Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Weather: Northeast travel delays / waivers (Dec 26 - 30, 2010)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2010, 12:06 pm

Programs: AA PPro, 1MM
Originally Posted by troyb
Agent at ORD AC told me all LGA flights for rest of the day have been canceled anyway.

Only two options to NYC left are to EWR. I'm guessing those will get canceled too and am considering just calling it quits and heading to hotel now.
From FAA:

Due to SNOW-SEE NOTAMS, the La Guardia Airport (LGA) was closed as of Dec 27 at 02:00 PM EST. The date/time when the airport is expected to reopen is Dec 28 at 04:00 AM EST.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 12:29 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, AA LTP 2MM
Originally Posted by progapanda
Local news (WNBC?) has a reporter at LGA who just claimed no operations until tomorrow morning, i.e. AM Tuesday.
they actually said AA canceled its entire LGA schedule on Tuesday. I had a flight today, first leg of an award trip...all I can say is lotsa luck rebooking anything, anywhere this week...and that's if you're EXP and get through.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 12:31 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, AAdvantage
Just rode the E train an hour ago from Penn Station. The train is only running to Queens Plaza so no way to get to JFK on the E train right now. Maybe later, but judging by the unplowed streets and avenues in Times Square, I wouldn't be optimistic.

We were able to get on an LAX-IAD red-eye. I am so thankful because our backup option was to go to ORD. I bought Acela tickets online at 7 am to get home to NYC. Regular Amtrak trains were sold out until 5 pm and even Acela tickets were selling out in the 5 minutes I took to decide on my train time.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 12:43 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, AA LTP 2MM
A big part of the problem is the continued forecasts of wind gusts up to 50+ MPH and sustained winds of 20-30MPH....at BEST those winds delay flights...combined with the snow and rest of it, don't count on things being back to speed soon.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 12:45 pm

Programs: AA PP, DL Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by sent
We were able to get on an LAX-IAD red-eye. I am so thankful because our backup option was to go to ORD. I bought Acela tickets online at 7 am to get home to NYC. Regular Amtrak trains were sold out until 5 pm and even Acela tickets were selling out in the 5 minutes I took to decide on my train time.
I was on the LAX-IAD redeye last night as well, that flight was packed to the gills with people from the two earlier cancelled LAX-IAD flights AND all the cancelled JFK passengers.

American really should have found a way to either operate an extra redeye section or upgrade last night's flight to a 763 or 757.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 2:11 pm

I was supposed to go out of Boston Logan this morning, got cancelled on Christmas. I rebooked for yesterday at 5:30, got nervous and changed that to 4:05 pm . . . was cancelled anyways.

Because they would not be able to get me out to CA until Friday, I called and asked for a refund, which the Exec Plat desk processed. I know they that the refund can take up to 3 weeks . . . what's been other people's experience in waiting for a refund? Does it normally take longer than 3 weeks?
Old Dec 27, 2010, 2:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
My refunds took about 5 days on average (only had a handful).
Old Dec 27, 2010, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by demkr
My refunds took about 5 days on average (only had a handful).
That's been the standard for me as well. However, when processing my refunds yesterday, the EXP agent warned me that the combination of the holidays + European snow storms + NE Blizzard would likely = a slightly longer time.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 4:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat, SPG Plat/LT Plat, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, MR Silver
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9630/5.0.0.975 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Flights to NYC for tomorrow AM are now getting cancelled.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 5:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
What struck me as odd is AA 131 LHR-JFK had an approx on time departure today (12/27) around noon EST- hours before there was any clarity on what the story would be with JFK this evening.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by troyb
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9630/5.0.0.975 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Flights to NYC for tomorrow AM are now getting cancelled.

Looks like tonight's red-eyes from California are departing (after 9pm) in order to have a few aircraft on the ground to operate tomorrow morning's JFK-LAX/SFO departures after 10am. But early morning NYC-Cali flights are canceled (no planes at JFK to operate them).

Looks like the same for Florida....no JFK/LGA-MIA flights operating before about 10am, with the exception of AA 1061 JFK-MIA which is actually operating (probably because it uses a 762 which will have just arrived as one of the red-eyes from Cali).
Old Dec 27, 2010, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pauleeepaul
What struck me as odd is AA 131 LHR-JFK had an approx on time departure today (12/27) around noon EST- hours before there was any clarity on what the story would be with JFK this evening.

Because at the time it took off from LHR (12pm EST), the estimated time that JFK would reopen was posted as 4pm EST. During the time the flight was in the air, the reopening time was changed to 6pm EST, but it didn't matter because the flight's ETA was 7:30pm EST.

I suspect that AA Ops is trying as hard as it can to get aircraft back to the NYC airports ASAP in order to start dealing with the backlog.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by pauleeepaul
And yet, 115, 105, and 131, all LHR-JFK on 12/28 have been canceled.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 5:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Odder still is AA is quoted as saying 70 flights cancelled for tomorrow (Tuesday), "but that number could fall depending on conditions." How do you uncancel a flight? What are the ramifications on pax who took action based on the initial cancellation?

http://blogs.star-telegram.com/sky_t...l-tuesday.html
Old Dec 27, 2010, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bdemaria
And yet, 131 on 12/28 has been canceled.

That's because no JFK-LHR flights have gone today, so there are no aircraft at LHR with which to operate return flights. The flights that ARE operating are most likely using aircraft that arrived at LHR yesterday and have been stranded since then.

Looks like the only JFK-LHR flight that is still possible for today (12/27) is AA 104, delayed until 8:30pm EST. Let's hope it manages to operate! One more JFK-LHR departure means one more bird available to operate LHR-JFK flights!

(unless AA decides to fly in an extra 772 in from another hub, but that's not very likely)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.