FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   AA Overweight Passenger ("POS") Policy? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/1167571-aa-overweight-passenger-pos-policy.html)

C17PSGR Jan 3, 2011 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by cynicAAl (Post 15575775)
"obesity" is not a protected class; illegal discrimination is not a factor here.

Morbid obesity (and other obesity) can be caused be a medical condition and may be a disability -- hence the protected class. And ... its not a matter of discrimination. Those with a disability are entitled to be reasonably accommodated, not just protected from discrimination.

AA's policy is consistent with those obligations. We'll sit you next to an empty seat for free if we've got one. We'll sell you an upgrade if that works. Or we'll let you standby for the next flight (without the standby fee).

Incidentally ... sure seems like a lot of folks are flying with Fluffy the Service Dog lately. Get a doctors note, save on baggage fees, and Fluffy gets to ride with you. Just wondering who decides what trumps my allergy :)

In any event, FA and GA's have no interest in getting involved in this quagmire.

Spiff Jan 3, 2011 9:12 pm

As I posted a long time ago...

The OP should have refused to try to sit down and instead asked to be reseated. If the FA found another seat for him/her, all would be well.

If not, then the GA or Customer Service Representative needs to be summoned because there's going to be a case of denied boarding. If the FA refuses to get the GA/CSR and tries to kick the OP off the flight, the OP is now IDB (see below). He/she should ask "Am I IDB?" because that's a statistic that is tracked by the FAA and most airlines try to avoid IDB whenever possible.

The GA/CSR should ask the POS to purchase a second ticket. If he/she does not, then he/she should be deplaned and accommodated on the next available flight.

If the POS agrees to pay for a second seat, the plane is now oversold as there are no longer enough seats for everyone. The GA/CSR must ask for a volunteer. If he/she gets one, then the OP gets that seat and then the volunteer receives VDB (Voluntary Denied Boarding) compensation according to AA's CoC (Contract of Carriage).

If no one volunteers, then the OP (or someone else) becomes IDB (Involuntarily Denied Boarding) where the compensation may be higher, in cash, and reaccommodation is on the next flight, American or not, and in whatever cabin is available (even J or F) at AA's expense.

None of these things will happen if the OP doesn't start with asking to be reseated. The FA/GA/CSR will not offer to go through the above. The OP or anyone else needs to be proactive and unwilling to fly in a fraction of a seat.

JumboD Jan 3, 2011 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin (Post 15575805)
Yeah. There's always the sticky situation when you don't want to be non-PC and offend someone. It's like wondering when you should speak up about children being too noisy or people who talk too loudly on the plane.

When it comes to POS, I rarely have a problem since I pretty much always fly J/F and the increased seat width and larger seat dividers lessen potential "overflow". However were I sitting in any cabin and seated next to someone who was encroaching on my space, I would certainly ask to be reseated in a comparable seat.

If seated in an exit row, I would also make the point that someone who couldn't fit completely in their seat would be unable to fit through the exit with ease, creating a safety hazard for all other pax.

I realize that the exit rows have immovable armrests, but given lipids' malleable nature, it's still possible to fit into the seat but have "overflow" above the armrests.

FXEpilot77 Jan 3, 2011 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by Triniflyguy (Post 15573625)
* Unable to lower both armrests without encroaching upon the adjacent seating space or another customer.

If the arm rests can be lowered, but they are still encroaching upon my space, are they still subject to this policy? That has happened to me several times.

Spiff Jan 3, 2011 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by FXEpilot77 (Post 15577437)
If the arm rests can be lowered, but they are still encroaching upon my space, are they still subject to this policy? That has happened to me several times.

Yes.

hiltonlondon2009 Jan 4, 2011 3:49 am

So when I was 22 and first started flying, before I knew anything about status or miles or FT or rules / regs, or frankly, had <redacted> to say anything, I sat in coach, middle seat form SFO - ORD. I was sandwiched by an obese couple. Each weighed no less than 300 lbs. They purposely, clearly, booked the aisle and window seat and I guess they lucked out since I'm a buck fifty or so. Terrible flight. Made EXP 6 months later, and ever since, thankfully, for the past 4 years, I haven't had to deal with that in F anymore. But even if I did have to deal with that, I know now how to.

MiamiAirport Formerly NY George Jan 4, 2011 6:57 am

With everything a GA has to do before flight, and often working the gate alone until boarding commences, scanning the crowd for a POS is not very practical. Yes, the GA could stop the person when boarding but lets be real that is probably not going to happen.

