Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Weather: Northeast travel delays / waivers (Dec 26 - 30, 2010)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2010, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Currently at JFK....and it's a mess. Basically everything scheduled after 12PM EST has been canceled except for a few LHR flights. Surprisingly, a few Eagle flights to RDU and YYZ are still on the boards as On Time.....
Old Dec 26, 2010, 12:43 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Proactive <bump> after threads merge.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 1:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
Got lucky...

Were scheduled on the 777 MIA-JFK at 2:55 this afternoon. Saw the weather and called last night to switch to the 762 at 11:30 this morning. Got the call this morning that was cancelled and had been re-booked on the 11:55 MIA-EWR. Got to MIA, was told that 11:55 was cancelled and somehow they got us two seats on the 10:05 MIA-EWR but we needed to run. Made it to the gate at 9:50 (again, the gods were smiling) and our upgrades somehow cleared! Landed at EWR to empty runways/taxiways. The drive into Manhattan was interesting...

Overall think we just got lucky with a VERY helpful TA in MIA that got us on the 10:05. The wait times for phone service (even calling the PLT number) were horrible, but that's to be expected. Most frustrating was watching seats on alternate flights dissapear while waiting on the phone...

Hope everyone has safe travels or is able to enjoy wherever they're stuck.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 2:12 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Tracking potential cancellations

Never having done the Northeast snow thing before, I look to veterans for advice.

I'm here in Philadelphia, scheduled to fly back to DFW Tuesday morning. It looks like Monday's flights have been cancelled already, and Schedules at AA.com shows no fPHL-DFW lights on Tuesday.

How is the best way to track my potential cancellation?
Old Dec 26, 2010, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
Originally Posted by Dallas49er
Never having done the Northeast snow thing before, I look to veterans for advice.

I'm here in Philadelphia, scheduled to fly back to DFW Tuesday morning. It looks like Monday's flights have been cancelled already, and Schedules at AA.com shows no fPHL-DFW lights on Tuesday.

Assume by schedules you mean the selection of flights that can be purchased via reservations? Assume that those are not showing as AA has stopped selling seats under the assumption they'll need the inventory to get folks home. The best way to track you flight would be to start tomorrow looking at flight status, not reservations.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 2:32 pm

Programs: I've gone underground!
Originally Posted by Dallas49er

The weather is supposta be done by Monday afternoon. So, unless there isn't a plane sitting in PHL (possible), your flight should fly.

As far as the remaining question... there's not much you can do until Monday PM. Sign up for text/cell alerts. That's about it.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 3:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Breaking News via Twitter/NBC News:

AA has cancelled all flights in and out of the Northeast until 10 am tomorrow.

http://twitter.com/#!/BreakingNews/s...58265053057025
Old Dec 26, 2010, 5:14 pm

Programs: UAL, AA, AS, CX
Originally Posted by demkr
Breaking News via Twitter/NBC News:

AA has cancelled all flights in and out of the Northeast until 10 am tomorrow.

http://twitter.com/#!/BreakingNews/s...58265053057025
Yea got the tweet - so I called and my 520pm from EWR to DFW is still showing a-ok! But asked if I could preemptively switch as I'm commuting 3 hours one way to get to the flight and agent said yes - when checking for alternates sorry charlie there are no seats - I am assuming according to my current booking class.

Anything else that can or should be done? Maybe by 520p things will be running again who knows. I plan to call back though.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 6:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Originally Posted by JHIN
Anything else that can or should be done?
Pray.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Jfk closed.

Due to SNOW, the John F Kennedy International Airport (JFK) was closed as of Dec 26 at 08:17 PM EST. The date/time when the airport is expected to reopen is Dec 27 at 05:00 AM EST.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 8:11 pm

Programs: UAL, AA, AS, CX
AA has done me well I think - rebooked to next day upgrades cleared coast to coast and not much else I guess I could ask for given mother natures dump of snow.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 8:48 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, AAdvantage
We have made it to LAX from SJC but are now trying to get back to NYC area. We were rebooked automatically from SJC to NYC tomorrow via DFW and as awesome as an extra day on the beach sounds, we really need to get back home. We're hoping to continue flying east tonight to IAD otherwise to ORD and then we'll figure out how to get to New York from there.

Due to the long phone times and getting tossed out of the secured area at LAX into the regular departures area since we were on an international flight, we asked an agent to help us at the Priority/Business desk. People behind us were getting irritated and muttered quite loudly "you can call and rebook flights." Duh, I know that (I told them I know I can call) but there is a huge storm on the east coast and I'd like to see them try to call when there is an agent with a computer standing in front of you. Apparently the passengers in LAX were oblivious to the snow storm and apologized.

Last edited by sent; Dec 26, 2010 at 10:00 pm
Old Dec 26, 2010, 9:44 pm

Over the last few hours AA canceled a couple of more JFK/LAX flights. #3 (11:55a) and #117 (1:45p) are now canceled, leaving 4 afternoon flights out of 9 direct flights open.

The first flight #118 from LAX is also canceled even though it arrives around 3p. I think the same plane that goes JFK-LAX also goes back, so it may just be availability.

It looks like the weather will improve starting at 6am, but considering that severe-condition forecast has been extended to most of the night it may continue into the morning. My assumption is that if not for the new regulations, they would have taken the risk in not canceling, and let more flights out of JFK early this afternoon because the sever conditions didn't start when scheduled.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 9:58 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Originally Posted by himarty
My assumption is that if not for the NEW REGULATIONS, they would have taken the risk in not canceling, and let more flights out of JFK early this afternoon because the sever conditions didn't start when scheduled. (Highlighting mine)
If that's true, let all of us affected thank Kate Hanni for saving us (and adding hours and days to our trips)!

Last edited by Dallas49er; Dec 26, 2010 at 10:07 pm
Old Dec 26, 2010, 10:56 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Changes, including a very good one: Original inventory required? NO

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.