Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA, BA and IB Announce Better Deal for Trans-Atlantic Flyers

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2010, 10:33 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
OTOH, LAX-MAD on an Iberia A340 will be pretty nice, with great connections and, at least in the past, decent fares to boot. Add AA or the IB codeshare from SFO and you get those extra miles (we variably use AA or the IB codeshare SFO-ORD to connect to ORD-MAD, but LAX is so much more convenient, generally bad weather-free, and a longer flight to enjoy some decent vino and a good sleep).

Originally Posted by Xero
I appreciate AA for adding JFK-BUD and ORD-HEL. Finally, the Malev and Finair hubs, previously underutilized by AA, will be put to great use in order to connect to more European and Middle Eastern destinations. This is a great alternative to having to always take BA, which tends to be a bit more pricy because of the fuel surcharges.

Hopefully this route will be a winner and we can see more fights to BUD and HEL from the other AA hubs. These are routes I definitely will see myself on because I prefer flying on AA metal as much as possible because of the upgrades.

But why are we Californians got getting any love? It seems like the 2 new services LAX-MAD and SAN-LHR are neither operated by AA metal. So much for my plan doing SFO-LAX to sneak in some extra miles.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by JDiver
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Moderators are considering dedicating this thread to questions and answers of /by AmericanAirlines. Whether or not that occurs (pending deliberation and consultation by all moderators,) posts that are unwelcoming, hostile, vitriolic, unduly sarcastic, disruptive or otherwise against the FlyerTalk Rules will be summarily deleted - and posters who insist on continuing to post in these veins will be subject to FlyerTalk disciplinary action as detailed in the TOS.
I'll join the others in welcoming AA's official participation on FT, but, without any desire to be unwelcoming, hostile, vitriolic, unduly sarcastic, or disruptive, or otherwise act against the FlyerTalk Rules, I hope it's ok for me to express my sincerest hope and desire that AA's participation on this forum be substantive, as opposed to providing AA with a forum for unpaid advertising.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 11:20 am

Programs: AA PLT 2.7 MM, DL GLD, UA Prem, BW Diamond, PC PLT, HH Diamond
I for one think its highly amusing that as everyone waited with breath baited for a major new AA announcement today, Arpey said in no uncertain words to fans and foes of AA alike (Paraphase follows in quotes). "If you want to fly AA cross the pond in upcoming months you can go to HEL."
Old Oct 6, 2010, 11:32 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Wow, JFK-BUD by AA! That was a long shot route that I speculated and it was more like 50-50 on my list so I’m really surprised.

But I think it’s a good choice. MA’s JFK-BUD route was doing fairly well, it has been flying since the 1993 and it was only cut out in 2007 due to rising fuel costs that MA couldn’t handle. MA is more of a regional carrier of Europe akin to AS, and having no economy of scale to run long-haul routes must’ve hurt them despite that it was a good alternative to get into Europe from NA. It was also a good alternative to JFK-VIE on Austrian for many Europeans living in New York too.

Plus, BUD is currently the closest thing OW has to a Central European hub. It has for long been the underdog of OW which had huge potential for connecting flights to various places in Europe and the Middle East, but the lack of direct NA-BUD for the past few years since MA pulled out hindered that development. Hungary joining Schengen in 2008 is also a big plus allowing Americans more seamless travel and connection into Europe unlike the poorly planned Russian visa fiasco that plagued ORD-DME route. MA does provide better access to destinations like ATH, IST, LCA and TLV avoiding LHR altogether. BUD already has a major renovation underway, so I sincerely hope AA and MA can work together to develop this market on a long term scale without AA pulling out so quickly.

Finally, I think it’ll be a great alternative for AA flyers to redeem AA+MA awards for the sake of avoid paying those YQ surcharges on BA; some people may opt to redeem an award such as xxx-JFK-BUD-TLV using AA+MA instead of xxx-(JFK)-LHR-TLV using AA+BA.

