Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

2011 AAdvantage status year repurchase/buyback (released Dec 15, 2010) (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2011 AAdvantage status year repurchase/buyback (released Dec 15, 2010) (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2011, 1:48 pm

Programs: AA Plat / HH Diamond
With business travel done for our company, I've soft landed to Gold.

IMHO, The Plat buyback is worth every penny.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 12:29 pm
k-y

Programs: AS MVP
Originally Posted by robo119
I don't know about platinum, but I qualified last year on a gold challenge and they let me buy back gold for 2011. I went to the link that was listed earlier in this topic yesterday (January 25th).
They had a "renew now" button, so I thought I take a chance and login. Lo and behold it took me to the renewal page, price was calculated for me
($409) and let me buyback.
I had the same experience but flew fewer AA miles so my GLD buyback price is $559.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 7:04 pm

Another plat through challenge able to buy back status

Thanks everyone. After reading this thread, I told my brother-in-law and he was able to buy-back status. Here's hoping that if the link works, the status won't be retracted after the fact!
Old Jan 27, 2011, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
A strange experience. My son made PLT through a challenge in 2008, soft-landed to GLD in 2010, and was offered a buyback this year. I thought you had to have earned your status (as defined) in 2010 to be eligible for the buyback.

Originally Posted by MsEverywhere
I went to the web site today to go through the motions of buyback. It was prepared to accept my buyback if I had provided CC#.

So it appears the rep who told me I'm eligible was correct. I would interpret this to mean that the policy wording would be more precise if it said "available to those who didn't buyback status last year" rather than "only available to those who earned status last year."
Thanks for closing the loop on this. Since they seem to have changed the definition of "earned" they should clean up the language. Last year my son was not offered the buyback because he had earned PLT through a challenge in late 2008. This year he was offered the buyback even though he only flew about 4000 miles in 2009 (soft-landing to GLD) and another 4000 in 2010.

Last edited by vasantn; Jan 27, 2011 at 8:31 pm
Old Jan 27, 2011, 8:30 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by vasantn
A strange experience. My son made PLT through a challenge in 2009, soft-landed to GLD in 2010, and was offered a buyback this year. I thought you had to have earned your status (as defined) in 2010 to be eligible for the buyback.
It's supposed to be that way, but others have posted that they were able to buy back in similar circumstances.

Why doesn't your son join FT and post his experiences here?

Cheers.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 3:04 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, UA 1K, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Platinum Elite, Jetblue Mosaic
Is PLAT buy back worth it?

Here are the facts:
2010 - Platinum
2011 - Did not Requalify (Less than 10,000 Miles flown) and softlanded to Gold.

Upcoming Trip - BOS-ORD-DEL-ORD-BOS (Departing Feb and Returning March) so technically I'll be Platinum one way (Not sure if I get 100% Elite Bonus one way).

So it really worth it buying the PLAT for $769? What should i be thinking of and considering before buying? Any help/suggestions would be very appreciated. Thanks.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 3:37 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by akshitkhanna
Here are the facts:
2010 - Platinum
2011 - Did not Requalify (Less than 10,000 Miles flown) and softlanded to Gold.

Upcoming Trip - BOS-ORD-DEL-ORD-BOS (Departing Feb and Returning March) so technically I'll be Platinum one way (Not sure if I get 100% Elite Bonus one way).

So it really worth it buying the PLAT for $769? What should i be thinking of and considering before buying? Any help/suggestions would be very appreciated. Thanks.
Is lounge access on the way back important to you? Also, what are your travel patterns going to look like this year? If it were me and I had at least one more international trip coming up, I'd do it. Otherwise, I might save the money, especially if you don't foresee requalifying.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 5:48 am

Programs: AA Platinum, UA 1K, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Platinum Elite, Jetblue Mosaic
Originally Posted by CMK10
Is lounge access on the way back important to you? Also, what are your travel patterns going to look like this year? If it were me and I had at least one more international trip coming up, I'd do it. Otherwise, I might save the money, especially if you don't foresee requalifying.
I'm flying j class so I think I would have lounge access irrespective of my AA status. I have 2-3 domestic trips over the next 5 months and possibly another international trip in q3.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 10:38 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Originally Posted by vasantn
A strange experience. My son made PLT through a challenge in 2008, soft-landed to GLD in 2010, and was offered a buyback this year. I thought you had to have earned your status (as defined) in 2010 to be eligible for the buyback.
My daughter had the same offer.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 9:59 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
I also received the offer although I qualified for Platinum via a challenge in late 2009. I haven't decided whether to accept it yet, although it is very tempting to make sure of two more years of status above "lead".
Old Apr 8, 2011, 10:27 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott
Elite Status Buy Back - How Long to Update Status in the System?

