FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   AA Overweight Passenger ("POS") Policy? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/1167571-aa-overweight-passenger-pos-policy.html)

JumboD Jan 5, 2011 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by Spiff (Post 15589594)
Still no argument from me.

However, "confirmed" standbys get offloaded all the time for late-arriving passengers and "confirmed" upgrades sometimes get downgraded when a passenger makes his/her connection unexpectedly. I'm not saying that any of these situations should happen, but in all of them, the passenger will usually have to seek compensation after the fact.

I agree about seeking compensation after the fact for a downgrade, but not necessarily for being offloaded entirely. There aren't laws governing the downgrading of pax upgraded due to their elite status.

In an offload situation, I think the best chance of staying on that flight (or getting cash compensation) is to inform the GA that you expect the standard IDB compensation and that you plan to report the incident to the DOT.

Flyertalker01233 Jan 5, 2011 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by Sagy (Post 15585763)
I think that the OP was a stand-by passenger (if not consider the case of a stand-by). If that is the case, he is the one that might have been left off the flight (no room to accommodate stand-bys)

I actually had a confirmed ticket. My flight on Sunday had been cancelled and they immediatly gave me a confirmed seat for the Wednesday flight in question.

Flyertalker01233 Jan 5, 2011 2:02 pm

On the way to BOS I sat next to a very good looking exotic dancer. We had a few drinks and talked about the profession. Maybe the POS on the way back to ORD was intended to even that out. :)

It looks like everyone agrees that if you don't speak up nothing is going to happen so like most things involving airlines you need to know the policy and be proactive or they are going to walk all over you. After reading AA's written policy I sent them a letter. I will let you all know how they respond.

zpaul Jan 5, 2011 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by marcdd2 (Post 15590317)
On the way to BOS I sat next to a very good looking exotic dancer. We had a few drinks and talked about the profession. Maybe the POS on the way back to ORD was intended to even that out. :)

It looks like everyone agrees that if you don't speak up nothing is going to happen so like most things involving airlines you need to know the policy and be proactive or they are going to walk all over you. After reading AA's written policy I sent them a letter. I will let you all know how they respond.

I had to purchase a last-minute J class trip SCL-DFW-DEN and back in Jan 2010. On one segment, of course the biggie SCL-DFW J was sold out, so I was given a "priority" Y seat - 12A - for my full-fare economy payment. Needless to say most of the seat was unavailable to me due to a POS in 12B.

I was far too accommodating and moved to a center seat for the flight (after about 30 min in the air) and left her with two "premium" seats to herself. My complaint letter netted me a $75 voucher for future travel.

I now carry each airline's policy (when I can find it) on my laptop for easy reference.

Flyertalker01233 Jan 5, 2011 3:15 pm

There seems to be a theme with POS's sitting in middle seats. Could this be the answer to the, "who is the idiot reserved in seat B with A and C open?" when I'm chosing my seat? Maybe POS's realize that if they sit in A then they will overspill too much into B and that if they take C they will block the drink cart, but if they sit in B it will be much less likely that they are required to buy a second seat.

emma dog Jan 5, 2011 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by marcdd2 (Post 15590858)
There seems to be a theme with POS's sitting in middle seats. Could this be the answer to the, "who is the idiot reserved in seat B with A and C open?" when I'm chosing my seat? Maybe POS's realize that if they sit in A then they will overspill too much into B and that if they take C they will block the drink cart, but if they sit in B it will be much less likely that they are required to buy a second seat.

I suspect it's because they aren't elites for the most part and are stuck in middle seats.

mvoight Jan 5, 2011 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by Spiff (Post 15588975)
No argument from me that "confirmed" should mean confirmed, but I can only imagine that the GA will "unconfirm" a standby in such a case and let said standby sort it out with customer service instead of trying to get the POS to buy that second seat and/or offload the POS.

This exactly what should NOT be done. If the POS is too big for the seat, the POS should buy the second seat or be offloaded to buy a second seat on another flight. A standby passenger still paid for a seat. If the POS only paid for one 1 seat, they have no rights to space on the second seat.

Spiff Jan 5, 2011 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by mvoight (Post 15592355)
This exactly what should NOT be done. If the POS is too big for the seat, the POS should buy the second seat or be offloaded to buy a second seat on another flight. A standby passenger still paid for a seat. If the POS only paid for one 1 seat, they have no rights to space on the second seat.

