Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA, BA and IB Announce Better Deal for Trans-Atlantic Flyers

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2010, 10:08 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Thanks for the answers, Stephen; that's very helpful.

Originally Posted by AmericanAirlines
- Yes this means if you’re flying first or business between TPA and ORD you can check three bags free.

- If you have received a confirmed upgrade to a Premium cabin prior to your initial bag check-in, then you will receive the increased allowance of 3 bags, with the heavy charge waived if any of the pieces are 50-70lbs. If you, however, are unable to confirm the upgrade prior to your initial bag check-in, and are only placed on a standby upgrade list, then you will only be eligible for the standard baggage allowance dependant on your frequent flier status and/or ticket.

- If you are not eligible for the increased allowance at initial bag check-in, AA will not be processing refunds if you are upgraded from a waitlist at the gate.

- At this time, no changes to the elite frequent flier baggage allowances have been made.

- Yes, for long-haul premium cabin customers traveling on AA/BA/IB customers can now check three bags and yes the heavy bag charge For bags weighing between 50 and 70 Lbs will be waived.

Happy to answer any more questions you have!!

Stephen @ AA
Old Oct 7, 2010, 10:40 am

Programs: AA Gold, UA Premier, Onepass Platinum, Intercontinental Platinum, Marriott Silver
What about ALL Translatlantic flights flown by BA or IB to Europe?

I ask because I am now based in PTY and would like to take PTY-MAD on IB but if I do not get full mileage, i would consider going on another airline.

Good to see that AA has Flyertalk presence now!
Old Oct 7, 2010, 11:12 am
Company Representative - American Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by hillrider
Stephen,

Thanks for attempting to reply to my question; however, I may not have made myself clear.

Let me give you a real life example. On SFO-ROM, AA has a holiday business class fare, IRHOL1SL. The rules specifically say:
Code:
04.FLIGHT APPLICATION  
   THE FARE COMPONENT MUST NOT BE ON                            
       ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING                             
           AA FLIGHTS 6125 THROUGH 6225.
Since the AA codeshare for the SFO-LRH BA-operated flights are 6187 and 6189, it follows that one cannot fly BA on this fare; what this means is that you cannot "choose the AA operated flight over to the UK and for the return flight you could choose a BA operated flight" (quoting you) because the fare rules specifically prohibit you from doing so.

Can you please pass this question on to someone else? My original question was:

Thanks again and a huge welcome on FT. And please take many comments here lightly and not personally!
Thanks very much to you and everyone else for the welcoming. We really enjoy interacting with all of you and helping out with your questions!

Unfortunately, I cannot give out information about when we are going to change fares. Stay tuned, though!
Old Oct 7, 2010, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Unfortunately, I cannot give out information about when we are going to change fares. Stay tuned, though!
OK. Sounds like fare structures are being changed to eliminate the prohibition on codeshares, but the exact date of the change cannot be released until it is finalized. It would appear wise to hold off on booking tickets that include codeshares, as the lower fares that prohibit codeshares may soon lose that restriction.

Thanks, Stephen!
Old Oct 7, 2010, 12:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM HHonors Diamond
Thanks very much to you and everyone else for the welcoming. We really enjoy interacting with all of you and helping out with your questions!

What about Q3 earnings?
Old Oct 7, 2010, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by diaspora04
What about Q3 earnings?
Do you want to know when they will release Q3 earnings? I'm sure he can find that out for you.
Old Oct 7, 2010, 3:21 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Amazing that with Star Gold I get 3x70lb. bags on every Star carrier even in coach, yet OW is unable to come up with anything even remotely competitive.
Old Oct 7, 2010, 5:21 pm

Programs: AA - EXP, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, UK - Gold
Originally Posted by GUWonder
This AA baggage fee waiver lottery sounds increasingly like the DL baggage fee waiver lottery -- even then this change is an improvement for AA customers over what was to be had earlier this year (and for quite some time prior) by AA customers.

I'm curious if BA is going to start providing us AA EXPs and Plats with the same free baggage allowance that BA provides BA Silvers and Golds. As of yesterday, BA still doesn't seem to care about treating AA EXPs and Plats the same as BA Silvers and Golds when it comes to baggage allowance (and a variety of other at the airport benefits). [Fortunately, AA treats BA Silvers and Golds the same as AA EXPs and Plats when it comes to free baggage allowance for a given cabin]. Will there be a harmonization in this area as well? [I'm just hoping that this doesn't turn out to be like the dysfunctional arrangement that DL elites have to endure when dealing with AF-KL.]

On a side-note, I found the use of "takes effect" for something that has already taken effect to be interesting. Or is the date it "takes effect" October 1st, 2011? I'm going with 2010 and a cut & paste not being revised.
Contrasting experience for me really...numerous LHR-BOM RT and LHR-MAN flights over last few years (all as AA EXP) and I was never charged extra for bags...infact last year on LHR-BOM i had booked full fare Y and had 4 bags to take (moving etc...) and was ready to pay...but the Check-in agent just took all 4 bags for free (she said since i was emerald..) and even op-up'd me to F..round trip ...i know the op-up to F is completly out of order...but my dad (AA EXP) has experience similar wrt bags with BA last year when they moved back...they do treat AA EXP's quite well in my opinion...
Old Oct 7, 2010, 6:33 pm

It's all on aa.com, and you will not be happy with Iberia's AAdvantage miles earning unless you connect via the USA or Mexico or use the AA codeshare.

