send an upgrade request to Dallas and it may be confirmed that way. Have you heard of something like that ?

Also someone told me that they'll soon close the smoking section in the AC in DFW. Have you heard soemthing like that ?

Thank you very much for your help

cedric
Old Jan 30, 2011, 7:08 am

Estickers upgrade

Hello

Sorry for this additonal post

I was wondering if I can redeem the Estickers for miles ?
I have more or less about 50 of them for years

Do you know how we earn these estickers ?

Also, I have a general question, on international flights I can book a cheap ticket on AA web site and get upgraded with 25k + 300 USD

Is it possible to buy a cheap one world airline ticket and got upgraded to business using AA miles ?

Thank you again for your help

Warmly
cedric
Old Jan 30, 2011, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Welcome to the Flame-Free Lounge!

Originally Posted by cedricgerald
I had about 70 K EQM in 2010 therefore I'll loose the EXP status on 02/28/11
Do you have any idea what I could do to keep the EXP status ?
Not much. You can appeal to AAdvantage Customer Service for a review but it is highly unlikely that you will succeed.

Originally Posted by cedricgerals
]A couple of years I had only 40.000 EQM and was able to keep the Plat status in paying something. Is that also possible to keep the EXP status ?
No.

Also it seems than upgrading using EVIP is easier than using regular award, do you agree ?
Usually, yes.

Also when I'm on standby for a transatlantic flight upgrade, the AA Europe office seems to have the possibility to send an upgrade request to Dallas and it may be confirmed that way. Have you heard of something like that ?
EXP Agents have the ability to send an upgrade request to revenue management for manual approval.

Also someone told me that they'll soon close the smoking section in the AC in DFW. Have you heard soemthing like that ?
I didn't even know there was a smoking section.
I was wondering if I can redeem the Estickers for miles ?
If you are primarily an international traveler, the answer is generally yes.

You earn 4 for every 10K miles you fly while holding GLD or PLT status.

Also, I have a general question, on international flights I can book a cheap ticket on AA web site and get upgraded with 25k + 300 USD
Yes.

Is it possible to buy a cheap one world airline ticket and got upgraded to business using AA miles ?
No.

Last edited by vasantn; Jan 30, 2011 at 10:31 am Reason: Correction of inaccuracy. Thanks, Efrem,
Old Jan 30, 2011, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by vasantn

You earn 4 for every 10K miles you fly while holding elite status...
Not exactly. You earn 4 for every 10K miles you fly while Gold or Platinum. EXPs don't earn these, since they are upgraded without them.

The redemption rate is 500 miles for each one. (Used to be 2,500 each a long time ago. Old posts that turn up in an FT search may give this number. It's been 500 for years, though.)

If you don't need the miles there's no reason to exchange them. They don't expire. As EXP, you still need them to upgrade travel companions on internal North American flights. If you drop to Platinum, you'll need them for yourself. The only risk in not redeeming them now is that the opportunity to do so will go away. I think that's a small risk, at least in the short term, but nobody knows since this is an unpublished offer.
Old Jan 30, 2011, 10:27 am

Thank you Vasantn & Efrem for the info & quick reply

Kindly
cedric
Old Jan 30, 2011, 10:33 am

Programs: DL Gold
I am flying USA-USA//6 month stopover//EUR.

2 questions:

1) Do I need my passport to get through security at the first USA airport? (Please please say no since I don't have it on me ) I will have entered my details online and checked-in online.

2) Can I check a bag for free at the first USA airport? Will I be able to pick it up at my stopover location?
Old Jan 30, 2011, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by hotelmotel

2 questions:

1) Do I need my passport to get through security at the first USA airport? (Please please say no since I don't have it on me ) I will have entered my details online and checked-in online.

2) Can I check a bag for free at the first USA airport? Will I be able to pick it up at my stopover location?
I'm not sure I understand this. Are you flying a domestic trip, then stopping for 6 months before going to Europe?

You may not be able to check in for your TATL leg since it'll be 6 months too early, so they may not need to check your passport. Hopefully, someone with direct experience can answer this question.
Old Jan 30, 2011, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
I'm not sure I understand this. Are you flying a domestic trip, then stopping for 6 months before going to Europe?

You may not be able to check in for your TATL leg since it'll be 6 months too early, so they may not need to check your passport. Hopefully, someone with direct experience can answer this question.
Yes, single PNR with a stopover in the states for 6 months before the TATL leg. I believe I'm checking in for the entire trip at the beginning, hence my concern.

After doing some further research, it appears as if having my correct passport info submitted, along with checking in online and printing my boarding pass, I should be ok with just a driver's license at the first airport. Would appreciate if someone could confirm this, however.
Old Jan 30, 2011, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by hotelmotel

2 questions:

Basically, you're asking if your first segment will be regarded as domestic or international. Strictly speaking, it should be domestic since you will not be receiving an international boarding pass. How will the agent interpret it? Who knows. If they think it is international, they will require a passport, but not charge for luggage. If they think it is domestic, they won't require a passport, but will not charge for luggage.

In either case, you will be able to get your luggage at your stopover. AA won't want to keep track of your bags for 6 months.
Old Jan 30, 2011, 11:01 am

How would you be checking-in for the international portion? Can you leave your bags with them and get a boarding pass 6 months before the flight?
Old Jan 30, 2011, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
How would you be checking-in for the international portion? Can you leave your bags with them and get a boarding pass 6 months before the flight?
I will have to let you know later. All I know is the email from AA this morning said "Your International Itinerary is Ready for Check-In." Waiting to receive my passport details from home before I can check in online, however.
Old Jan 30, 2011, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by gemac
Basically, you're asking if your first segment will be regarded as domestic or international. Strictly speaking, it should be domestic since you will not be receiving an international boarding pass. How will the agent interpret it? Who knows. If they think it is international, they will require a passport, but not charge for luggage. If they think it is domestic, they won't require a passport, but will not charge for luggage.

In either case, you will be able to get your luggage at your stopover. AA won't want to keep track of your bags for 6 months.
I assume you mean will charge for luggage under this interpretation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.