Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

2011 AAdvantage status year repurchase/buyback (released Dec 15, 2010) (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2011 AAdvantage status year repurchase/buyback (released Dec 15, 2010) (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2010, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by Ritz
Unless the agent knows something not stated in the policy.
You're not serious, are you? That would be extremely unusual, not to mention unlikely.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by vasantn
You're not serious, are you? That would be extremely unusual, not to mention unlikely.
Sure, why not? Unusual and unlikely don't negate that MsEverywhere received information from an AA CS agent that said she can buyback her status:

Originally Posted by MsEverywhere
This year I had a soft landing to Plat, and a friend had a soft landing to Gold. Since we didn't technically "earn" our 2010 status, I called AAdvantage CS to see if we qualify for the buyback. The rep I spoke with said Yes.

I choose not to doubt the veracity of the rep's knowledge. No more, no less.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sure, why not? Unusual and unlikely don't negate that MsEverywhere received information from an AA CS agent that said she can buyback her status:
And it has been well-established here that the collective FT knowledge is usually much more reliable that the pronouncements of a solitary agent.

I choose not to doubt the veracity of the rep's knowledge. No more, no less.
Your privilege, of course. But I would be shocked if the agent turned out to be correct. IMO that is extremely unlikely and I would counsel MsEverywhere's friend not to count on being offered the buyback opportunity. Just my two cents.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 11:26 pm

Programs: AA Plat , SPG Plat/Lifetime Gold, HiltonHonors, United Milage Plus
Even though I flew a decent amount, serious back issues will keep me from keeping Plat for 2011 (only 31000 EQMs this year). Even though I'm likely to have surgery in Q1, and a fairly long recovery in 2011, I'm planning on rebuying Plat; I'm not likely to fly enough in 2011 to even maintain Gold, so I want to be able to have a soft landing to Gold in 2012, so I can work my way back up to Plat (or at least maintain Gold) for 2013. If I just drop to Gold this year, I'll lose status altogether by 2012, and that is a fate too horrible to contemplate.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 3:25 pm

Programs: AAdvantage PLT (trying to find away to EXP, SPG Gold
Whew!

Originally Posted by WestLA-FF

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MODERATOR'S NOTE

The 2011 status buy back offer has been posted here on aa.com (Dec 15, 2010).

In essence (extracted and annotated):

AAdvantage Platinum:
* $619 if member has completed 40,000 (Elite Qualifying) Miles or Points or 48 Segments (during C/Y 2010)
* $769 if member has completed less than (EQ) 40,000 Miles and Points and less than 48 Segments (during C/Y 2010)

AAdvantage Gold:
* $409 if member has completed 20,000 (Elite Qualifying) Miles or Points or 24 Segments (during C/Y 2010)
* $559 if member has completed less than (EQ) 20,000 Miles and Points and less than 24 Segments (during C/Y 2010)

Who's Eligible
All current AAdvantage Platinum and AAdvantage Gold members who earned their 2010 elite status* are eligible to participate in this offer provided they have flown at least one elite qualifying segment during 2010. Members who participated in the 2010 renewal offer are not eligible to extend their status for the 2011 membership year.

**To earn 2010 AAdvantage Gold status, a member must have accrued 25,000 elite qualifying miles or points or flown 30 qualifying segments in 2009. To earn 2010 AAdvantage Platinum status, a member must have accrued 50,000 elite qualifying miles or points or flown 60 qualifying segments in 2009. (If one purchased status last year through a buy back offer, one is ineligible to repeat status renewal with this offer.)
Follow the link provided above for further information and instructions on buying status back for the status year March 1 2011 - Feb 29, 2012 - the offer will be available to qualified AAdvantage members January 26, 2011, through April 30, 2011.

AA Forum Co-Moderators
Thank you AA! I was a well over 5k from re-qualifying and there was no way for me to get any flying back into my schedule so this buy back is just what I need.