I agree completely.

Getting the GA to do that rather than remove a "now-confirmed" standby, however, is another matter.

brp Jan 5, 2011 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by Spiff (Post 15592927)
I agree completely.

Getting the GA to do that rather than remove a "now-confirmed" standby, however, is another matter.

This is the crux of the matter. As mentioned above, people (generally) don't like confrontation. This even includes the GAs, whether it's the rule or not. POS is a touchy subject and it seems rude to say, basically, "you're too big and you have to buy a second seat." Even if it is the rule.

I used to work at rock concerts. Smoking was not allowed in the seats, and I had no problem confronting the smoking folks. That was easy; this would be harder to do. Employees will look for an "easier" way to handle this.

Cheers.

JumboD Jan 6, 2011 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by brp (Post 15592986)
This is the crux of the matter. As mentioned above, people (generally) don't like confrontation. This even includes the GAs, whether it's the rule or not. POS is a touchy subject and it seems rude to say, basically, "you're too big and you have to buy a second seat." Even if it is the rule.

I used to work at rock concerts. Smoking was not allowed in the seats, and I had no problem confronting the smoking folks. That was easy; this would be harder to do. Employees will look for an "easier" way to handle this.

Cheers.

Which is why my strategy would be to very politely make it a lot more difficult to displace me vs. the POS. GAs, like almost everyone, will take the path of least resistance.

mvoight Jan 6, 2011 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by JumboD (Post 15600199)
Which is why my strategy would be to very politely make it a lot more difficult to displace me vs. the POS. GAs, like almost everyone, will take the path of least resistance.

Exactly.... The 2nd seat doesn't belong to the POS passenger, and this includes AA's ability to give it to a standby passenger.

billgrates3 Jan 7, 2011 9:34 am

Moderators --- a suggestion

if POS is an "official" acronym, it should be added to the acronym/glossary sticky list.

jt7dreamz Jan 7, 2011 10:46 am

how is anyone talking to the FA's without the POS hearing them? I have had the same sitch where I was at the airport early, switched my flt to a middle (confirmed) seat, figuring it was a 2 hour flight- its fnie (I'm smaller) and ended up with a POS (tall guy too) who's leg was in my middle section and who spilled over into the aisle and my seat. I was mortified and couldnt get the cojones to ask him to lower the armrest because i knew he wouldnt be able to (never mind comfortably).

usually with status i am ok on flights, but this was a nightmare. $75 comp for the experience though.

JumboD Jan 7, 2011 11:01 am

Originally Posted by jt7dreamz (Post 15604935)
how is anyone talking to the FA's without the POS hearing them? I have had the same sitch where I was at the airport early, switched my flt to a middle (confirmed) seat, figuring it was a 2 hour flight- its fnie (I'm smaller) and ended up with a POS (tall guy too) who's leg was in my middle section and who spilled over into the aisle and my seat. I was mortified and couldnt get the cojones to ask him to lower the armrest because i knew he wouldnt be able to (never mind comfortably).

usually with status i am ok on flights, but this was a nightmare. $75 comp for the experience though.

If your seat is far enough forward that you can already see them there when you enter the aircraft, then alert the FA/GA in the front galley or on the jet bridge. If not, keep walking all the way back and find a FA in the rear galley and have the discussion with them.

jt7dreamz Jan 7, 2011 11:08 am

Originally Posted by JumboD (Post 15605077)
If your seat is far enough forward that you can already see them there when you enter the aircraft, then alert the FA/GA in the front galley or on the jet bridge. If not, keep walking all the way back and find a FA in the rear galley and have the discussion with them.

i mean fair enough. i suppose that would work assuming the FA is willing and able and not preocupied w leaving on time et al. When this happened (Sept) i saw him, he got up to allow me to sit down, i sat. then i decided to go to the bathroom. i TOLD the flight attendant. he shrugged. I peed and went back to my seat. EOS. Awesome. I honestly do think being a smaller younger girl you're not taken as seriously. I will never forget the day a flight attendant told me I couldnt possibly (verbatim) be in the right seat (first class trans com wearing sweats for the ride (EXP baby!!! I almost whipped out the card).