Er......no it's not:

Originally Posted by BingBongBoy
1989 - via LAX:

1998 - via PHX:

2002:
Old Oct 6, 2010, 3:43 pm

Programs: BAEC redundant Bronze, AAdvantage Lifetime PLT, CO, WN, B6
Originally Posted by Tries
and since SAN is not OW hub- BA thinks that a lot of people will make connections at LHR...
Oh dear, poor BA, they're going to have to cancel service to SEA, SFO, PHX, DEN, IAH, ATL, TPA, MCO, PHL, IAD, DWI, and maybe BOS then.

The whole point is BA flies to points is the US that are not served by AA non-stops and AA flies to points in Europe that are not served by BA non-stops - think FRA, CDG, BRU, MAN, MAD, BCN, MXP, FCO, ZRH and probably others.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 3:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
<redacted deleted post>

Actually, you pretty much nailed it in someway: San Diego-Tijuana Airport pedestrian bridge plans underway. Not much room to expand at SAN, plans call for expanding TIJ which straddles near the US border as the new int'l airport to be used by both Tijuanans and San Diegans alike.

I wonder what the cross-border airport will be called? General Abelardo L. Rodríguez-New Lindberg Field International Airport?

Last edited by JDiver; Oct 7, 2010 at 6:24 pm
Old Oct 6, 2010, 3:50 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by AmericanAirlines
While we are harmonising routes and such, and making big changes, can we harmonise the uniforms? My strong vote is for the BA uniform. Including the hat, of course.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Many of the additional codeshares, such as those between the US and UK and the behind-and-beyond markets in the US and Europe, take effect as of Oct. 1 and more are expected to be added in the future.

Hope this helps!

Stephen @ AA
Stephen,

Thanks for attempting to reply to my question; however, I may not have made myself clear.

Let me give you a real life example. On SFO-ROM, AA has a holiday business class fare, IRHOL1SL. The rules specifically say:
Code:
04.FLIGHT APPLICATION  
   THE FARE COMPONENT MUST NOT BE ON                            
       ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING                             
           AA FLIGHTS 6125 THROUGH 6225.
Since the AA codeshare for the SFO-LRH BA-operated flights are 6187 and 6189, it follows that one cannot fly BA on this fare; what this means is that you cannot "choose the AA operated flight over to the UK and for the return flight you could choose a BA operated flight" (quoting you) because the fare rules specifically prohibit you from doing so.

Can you please pass this question on to someone else? My original question was:
currently AA, IB and BA transatlantic fares are separate, different, and often prohibit travel on codeshares (i.e. you cannot book an BA-operated AA transatlantic codeshare on the IRHOL-type AA fares), preventing the mix and match that you cited in your post.

Do you have a date for when unified, identical, mix-match AA/IB/BA transatlantic fares are going to replace today's mish-mash of fares?
Thanks again and a huge welcome on FT. And please take many comments here lightly and not personally!
Old Oct 6, 2010, 4:42 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
I'm a LT member of the AA, CO and DL clubs living near SFO. AA is the only one that does not provide reciprocal lounge agreements with its key partners, i.e. BA/IB/JL. I like the other aspects of the AA product more...please let me go to European lounges so I can move my business from Star Alliance!
Old Oct 6, 2010, 5:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
I'm a LT member of the AA, CO and DL clubs living near SFO. AA is the only one that does not provide reciprocal lounge agreements with its key partners, i.e. BA/IB/JL.
Huh AA does have reciprocal lounge agreements with its OW partners. AA PLT (OW Sapphire) and above can use OW partner lounges throughout the world.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 5:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by kebosabi
Huh AA does have reciprocal lounge agreements with its OW partners. AA PLT (OW Sapphire) and above can use OW partner lounges throughout the world.
Not based on membership of the Admirals club though as I suspect the OP is a Lifetime member without Elite status.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 5:21 pm

According to Portfolio (Hungarian financial news site), AA JFK-BUD to start April 4, 2011 and tickets available starting next Monday: http://portfolio.hu/en/cikkek.tdp?k=2&i=20989

If you want to avoid those YQ surcharges on redeeming award travel on BA/LHR, going through MA/BUD might be a good option soon!
Old Oct 6, 2010, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hillrider
Do you have a date for when unified, identical, mix-match AA/IB/BA transatlantic fares are going to replace today's mish-mash of fares?
I'm curious as well, but I'd be surprised if we got an answer. It's probably proprietary information. He's not going to tell us when they're going to lower fares, or change advance purchase requirements, so why should/would he be able to tell us when the flight applicability rules are going to change?
Old Oct 6, 2010, 5:54 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
SAN-LHR

Regarding the SAN-LHR route on BA just announced...