Iberia

BA is a better deal, but fare codes not listed earn - ˇnada!

British Airways

Originally Posted by bigbird090
What about ALL Translatlantic flights flown by BA or IB to Europe?

I ask because I am now based in PTY and would like to take PTY-MAD on IB but if I do not get full mileage, i would consider going on another airline.

Good to see that AA has Flyertalk presence now!
Old Oct 7, 2010, 6:37 pm

From this flyer's perspective, I wonder how many actually check in with three seventy lb / 32 kg bags? Even with my dive gear, one (or possibly two) 50 lb bags more than suffice, so I wonder if it's mostly window dressing. Of course, we are deficient in so many ways - maybe we will soon have oneworld blocking.

Originally Posted by ctownflyer
Amazing that with Star Gold I get 3x70lb. bags on every Star carrier even in coach, yet OW is unable to come up with anything even remotely competitive.
Old Oct 7, 2010, 7:34 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by JDiver
From this flyer's perspective, I wonder how many actually check in with three seventy lb / 32 kg bags? Even with my dive gear, one (or possibly two) 50 lb bags more than suffice, so I wonder if it's mostly window dressing. Of course, we are deficient in so many ways - maybe we will soon have oneworld blocking.
On certain trips I have between 4 and 6 checked boxes which can run 50+ lbs. LH, LX, SQ, CX, BA (the main carriers I use) have never charged me extra (flying in F or J). AA used to be very good until they did away with "favors and waivers" and the pendulum swung to the other end.

While I agree it is a small number of people who have this type of checked luggage, I would also say that I don't think it is not unusual at BA F check-in at LHR or JFK, CX in HKG or the LH FCT in FRA to see a couple that look like they are going on a trans-Atlantic voyage with literally a dozen pieces of Louis Vuitton luggage stacked up. A couple from LA at the FCT in FRA told me they were returning from a month at their home in the South of France in one case. In another case I've seen literally a plane full of huge valet trunks that was part of an on location fashion shoot for a magazine.
Old Oct 7, 2010, 8:28 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by JDiver
3 bags of 51-70 lbs for Star Alliance Golds are being handled daily at the US ports of entry/exit used by Star Alliance carriers and at various airports being used to feed those US ports of entry/exit. Enough of those bags that the TSA ain't exactly a fan of Star Alliance premium customers where the baggage screening process is out in the open.

"Starnet" blocking isn't applicable to the members of all Star Alliance carrier programs.

So far the government-enabled AA/BA/IB collusion doesn't appear to be as lousy a game for customers as the DL/AF/KL game, but even the DL/AF-KL ugliness took time to become as ugly as it is. I was hoping that AA wouldn't be borrowing so much from the DL playbook, but here we have it.

Last edited by GUWonder; Oct 7, 2010 at 8:36 pm
Old Oct 7, 2010, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
So far the government-enabled AA/BA/IB collusion doesn't appear to be as lousy a game for customers as the DL/AF/KL game, but even the DL/AF-KL ugliness took time to become as ugly as it is. I was hoping that AA wouldn't be borrowing so much from the DL playbook, but here we have it.
I'm curious -- can you be specific re: the "ugliness" of the DL/AF/KL ATI? All I know is that if I were a DL flier (based in NYC), I'd be pretty annoyed that I couldn't upgrade flights to Paris (miles or SWU), since they're all operated by AF.
Old Oct 8, 2010, 6:19 am

Actually, what I would like to see is more coordination and codeshares with Finnair and Air Berlin. Helsinki and Berlin make much better gateway airports that lousy LHR. It is a real plus that the new routes include a way to get to Helsinki without having to go through that pit JFK. The more TATL options we have where we don't have to deal with either JFK or LHR, the worst gateways on each side of the pond, the better.
Old Oct 8, 2010, 6:32 am

Programs: BAEC, HHonors, East Coast Mainline, Sheraton
Originally Posted by bernardd
Oh dear, poor BA, they're going to have to cancel service to SEA, SFO, PHX, DEN, IAH, ATL, TPA, MCO, PHL, IAD, DWI, and maybe BOS then.

The whole point is BA flies to points is the US that are not served by AA non-stops and AA flies to points in Europe that are not served by BA non-stops - think FRA, CDG, BRU, MAN, MAD, BCN, MXP, FCO, ZRH and probably others.
Don't be so silly that's not the idea at all. I doubt AA or BA are going to cancel routes just because of the JV if anything like we have seen both will start to expand. The whole idea of this JV is cost sharing. MCO and TPA are huge holiday routes operated by BA out of Gatwick mostly filled with point to point Brits of on holiday hence the LGW base.

I am wondering if an AA F class update is coming as it is miles behind BAs new first product now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.