The CC will be ready to rock on 01/26/2011!
Old Dec 22, 2010, 9:35 am

Programs: AA ExPLT, Bonvoy Titanium, Amex PLT, Hertz GLD, National EX
Who's Eligible?

If I made platinum status this year due to a challenge, would I be eligible to buy back my status for 2011? The ** part of the "who's eligible" mentions those who bought status wouldn't be eligible, but doesn't mention challenges. Hmm... Guess I'll be anxiously awaiting my link on Jan 26!
Old Dec 22, 2010, 9:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA 2 MM Plt, *wood Plt
Originally Posted by cyncyn129
If I made platinum status this year due to a challenge, would I be eligible to buy back my status for 2011? The ** part of the "who's eligible" mentions those who bought status wouldn't be eligible, but doesn't mention challenges. Hmm... Guess I'll be anxiously awaiting my link on Jan 26!
Or, you can give a quick call to the PLT number and ask if you are eligible.
Old Dec 22, 2010, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No, you would not.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 2:26 pm

Programs: SPG PLT, AA EXP
I'm assuming EXP's who didn't requalify will be given the opportunity to "buy" Platinum status this year?

I didn't fly nearly enough to qualify for EXP again this year. I logged in today and my status still shows as EXP online but I assume that'll change after Feb 28th?
Old Jan 18, 2011, 2:51 pm

Programs: AA Plat/1 MM, Marriott Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by TonySCV
I'm assuming EXP's who didn't requalify will be given the opportunity to "buy" Platinum status this year?

I didn't fly nearly enough to qualify for EXP again this year. I logged in today and my status still shows as EXP online but I assume that'll change after Feb 28th?
The "soft" landing should ensure you do not have to buy back any status to remain Platinum for the next year
Old Jan 26, 2011, 6:02 am

Programs: AA
I don't know about platinum, but I qualified last year on a gold challenge and they let me buy back gold for 2011. I went to the link that was listed earlier in this topic yesterday (January 25th).
They had a "renew now" button, so I thought I take a chance and login. Lo and behold it took me to the renewal page, price was calculated for me
($409) and let me buyback.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 8:46 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by robo119
I don't know about platinum, but I qualified last year on a gold challenge and they let me buy back gold for 2011. I went to the link that was listed earlier in this topic yesterday (January 25th).
They had a "renew now" button, so I thought I take a chance and login. Lo and behold it took me to the renewal page, price was calculated for me
($409) and let me buyback.
Welcome to FlyerTalk and the AA forum, robo119!

Thanks for finding this thread and reporting your experience! ^
Old Jan 26, 2011, 9:09 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM/AC; UA Silver; AS; DL; Marriott LTT; National Car Elite
Originally Posted by vasantn
Your privilege, of course. But I would be shocked if the agent turned out to be correct. IMO that is extremely unlikely and I would counsel MsEverywhere's friend not to count on being offered the buyback opportunity. Just my two cents.
I went to the web site today to go through the motions of buyback. It was prepared to accept my buyback if I had provided CC#.

So it appears the rep who told me I'm eligible was correct. I would interpret this to mean that the policy wording would be more precise if it said "available to those who didn't buyback status last year" rather than "only available to those who earned status last year."
Old Jan 26, 2011, 9:46 am

Programs: AA ExPLT, Bonvoy Titanium, Amex PLT, Hertz GLD, National EX
Thumbs up Data Point - PLT w/ challenge

Another data point...

I made PLT in 2010 thanks to a challenge. My year end:

YTD Elite Qualifying Points 22,082
YTD Elite Qualifying Miles 30,511
YTD Elite Qualifying Segments 19

I just checked the "Exclusive Offer for AAdvantage Elite Status Members" webpage and had the "renew now!" button. Went through the process and was able to buy PLT status for $769.00. I will now have PLT valid through Feb 29, 2012.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 11:40 am

Programs: HHonors, A'Club, SPG, Marriott, Priority Club, Hyatt, UA mileage Plus, Miles & More, AAdvantage
Any taxes added to the renewal amount?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.