Originally Posted by skunker
For what it's worth I don't mind the LAX transfer: nicer AC, faster customs, and if you are correct, full F. But, I'm sure BA knows more than I do since there are plenty of pasty Brits on the beaches already.
I am on the other end. I much prefer the SAN-LHR nonstop on BA over SAN-LAX-LHR with AA.

First, I am not going to make it again this year as an EXP, so I will just be a plain Platinum for 2011.

I will not have SWUs and I really have a hard time paying $350 to upgrade my flight from LAX with miles. That BTW, it has never been available as confirmed every time I have tried.

In the past, I would have chosen the SAN-LAX-LHR route just to earn the miles. Now that I will accrue 100% miles on BA, there is even more reason to take this route.

Not sure which Y product is better, but a shorter trip duration + being able to have a full day at work would compensate for it (if AA Y is better, is it?)
Old Oct 6, 2010, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
- If you have received a confirmed upgrade to a Premium cabin prior to your initial bag check-in, then you will receive the increased allowance of 3 bags, with the heavy charge waived if any of the pieces are 50-70lbs. If you, however, are unable to confirm the upgrade prior to your initial bag check-in, and are only placed on a standby upgrade list, then you will only be eligible for the standard baggage allowance dependant on your frequent flier status and/or ticket.

- If you are not eligible for the increased allowance at initial bag check-in, AA will not be processing refunds if you are upgraded from a waitlist at the gate.

Stephen @ AA
Hi, Stephen:

I had a question on the heavy-bag charge waiver. I understand what you are saying about being granted the waiver if your upgrade has cleared. What if you are flying multiple segments, and your first segment has not cleared but your second one has. As an example, if I were flying STL-DFW-OGG, and my DFW-OGG segment has cleared but my STL-DFW has not when I check in, would I be charged the heavy-bag charge or would it be waived? Thanks.

I'm assuming that if the first segment has cleared, you get heavy-bag charges waived regardless of the status of upgrades on succeeding segments.

Last edited by gemac; Oct 6, 2010 at 8:46 pm
Old Oct 7, 2010, 7:17 am

Programs: EXP,EX-CK 2.5mm, now lifetime Platinum, ex-UA1K, Marriott- Platinum, Hertz 5*
Stephen - thanks very much for the additional info on the baggage charges. I checked the appropriate pages on AA.com and could not find the statement that overweight charges are waived in business/first... just that business/first can check 3 bags. AA might want to make this more clear (unless I missed it).
Old Oct 7, 2010, 8:04 am

Programs: I've gone underground!
- Yes this means if you’re flying first or business between TPA and ORD you can check three bags free....
(Rest clipped for sake of space)
Stephen,

Thank you very much for your attempt to answer all of our questions. As I'm sure you've figured out, FTers tend to hyper-analyze the minutiae of policies.

So, more on the luggage.
-Let's say I'm flying FRA-(BA)-LHR-(AA)-ORD. Y from FRA-LHR and F/J from LHR-ORD. Will I pay for 3 bags?
-Let's go the other way. When the bags are rechecked, will BA try to charge me for the bags?

I'm asking because prior to this policy change, these types of scenarios happened and as far as I can tell, official policy was to charge you in one or both instances. However, it was possible to get "one time exceptions" to the contrary.

The other scenario I'm wondering about is:
TPA-DFW-LAX. Let's say you've upgraded only one of those segments. Will the increased allowances apply?

And finally,
LHR-MIA-TPA. LHR-MIA in Y, MIA-TPA in F. Same question. How about the return?

Thanks for your patience and presence!
Old Oct 7, 2010, 9:09 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
This AA baggage fee waiver lottery sounds increasingly like the DL baggage fee waiver lottery -- even then this change is an improvement for AA customers over what was to be had earlier this year (and for quite some time prior) by AA customers.

I'm curious if BA is going to start providing us AA EXPs and Plats with the same free baggage allowance that BA provides BA Silvers and Golds. As of yesterday, BA still doesn't seem to care about treating AA EXPs and Plats the same as BA Silvers and Golds when it comes to baggage allowance (and a variety of other at the airport benefits). [Fortunately, AA treats BA Silvers and Golds the same as AA EXPs and Plats when it comes to free baggage allowance for a given cabin]. Will there be a harmonization in this area as well? [I'm just hoping that this doesn't turn out to be like the dysfunctional arrangement that DL elites have to endure when dealing with AF-KL.]

On a side-note, I found the use of "takes effect" for something that has already taken effect to be interesting. Or is the date it "takes effect" October 1st, 2011? I'm going with 2010 and a cut & paste not being revised.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.