Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

AA "de-preferenced" by Expedia - "suspension" now lifted April 4, 2011

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA "de-preferenced" by Expedia - "suspension" now lifted April 4, 2011

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2011, 3:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Wasn't AA's use of Sabre supposed to be phased out by going onto HP Jetstream anyway?
Old Jan 6, 2011, 5:25 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Originally Posted by kebosabi
Wasn't AA's use of Sabre supposed to be phased out by going onto HP Jetstream anyway?
Only on the Departure Control System (airport side) side of things such as check-in, load balancing etc.

Reservations continue to be hosted in AA's own partition of Sabre.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 5:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
Originally Posted by daniellam
Only on the Departure Control System (airport side) side of things such as check-in, load balancing etc.

Reservations continue to be hosted in AA's own partition of Sabre.
This is not true. The GDS and Reservations/Departure control are completely different issues and different contracts. The HP agreement is for both reservations and departure control etc. However, this will take years to implement and there will not be a switch over for a while yet to the HP platform since it's a new ground up development.

Sabre continues to host AA reservations for now. The GDS distribution contract is a seperate issue. This hosting agreement for res is now on a year to year basis.

Ironically, AA res is hosted in the travel agency GDS partition (UO) due to the long AA legacy. As part of the spin off of Sabre, AA get's hosted reservations/departure control for a low cost. The essentially pay for any enhancements to the res system and pay HP ( formally EDS) for any infrastructure charges since Sabre contracted out the network and hardware to EDS.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 9:31 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
Well, AA has been a preferred carrier for my company for years but now they are no longer showing up on our online booking tool. I just had to book a trip LAX-JFK for Monday and I'm on Delta

I really hope that they get it resolved soon since I'll be booking several trips to Latin America in the near future and I want to be able to requal for EXP
Old Jan 7, 2011, 10:17 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Premier Plat, Alaska MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by Redhead
Well, AA has been a preferred carrier for my company for years but now they are no longer showing up on our online booking tool. I just had to book a trip LAX-JFK for Monday and I'm on Delta

I really hope that they get it resolved soon since I'll be booking several trips to Latin America in the near future and I want to be able to requal for EXP
Worst case, book on a OneWorld partner to latin america and get the AA miles.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 12:26 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by globalguy
Another example of AA greediness. The airline industry is finally on the cusp of some modicum of propsperity (I use that term loosely). And what does AA do? Make it harder for customers to buy their product. The emails have been flying today in my company about what this means, as several of us are heavy AA users. One has approached CO/UA about a status match and will move if he gets it.
AA seems to have thought this was the perfect time to strike. Given the need of management managing in line with meeting quarter-to-quarter and year-over-year financial reporting expectations, this may well be one of the better moments for AA to try to pull off such a stunt.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 12:40 pm

Here's what one article thinks is going to happen:

link

I disagree with the analogy they use with Google, Facebook, AOL, Yahoo, but I understand the point he's trying to make.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GUWonder
AA seems to have thought this was the perfect time to strike. Given the need of management managing in line with meeting quarter-to-quarter and year-over-year financial reporting expectations, this may well be one of the better moments for AA to try to pull off such a stunt.
As a shareholder (I own 1 share! ) I just wished management stopped "meeting quarter-to-quarter and year-over-year financial reporting expectations" and focused on long term value creation instead.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 1:04 pm

Programs: BAEC redundant Bronze, AAdvantage Lifetime PLT, CO, WN, B6
Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
Here's what one article thinks is going to happen:

link

I disagree with the analogy they use with Google, Facebook, AOL, Yahoo, but I understand the point he's trying to make.
He writes:

Of course, travel websites do provide two important functions: helping customers compare prices and combining services from different airlines (for example, using one airline to get to a destination and using another one to return).

Those two functions, however, may be better (and more cheaply) performed by travel search engines like Kayak.com or some Smartphone app that has platform-like qualities.
Forgive me for being dense. I can see kayak, ITA etc. helping with price comparison, but if this trend is carried to it's logical conclusion, won't the options for combining travel on carriers in two alliances be almost eliminated?
Old Jan 7, 2011, 1:08 pm

Programs: BAEC redundant Bronze, AAdvantage Lifetime PLT, CO, WN, B6
Originally Posted by hillrider
As a shareholder (I own 1 share! ) I just wished management stopped "meeting quarter-to-quarter and year-over-year financial reporting expectations" and focused on long term value creation instead.
Why would AA want to buck the trend? Long term value & dividends are so "last century" - modern man creates value from tradng without breaking sweat. Who needs customers when you can trade baby, trade.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by bernardd
He writes:
Forgive me for being dense. I can see kayak, ITA etc. helping with price comparison, but if this trend is carried to it's logical conclusion, won't the options for combining travel on carriers in two alliances be almost eliminated?
Yeah. I think this writer falls short on several aspects. Yahoo can search just like Google. Isn't FaceBook a portal of some sort? He's basically arguing that people want to do specific customized things instead of going to a site that does everything for you. It's like a step backwards where everyone builds their own wheel.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 1:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Redhead

Don't you have a number you can call? If AA was the preferred carrier for your company and y'all had a corporate contract, that didn't just disappear regardless of GDS issues.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 1:58 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP 2.9MM, Fairmont PC Platinum, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
A nice thing about the recent agreement with BA/IB is that many AA flights are now also BA/IB codeshares....all of which remain visible on Expedia, Orbitz, etc.

Presumably this means I can book a BA/IB codeshare (on AA metal) and still take advantage of AA upgrades, evips, etc. Can anyone confirm?

Last edited by blout1; Jan 8, 2011 at 2:35 am
Old Jan 8, 2011, 2:47 am

You need to book the AA flight...not the codeshare flight to use a eVIP

Originally Posted by blout1
A nice thing about the recent agreement with BA/IB is that many AA flights are now also BA/IB codeshares....all of which remain visible on Expedia, Orbitz, etc.

Presumably this means I can book a BA/IB codeshare (on AA metal) and still take advantage of AA upgrades, evips, etc. Can anyone confirm?
Old Jan 8, 2011, 4:57 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP 2.9MM, Fairmont PC Platinum, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by 777lover
You need to book the AA flight...not the codeshare flight to use a eVIP
Bummer.

For biz customers forced to use corporate booking systems that now exclude AA (such as Orbitz for Business), this approach allows users to book tickets on some AA metal, however....

I wonder if AA might be receptive to waiving the no-eVIP rule for codeshare (AA metal) flights booked on Orbitz, Expedia, etc. It would be the "right" thing to do in response to major customer inconvenience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.