Overall I'm satisfied with AA choosing JFK-BUD from other options available in Europe. Sincerely hope the best for AA and hopefully, expanded relations with MA.

BTW, if MA decides to code-share on AA's new JFK-BUD route, does this make MA also a part of the ATI agreement? I know AY and RJ are also part of this jba as they fly trans-atlantic as well.

Last edited by kebosabi; Oct 6, 2010 at 11:39 am
Old Oct 6, 2010, 11:37 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by kebosabi
Wow, JFK-BUD by AA!

Finally, I think it’ll be a great alternative for AA flyers to redeem AA+MA awards for the sake of avoid paying those YQ surcharges on BA; some people may opt to redeem award such as xxx-JFK-BUD-TLV using AA+MA instead of xx-(JFK)-LHR-TLV using AA+BA.

Overall I'm satisfied with AA choosing JFK-BUD from other options available in Europe. Sincerely hope the best for AA and hopefully, expanded relations with MA.
My thought too. Thanks for pointing it out.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 11:38 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by shadesofgrey1x
"If you want to fly AA cross the pond in upcoming months you can go to HEL."
ROFL; sorry that was just too good.

BTW, am I the only one who smirks at ORD-HEL? Like we didn't know

Last edited by kebosabi; Oct 6, 2010 at 11:45 am
Old Oct 6, 2010, 12:18 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, AA Lifetime Platinum, Delta PM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by shadesofgrey1x
I for one think its highly amusing that as everyone waited with breath baited for a major new AA announcement today, Arpey said in no uncertain words to fans and foes of AA alike (Paraphase follows in quotes). "If you want to fly AA cross the pond in upcoming months you can go to HEL."
"You can go to HEL"

Very funny......ROFL!!
Old Oct 6, 2010, 12:20 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
LHR-SAN??? Wow, never saw that coming. Too bad I'll skip it so that I can upgrade or not pay the YQ on awards. It will be interesting to see what aircraft they use and how long it lasts. (My prediction: 6 months)
Old Oct 6, 2010, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by skunker
LHR-SAN??? Wow, never saw that coming. Too bad I'll skip it so that I can upgrade or not pay the YQ on awards. It will be interesting to see what aircraft they use and how long it lasts. (My prediction: 6 months)
I believe BA did used to fly this route in the past. It remember reading something that it was a sight for planespotters to see a jumbo making that final steep slope to approach on one of the world's most difficult airports.

But then again, I don't see LHR-SAN to have loads that BA wants to wish; SAN-LAX-LHR works fairly fine for most. A route like LHR-HNL using the polar route might've have more potential IMHO.

Last edited by kebosabi; Oct 6, 2010 at 12:36 pm
Old Oct 6, 2010, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by skunker
I think it will do very well.

They are using a three class 777-200, so no FIRST cabin. Just www.newclubworld.com and Premium Economy plus regular coach.

Plenty of military and cruise traffic, and it's a good alternative to the congestion involved in getting to LAX.

This was operated LHR-PHX-SAN on a 747, then direct to LGW on a BA 777 until 2003, and was only withdrawn post the 9/11 downturn, so there's obviously good historical data on the service.

It will be operated using BA's new "Mixed Fleet" which dramatically reduces the cost, while ensuring that the very latest service standards are delivered to passengers.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 12:47 pm
Company Representative - American Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by emma dog
::Sigh:: I guess I'll be the first one to ask what some of your bullets really mean.

Why the word codeshare? If I fly a BA plane operated as BA over, will I then have to book a BA flight number returning?
No, you will be able to choose an AA or Iberia operated flight. Many of the additional codeshares, such as those between the US and UK and the behind-and-beyond markets in the US and Europe, take effect as of Oct. 1 and more are expected to be added in the future. Codeshare is a term for the practice of multiple airlines selling space on the same flights, where a seat can be purchased on one airline but is actually operated by a cooperating airline under a different flight number or code. So you could be on aa.com booking a flight from JFK to London-Heathrow and you would see flight choices from AA and BA. You could choose the AA operated flight over to the UK and for the return flight you could choose a BA operated flight if it was more convenient or less expensive.

