Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

2011 AAdvantage status year repurchase/buyback (released Dec 15, 2010) (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2011 AAdvantage status year repurchase/buyback (released Dec 15, 2010) (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2011, 1:02 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass, American AAdvantage, Hyatt
Originally Posted by mdavies
They generally say it's only available this year, but for several years now, they've offered it.

depends on the cost of the MRs and the total number of miles. MRs get RDM as well as EQM, whereas buyback status gets just the status.
Thanks for the information. Never bought back my status before. Do you receive the same benefits as you would by acquiring your status through actually flying the miles, or is it watered down version of what you had (Like you still get free baggage, but you don't get upgrades for example)?
Old Sep 29, 2011, 1:14 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by cody77
Thanks for the information. Never bought back my status before. Do you receive the same benefits as you would by acquiring your status through actually flying the miles, or is it watered down version of what you had (Like you still get free baggage, but you don't get upgrades for example)?
Same benefits - just as if you actually flew the requisite segments/miles/points.

(Just like lifetime Gold or Platinum - full benefits conferred.)
Old Oct 15, 2011, 2:07 pm

Programs: MP
It looks like I might be a little short of requalifying for Gold this year. I expect to be at about 21k at the end of the year.

Last (this) year my Gold status was giftted (through AA Business program.) If AA decides to offer status buyback program again this year, can I keep my Gold status by paying $409?
Old Oct 15, 2011, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by v1rok
It looks like I might be a little short of requalifying for Gold this year. I expect to be at about 21k at the end of the year.

Last (this) year my Gold status was giftted (through AA Business program.) If AA decides to offer status buyback program again this year, can I keep my Gold status by paying $409?
A few years ago, the buyback offers were explicit that only members who previously earned their status fully could buy back a renewal. It looks like this requirement may have been relaxed in the last year: I had a friend who got platinum on a challenge and was still offered the buyback.

My guess is you would probably be eligible for the buyback, assuming that it is offered this year.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 2:57 pm

Programs: AA ExPLT, Bonvoy Titanium, Amex PLT, Hertz GLD, National EX
Originally Posted by ckpeter
A few years ago, the buyback offers were explicit that only members who previously earned their status fully could buy back a renewal. It looks like this requirement may have been relaxed in the last year: I had a friend who got platinum on a challenge and was still offered the buyback.
+1 I got PLT status in 2010 thanks to a challenge & was offered the "buy back" for 2011.
Old Nov 19, 2011, 2:40 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by cyncyn129
+1 I got PLT status in 2010 thanks to a challenge & was offered the "buy back" for 2011.
Hoping to hear soon if this program will be offered for 2012. I'm going to be very close, possibly around 48k miles, at the end of December. If I'm that close perhaps a mileage run would be more frugal. Either way, it's great to have a forum like this that educates on all the options!^
Old Jan 28, 2012, 7:41 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Please note this thread now obsolete; the 2012 thread with a similar name is the current one to post to.

/Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.