Hiya folks!

Long time lurker... first real "thread" post here. I've tried searching the forums as well as reading the FAQs and AA website as well, and though it's possible I've missed this answer, I couldn't find it after looking - so if this is a redundant post - apologies in advance!

So a little background - I was doing 3-4 transatlantic flights a year until 2010, and had maintained Platinum status over the years and that said, I've had tremendous luck requesting and receiving the 25,000/$350 upgrades from coach to business each time I flew (literally every time but once!)

I lost my Platinum status in February and was ok with letting it go, as those flights looked to have stopped and I was only flying domestic. A little later I got the "buy back your status" email from AA and ignored it as I felt it wasn't an issue. Until today.

Just had word that I have to do the LAX-LHR hop next week. (As you can tell, my company is just great with advance warning! )

As such - can anyone say - if I elect to buy back the Platinum status tomorrow (Saturday) will it:

A) Be in place in time to be valid for my flight at the end of the week (and as such allow for the miles bonus, etc?)

and...

B) Will it shift my place in line for the upgrades? I'm fairly confident (and I'm sure some more seasoned FTers can jump in here) that a Saturday flight booked 7 days before departure as a Gold member has about zero chance of getting a pair of upgrades... however if I was the "last" Platinum member in the list for upgrades, there still might be a chance for the two to go through (assuming I processed ahead of all the Golds?)
((in fact - would I process ahead of the Golds assuming the Platinum status updates before departure?!?))

Thoughts? Advice?

Cheers in advance for the help!
Old Apr 8, 2011, 10:34 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Merged with the existing thread discussing 2011 buyback. /Moderator

I don't have experiences re: how long it takes, but I did find some buried in the Terms and Conditions of the buyback offer.

Link to T&C: https://aaelite.points.com/html/terms.html

You must complete your payment of the renewal fee, in addition to any applicable taxes and credit card processing fees, between January 25, 2011 and April 30, 2011. Elite status renewals will not be authorized retroactively if the payment is not completed before the Member's current status expires. Elite status renewals shall be effective as of March 1, 2011 unless the payment is completed after such date, in which case the renewal shall be effective five business days after the payment is completed. New elite status credentials will be mailed to you within 3-5 weeks of your completion of payment for the elite status renewal.
(underlining is mine)

So 5 business days would put you right at the end of next week, which is cutting it pretty darn close.

As for the second part of your query... Let's assume that your status did change in time. You'd want to call AA and have them manually update your PNR with the new status. (It probably won't automatically update; the easiest way seems to be to have the AAgent remove your AAdvantage number from your record and just re-add it; now your new status will show up.) There's always a chance that the upgrade system has already cleared Golds off the waitlist - ya never know. But if you're on the airport upgrade waitlist, you'll jump above the Golds. Remember, for intl upgrades on the waitlist, check-in time is what determines your spot within your elite level - not the requested timestamp! (The upgrade requested timestamp is used to determine your spot within your elite level BEFORE the upgrade list moves over to airport control.)

Last edited by JY1024; Apr 8, 2011 at 10:42 pm Reason: added thoughts on second query
Old Apr 8, 2011, 10:40 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott
Hi JY1024,

Thanks! (And sorry) - I read this thread but didn't see the answer... didn't occur to me I should put the post in here...

I missed the T&C so thanks for pointing that out - guess I better buy it back tonight!

Cheers!
Old Apr 8, 2011, 10:47 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Parkguy
Thanks! (And sorry) - I read this thread but didn't see the answer... didn't occur to me I should put the post in here...
And now if others have the same question and find this thread, they'll see your query and subsequent answers/responses.

I didn't know know there were detailed T&Cs associated with this offer, either! Now that we've found them, I've also added that link to the mod note in the first post for others who may stumble upon this thread. /Moderator
Old Apr 20, 2011, 10:23 am

Downgraded from Platinum to Gold and Offered $739 to buy plat

Hi,

I have been downgraded from Platinum to Gold just last month and just got an email that they are offering a platinum upgrade for $739 is it even worth?

I flew 20 flights in 2010 and 6 flights this year Info below

do any of you have any idea or options ? to get to platinum I expect to travel this year the same as last year.. should I take challenge or pay up $739 it seems too high..

pl. advise

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.