Will follow with answers to your other questions soon!

Stephen @ AA
Old Oct 6, 2010, 12:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hillrider
Thank you for doing so and for your honesty. I understand that you are in an official presence so you won't be able to deal in rumors

An addendum/related question: currently AA, IB and BA transatlantic fares are separate, different, and often prohibit travel on codeshares (i.e. you cannot book an BA-operated AA transatlantic codeshare on the IRHOL-type AA fares, preventing the mix and match that you cited in your post).

Do you have a date for when unified, identical, mix-match AA/IB/BA transatlantic fares are going to replace today's mish-mash of fares?

Thanks
Many of the additional codeshares, such as those between the US and UK and the behind-and-beyond markets in the US and Europe, take effect as of Oct. 1 and more are expected to be added in the future.

Hope this helps!

Stephen @ AA
Old Oct 6, 2010, 12:52 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
Originally Posted by JDiver
OTOH, LAX-MAD on an Iberia A340 will be pretty nice, with great connections and, at least in the past, decent fares to boot. Add AA or the IB codeshare from SFO and you get those extra miles (we variably use AA or the IB codeshare SFO-ORD to connect to ORD-MAD, but LAX is so much more convenient, generally bad weather-free, and a longer flight to enjoy some decent vino and a good sleep).
But no upgrade without full Y.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 1:12 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by AmericanAirlines
No, you will be able to choose an AA or Iberia operated flight.
(snip)
So you could be on aa.com booking a flight from JFK to London-Heathrow and you would see flight choices from AA and BA. You could choose the AA operated flight over to the UK and for the return flight you could choose a BA operated flight if it was more convenient or less expensive.
Stephen, apologies for being dense, but I'm still confused whether you mean that we will be able to mix and match AA & BA coded flights on the same fare, or that AA, BA, and IB will each have their codes on transatlantic flights operated by each carrier?

e.g. BA flight 112 JFK-LHR also has an AA codeshare as AA 6133.

If I want to take that flight over to LHR, returning on an AA operated flight (e.g. AA 105), what will my ticket have to look like?

Is this a valid combination:

BA 112 JFK - LHR
AA 105 LHR - JFK

Or would I have to book either:

BA 112 JFK-LHR
BA 1506 LHR-JFK (which is actually AA 105)

or similarly

AA 6133 JFK - LHR (which is BA 112)
AA 105 LHR - JFK

Thanks!
Old Oct 6, 2010, 1:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by emma dog
::Sigh:: I guess I'll be the first one to ask what some of your bullets really mean.

-Does this mean I get three bags flying F from TPA-ORD?
-What if I am upgraded?
-What if I am on the waitlist and get upgraded at the gate? Do I get a refund?
-What about elite baggage allowances? Does this change?
-And to make sure, you're saying that a passenger in F (even if domestic) is allowed to send up to 70 lbs for free?
- Yes this means if you’re flying first or business between TPA and ORD you can check three bags free.

- If you have received a confirmed upgrade to a Premium cabin prior to your initial bag check-in, then you will receive the increased allowance of 3 bags, with the heavy charge waived if any of the pieces are 50-70lbs. If you, however, are unable to confirm the upgrade prior to your initial bag check-in, and are only placed on a standby upgrade list, then you will only be eligible for the standard baggage allowance dependant on your frequent flier status and/or ticket.

- If you are not eligible for the increased allowance at initial bag check-in, AA will not be processing refunds if you are upgraded from a waitlist at the gate.

- At this time, no changes to the elite frequent flier baggage allowances have been made.

- Yes, for long-haul premium cabin customers traveling on AA/BA/IB customers can now check three bags and yes the heavy bag charge For bags weighing between 50 and 70 Lbs will be waived.

Happy to answer any more questions you have!!

Stephen @ AA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.