Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Weather: Northeast travel delays / waivers (Dec 26 - 30, 2010)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2010, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
NE Policy #2 now posted

Here's the NE Weather Policy #2. Not surprising that the policy be extended, given that JFK and LGA are closed until mid to late afternoon.

Information is current as of December 27

If you are traveling to/from/through:

Boston,MA (BOS)
Hartford, CT (BDL)
New York, NY(JFK/LGA/EWR)
Philadelphia, PA (PHL)
Washington,DC (BWI/IAD/DCA)

On the following date: December 27-28, 2010

And your ticket was issued no later than: December 26, 2010

You may begin travel as late as: December 27, 2010 - January 1, 2011

Original inventory required? No

One ticketed change is allowed with no penalty.

To change travel dates, contact our Reservations personnel at 1-800-433-7300 within the United States or Canada. If you are calling from outside the United States or Canada, please check our Worldwide Reservations Numbers page.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 6:40 am
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Just updated on ATC delay page. All 3 NY airports are closed until 4pm today.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 6:45 am

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Originally Posted by pauleeepaul
The runways are generally ok.
Ok- I blew it.

Good luck to all in transit.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 6:46 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Flew AA45 CDG-JFK yesterday (12/26) and were just able to make it into JFK. We were fortunate as the later flight (AA121) was cancelled; was upgraded to J after settling into 31H to accomodate AA121 passengers.

After landing at JFK it looked completely miserable out, the only planes I saw active on the ramp were 777s. There weren't too many taxis at T8, and the roads were a mess (scariest taxi ride into the city I've ever had). Grateful to have safely made it back home though.

Service in J was excellent, no surprises there.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 6:55 am

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Originally Posted by Joncorde
was upgraded to J after settling into 31H to accomodate AA121 passengers.
Good to see they didn't take the easy way out ^
Old Dec 27, 2010, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Current airport closures 27 dec 10, 1013 est

Due to SNOW/CLSD UFA-SEE CURRENT NOTAMS, the John F Kennedy International Airport (JFK) was closed as of Dec 26 at 08:17 PM EST. The date/time when the airport is expected to reopen is not known.

Due to SNOW, the Atlantic City International Airport (ACY) was closed as of Dec 27 at 08:00 AM EST. The date/time when the airport is expected to reopen is Dec 27 at 12:00 PM EST.

Due to SNOW-SEE NOTAMS, the CDW airport was closed as of Dec 26 at 06:00 UTC. The date/time when the airport is expected to reopen is not known.

Due to SNOW/CLSD UFA-SEE CURRENT NOTAMS, the Newark International Airport (EWR) was closed as of Dec 26 at 10:03 PM EST. The date/time when the airport is expected to reopen is not known.

Due to SNOW, the Tweed-New Haven Airport (HVN) was closed as of Dec 26 at 07:01 PM EST. The date/time when the airport is expected to reopen is Dec 27 at 06:59 PM EST.

Due to SNOW, the Long Island Mac Arthur Airport (ISP) was closed as of Dec 27 at 08:00 AM EST. The date/time when the airport is expected to reopen is Dec 27 at 01:00 PM EST.

Due to SNOW/CLSD UFA-SEE CURRENT NOTAMS, the La Guardia Airport (LGA) was closed as of Dec 27 at 04:00 AM EST. The date/time when the airport is expected to reopen is not known.

Due to SNOW/CLSD UFA-SEE CURRENT NOTAMS, the MMU airport was closed as of Dec 27 at 00:01 UTC. The date/time when the airport is expected to reopen is not known.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 9:49 am

Has anyone tried to get to JFK today from the city? Any updates on roads, rails etc options? On a night flight tonight to South America. Fingers crossed things are ok by then. Just trying to figure out my best bet to get to the terminal.

Is AirTrain open?
Old Dec 27, 2010, 9:59 am

Programs: Kettle Class
CityFlyerNYC: LIRR service is currently suspended and MTA is reporting significant issues with subway service too. Even if the JFK Airtrain is running, getting to Jamaica might be an issue. In any case, the local news reported the EWR Airtrain was out of operation. The airports are closed anyway, so that makes sense.

You might want to subscribe to the PA's Info-Alert service. It supposedly lets you know if there are interruptions in Airtrain service: http://www.airportinfoalerts.com/

I'm scheduled to fly down to GRU tonight myself. I'm not keeping my hopes high though.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 10:08 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat, SPG Plat/LT Plat, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, MR Silver
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9630/5.0.0.975 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Originally Posted by CityFlyerNYC
Has anyone tried to get to JFK today from the city? Any updates on roads, rails etc options? On a night flight tonight to South America. Fingers crossed things are ok by then. Just trying to figure out my best bet to get to the terminal.

Is AirTrain open?
Also very interested in this. May have to attempt a Newark - Penn St. - JFK train trip this evening, if I can get out of ORD.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
The issue of public transportation, esp, the JFK Air Train and other options to the airport, etc... is being discussed/reported on pretty often in the New York City Blizzard thread
Old Dec 27, 2010, 10:25 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Please help keep the focus of this thread on WEATHER and DELAYS / CANCELLATIONS in NE airports affecting AA, making it easier for fellow members to see what is going on.

Compensation questions will be / have been moved to the appropriate thread.Thanks! / Moderator
Old Dec 27, 2010, 11:35 am

Road conditions in town look to be improving in the city. JFK / LGA / EWR are now saying 6pm opening time.

Staying hopeful I get out tonight via the roads. Sure JFK will be a zoo.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 11:58 am

Programs: AA EXP/CK, UA1K
I believe that JFK and EWR are now estimated to open at 6:00 and LGA is "unknown".

I'm stuck in Chicago trying to get to NYC. Back-up options 1 and 2 have already cancelled. The good people at CK have me on a Wednesday morning ORD-LGA flight, which they said was the last seat available Wednesday. One call to CK got routed to the International AAdvantage desk. That agent checked all options for Tuesday, including JetBlue and fairly close airports. The only option was one seat tonight on an AE flight to Philly. This is one situation where I rather wait than risk a flight + rail option.

Looks like its (obviously) going to take a long time for the system to get back to normal. Best of luck to everyone trying to get into or out of NYC.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 11:59 am

Programs: Kettle Class
Local news (WNBC?) has a reporter at LGA who just claimed no operations until tomorrow morning, i.e. AM Tuesday.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 12:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat, SPG Plat/LT Plat, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, MR Silver
Originally Posted by progapanda
Local news (WNBC?) has a reporter at LGA who just claimed no operations until tomorrow morning, i.e. AM Tuesday.
Agent at ORD AC told me all LGA flights for rest of the day have been canceled anyway.

Only two options to NYC left are to EWR. I'm guessing those will get canceled too and am considering just calling it quits and heading to hotel now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.