FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   AA Overweight Passenger ("POS") Policy? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/1167571-aa-overweight-passenger-pos-policy.html)

Flyertalker01233 Jan 3, 2011 11:18 am

AA Overweight Passenger ("POS") Policy?

Also, on the way back I was seated next to a large man 350-400lbs. I was in the aisle he was in the middle. He was unable to put either arm rest down and literally had to lift his leg fat so that I could squeeze into my seat and then he let it go covering my left leg. I expected the flight attendant to ask him to switch with his young son who had plenty of space in the window seat, but they didn’t come up to me. Does anyone know what AA’s policy on overweight passengers?

====================MODERATOR NOTE==================

Due to the challenges presented by previous threads on this topic, this thread will be strictly moderated.

Be sure to read:

Post # 10, which quotes American Airlines' policy <link>, and

post #94 (more or less) linked to here, for the Customers Requiring Two Seats policy from the FAs manual, Customer Policies, Boarding - 3.5.

clacko Jan 3, 2011 11:40 am

did you ask the fa or the man about switching?...i wouldn't expect a fa to act unless asked....should the situation reoccur, i would try for the window w/kid in middle...good luck...

FlyMeToTheLooneyBin Jan 3, 2011 11:50 am

Originally Posted by marcdd2 (Post 15573128)
Also, on the way back I was seated next to a large man 350-400lbs. I was in the aisle he was in the middle. He was unable to put either arm rest down and literally had to lift his leg fat so that I could squeeze into my seat and then he let it go covering my left leg. I expected the flight attendant to ask him to switch with his young son who had plenty of space in the window seat, but they didn’t come up to me. Does anyone know what AA’s policy on overweight passengers?

Sorry to hear that. That's one of my worst nightmares. You just seem to be getting all the bad luck with your holiday travels.

Flyertalker01233 Jan 3, 2011 12:00 pm

Well I got home on time to make a friend’s memorial service which I was grateful for. I didn’t have the extra vacation time to cover mon-weds so I had to take unpaid leave, but I’m in sales so that was just my base salary. I also was staying at my parents so there were no hotel costs. In the long run 3 more days with the family and my long distance girlfriend was great. I could have done without the big guy though. I would have said something, but I had no idea of the policy and was worried that it may be considered a disability and a safety hazard in which case I could end up being the one losing my seat and having to wait a few more days to get home.

emma dog Jan 3, 2011 12:05 pm

I wouldn't have accepted that seating arrangement. AA's own policies require one to be able to sit in the seat with the arm rests down. If he wasn't able to do that then he needed 2 seats... not 1 + 1/2 of yours.

Flyertalker01233 Jan 3, 2011 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by emma dog (Post 15573481)
I wouldn't have accepted that seating arrangement. AA's own policies require one to be able to sit in the seat with the arm rests down. If he wasn't able to do that then he needed 2 seats... not 1 + 1/2 of yours.

Any idea where that is written? I assume it's something that they would have to tell customers beforehand.

MiamiAirport Formerly NY George Jan 3, 2011 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by emma dog (Post 15573481)

I doubt that AA unlike maybe WN is really enforcing any policy. I've seen paxs waddle back to Y thinking a) no way that person is going to fit in a Y seat properly b) thank god I'm up in this F seat and do not need to worry about people's body parts overflowing onto me and c) someone (the pax next to them) is going to have a miserable flight.

The few times that I am in Y I do have a system. I take a couple of books and newspapers and wedge them in between the two seats along with a blanket that way no one's body fat will enter my personal space.

Fornebufox Jan 3, 2011 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge (Post 15573545)
The few times that I am in Y I do have a system. I take a couple of books and newspapers and wedge them in between the two seats along with a blanket that way no one's body fat will enter my personal space.

A legal-size clipboard works nicely.

paseom2 Jan 3, 2011 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge (Post 15573545)
I doubt that AA unlike maybe WN is really enforcing any policy. I've seen paxs waddle back to Y thinking a) no way that person is going to fit in a Y seat properly...

Especially bad when one is on Eagle!

Triniflyguy Jan 3, 2011 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by marcdd2 (Post 15573536)
Any idea where that is written? I assume it's something that they would have to tell customers beforehand.

This question has been asked before.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...sengers-y.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...t-what-do.html

Nonetheless, here's AA's policy:

http://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInforma...false&from=Nav

Customers Requiring Extra Space

For the safety and comfort of all customers, we have aligned our seating accommodation policies with other major airlines regarding customers who may require more than one seat because they are:

* Unable to fit into a single seat in their ticketed cabin and/or
* Unable to properly buckle their seatbelt using a single seatbelt extender (available upon request from a flight attendant) and/or
* Unable to lower both armrests without encroaching upon the adjacent seating space or another customer.

Reservations

We encourage customers to address their seating needs when booking the original reservation. If you meet the above criteria, one of our Reservations representatives will ensure that you receive two adjacent seats at the same rate for each seat.

At the Airport

If you meet any of the above criteria and have not booked an extra seat in advance, please see an airport agent. If seats are available in your ticketed cabin, you may be accommodated in the same cabin next to an empty seat. The additional seating must be available without downgrading or unseating another customer. If time allows, and upon payment of the fare difference, you may be offered a seat in a higher class of service that may provide more space*.

If additional seating is not available, you may purchase a second adjacent seat on a different flight. The fare for the second seat will be the same as the original seat.

vasantn Jan 3, 2011 12:26 pm

About time for another POS thread ... :rolleyes:

In before the lock!

cynicAAl Jan 3, 2011 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by marcdd2 (Post 15573128)
... I was seated next to a large man 350-400lbs. I was in the aisle he was in the middle. He was unable to put either arm rest down and literally had to lift his leg fat so that I could squeeze into my seat and then he let it go covering my left leg.

you are far more patient than I would have been in that situation. When I get a POS seated next to me, I put the arm rest down (actually, I do that for everyone). If the arm rest won't go down, I call an FA to deal with the reseating.

broadwayblue Jan 3, 2011 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by vasantn (Post 15573647)
About time for another POS thread ... :rolleyes:

In before the lock!

So you don't think it's a legitimate complaint if someone is occupying part of your seat?

Flyertalker01233 Jan 3, 2011 12:47 pm

Thanks Triniflyguy. Thats what I was looking for.

Flyertalker01233 Jan 3, 2011 12:50 pm

Sorry I missed the previous searches. Thanks for not blowing up the post with "DAFS".