As an EXP usually up front, it usually is not a big (pardon the pun) issue for me. But I did miss three upgs last year and occassionally fly DL (like this weekend) with no status so I am back there from time to time. I find that having a window seat seems to give you more space and of course you don't have to get up during flight for anyone else.

As others have said, you could be asked to be reseated. But that will probably mean something like being given something 32E on an MD 80 given load factors. If the flight is full, you could pull the IVB card but also likely you need to be somewhere at a certain time or make a connection.

JumboD Jan 4, 2011 7:21 am

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge (Post 15579073)

As others have said, you could be asked to be reseated. But that will probably mean something like being given something 32E on an MD 80 given load factors. If the flight is full, you could pull the IVB card but also likely you need to be somewhere at a certain time or make a connection.

But as EXP, don't you almost certainly have an exit row when in Y? If so, I don't think it's unreasonable at all to request the POS be reseated as a safety concern.

gemac Jan 4, 2011 8:38 am

Originally Posted by JumboD (Post 15579186)
But as EXP, don't you almost certainly have an exit row when in Y? If so, I don't think it's unreasonable at all to request the POS be reseated as a safety concern.

Exit row seats don't have armrests that go up. If another passenger can sit in an exit row seat and get the seat belt fastened, they will fit through the window exit.

cynicAAl Jan 4, 2011 10:21 am

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge (Post 15579073)

AA's POS policy says nothing about reseating the person who is inconvenienced.

If you meet any of the above criteria and have not booked an extra seat in advance, please see an airport agent. If seats are available in your ticketed cabin, you may be accommodated in the same cabin next to an empty seat. The additional seating must be available without downgrading or unseating another customer. If time allows, and upon payment of the fare difference, you may be offered a seat in a higher class of service that may provide more space*.

If additional seating is not available, you may purchase a second adjacent seat on a different flight. The fare for the second seat will be the same as the original seat.

It does seem to indicate that the POS will be reseated if 2 adjacent seats are available, or the POS will be (presumably deplaned and) able to purchase 2 seats on a later flight.

The policy seems fair; reseat the POS (space available) or rebook them if they failed to follow the policy and purchase an F or second Y seat.

hillrider Jan 4, 2011 3:26 pm

Airline seats seem to be a problem for other people of size as well (but those generally don't encroach on other passengers): Tall passengers getting shortchanged.

Dallas49er Jan 4, 2011 4:40 pm

Pending closure:

The moral of the story, as with just about every situation discussed here, is to be proactive. Regardless of whether it is size, odor, obnoniosisity(?), or whatever the issue, chances are no one will have your best intests at heart more than you.

And if you are worried about what "people" are going to think, my philosophy is: "I'm never going to see these people again."

Happy New Year.

mvoight Jan 4, 2011 7:44 pm

In the OP's case, and his concerned about being removed due to the other passenger's size, I think this is the important part of the AA doc: "If additional seating is not available, you may purchase a second adjacent seat on a different flight"....

The POS is the one that would be subject to going on a later flight.

Triniflyguy Jan 4, 2011 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by Dallas49er (Post 15583439)
Pending closure:

The moral of the story, as with just about every situation discussed here, is to be proactive. Regardless of it is size, odor, obnoniosisity(?), or whatever the issue, chances are no one will have your best intests at heart more than you.

And if you are worried about what "people" are going to think, my philosophy is: "I'm never going to see these people again."

Happy New Year.

I agree totally with you. ^

Let's hope I don't have to make that sorta decision any time soon though!

JDiver Jan 4, 2011 10:14 pm

One more time:

Some posts have been deleted for dilatory content of being off topic (experiences on other airlines, experiences with loud people, derogatory or dismissive comments or words using to describe others, attempts to explain obesity as medical, psychiatric or an other phenomenon, and all qualify for deletion as well as some for TOS violation issues.

We understand this can be a problem and it is useful to discuss what has happened, the airline's responsibility, etc. but if this thread is to remain open, it should remain on topic, remain helpful and respectful of others, and take a higher road than previous threads that have required closure.

Thanks for your contributions and cooperation. If anyone has any doubts what the TOS that they agreed to adhere to when they were granted the privilege of posting on FlyerTalk, they can read the TOS / Rules here.

In other words, due to the challenges presented by previous threads on this topic, this thread will be strictly moderated. Further excursions will result in thread closure.

JDiver, Moderator