Wiki Posts
Search

Trading for AAdvantage miles on Points.com

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2010, 4:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Continental Onepass, American AAdvantage, Hyatt
Trading for AAdvantage miles on Points.com

Tried to do a search for this, but couldn't find any thread's on the subject. I have about 100,000 miles left in my Continental Onepass account. I'm flying from DFW-BOS-LAX in about two weeks and was trying to trade 15,000 miles from Continental over to American so I could upgrade the outbound flights. Anybody have any experience on that site? Seems just like the blind leading the blind over there.
Old Sep 18, 2010, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
It will not be a 1:1 exchange if it is even possible. Substantially less, in fact.
Old Sep 18, 2010, 5:56 pm

Programs: Lifetime AA Gold-1MM
Using the Point Converter here: http://www.insideflyer.com/tools/mil...rter/index.php, it looks like you can get 9,000 AA miles for your 15,000 CO miles going through other programs. You'll need to convert 25,000 CO miles to get 15,000 AA miles.
Old Sep 18, 2010, 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by BLI-Flyer
Using the Point Converter here: http://www.insideflyer.com/tools/mil...rter/index.php, it looks like you can get 9,000 AA miles for your 15,000 CO miles going through other programs. You'll need to convert 25,000 CO miles to get 15,000 AA miles.
According to points.com you cannot exchange out of Continental. It's highly unlikely you're going to get the multistep transfer referenced above completed in time to upgrade your upcoming flights. points.com trading options (i.e. end-user to end-user) seem possible, but it's going to cost you $10 for every 1,000 CO miles you give up. I've seen complaints about the web site and trade execution, but have no first hand experience.

Last edited by starflyer; Sep 18, 2010 at 6:24 pm
Old Sep 18, 2010, 9:53 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2.7 MM, DL GLD, UA Prem, BW Diamond, PC PLT, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by cody77
Tried to do a search for this, but couldn't find any thread's on the subject. I have about 100,000 miles left in my Continental Onepass account. I'm flying from DFW-BOS-LAX in about two weeks and was trying to trade 15,000 miles from Continental over to American so I could upgrade the outbound flights. Anybody have any experience on that site? Seems just like the blind leading the blind over there.
I just did one of these in the last 48 hours so fire away. Just got my Aa miles today.

You have two methods you can use, depending on the individual airlines involved. With aa and continental you are correct in trying to "trade miles" you can not exchange between the two programs but, you can trade.

There are two ways you can do this. By accepting a trade already posted, pay the fee , about $10 per 1K miles and the miles will be in your bank in about 3 days. Or post a trade your self. The value and trade ratio are market vale and AA caps trades at 15K inbound to your account. If I were you I would not trade at anything less than 1:1.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask. I will be glad to give you first hand current experience.
Old Sep 18, 2010, 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by starflyer
According to points.com you cannot exchange out of Continental. It's highly unlikely you're going to get the multistep transfer referenced above completed in time to upgrade your upcoming flights. points.com trading options (i.e. end-user to end-user) seem possible, but it's going to cost you $10 for every 1,000 CO miles you give up. I've seen complaints about the web site and trade execution, but have no first hand experience.
The above information is not applicable. The Op was asking about a trade not an exchange. That is a totally different process. Once a trade is accepted it only takes a few days to get the miles. I think you did not understand what the user is asking or how points.com works. If the Op finds or has a trade for 15K AA miles and accepts or has their post accepted the miles post to the AA account in a few days. I did a trade for 15K AA miles Thursday morning and got my AA miles posted in 48 hours. There is no multistep transfer process, the trade is akin to e-bay, you find what you want or trade what you want the fee is taken out and in a few days you have the miles, very easy stuff. Yes, You can trade out of Continental the only limit in your case will be the 15K max for trades into AA (IE only 15K into an AA account per year. The limit on the trade out from Continental is much higher. )
Old Sep 18, 2010, 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by vasantn
It will not be a 1:1 exchange if it is even possible. Substantially less, in fact.
It will be if someone is willing to trade the OP on a 1:1 basis. Sometimes you can do even better that 1:1, it depends on what trades have been offered or how badly someone want CO miles and does not want AA miles.
Old Sep 19, 2010, 9:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by shadesofgrey1x
I just did one of these in the last 48 hours so fire away. Just got my Aa miles today.

You have two methods you can use, depending on the individual airlines involved. With aa and continental you are correct in trying to "trade miles" you can not exchange between the two programs but, you can trade.

There are two ways you can do this. By accepting a trade already posted, pay the fee , about $10 per 1K miles and the miles will be in your bank in about 3 days. Or post a trade your self. The value and trade ratio are market vale and AA caps trades at 15K inbound to your account. If I were you I would not trade at anything less than 1:1.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask. I will be glad to give you first hand current experience.
Thanks for all the information. On the trading and exchanging page, I don't think I've ever seen a fair trade ratio of 1:1. But when you sign in on the home page (towards the bottom) are people who post "Earning Opportunities". They post a message saying they need xxx miles and are willing to trade for xxx miles. Usually those are on a 1:1 ratio. It seems there is no way to do the trade without e-mailing these people though. I'm just wondering if the trading is done through the points.com site, or do I e-mail these people and we trade points by ourselves (like I go to Continental and put my miles in whoevers Onepass account, while the other person goes and puts their miles in my AAdvantage account.) I'm really not comfortable with the latter idea.
Also, does the 15,000 miles cap apply to just exchanging miles with other AAdvantage members, or does it apply to purchasing miles also?
Old Sep 19, 2010, 9:47 am

Programs: AA,CX, BA, Priority Club, SPG, Hilton
Also, does the 15,000 miles cap apply to just exchanging miles with other AAdvantage members, or does it apply to purchasing miles also?
One can only accept 15K mile per year. However, one can buy up to 40K miles per mile, with current promotion, you can actually get 52K miles. I remember last year, they bump up the limit to 60K mile & 20K miles bonus, however, it's only valid during promotion time.
Old Sep 19, 2010, 10:24 am

Thanks for all the information. On the trading and exchanging page, I don't think I've ever seen a fair trade ratio of 1:1. But when you sign in on the home page (towards the bottom) are people who post "Earning Opportunities". They post a message saying they need xxx miles and are willing to trade for xxx miles. Usually those are on a 1:1 ratio. It seems there is no way to do the trade without e-mailing these people though. I'm just wondering if the trading is done through the points.com site, or do I e-mail these people and we trade points by ourselves (like I go to Continental and put my miles in whoevers Onepass account, while the other person goes and puts their miles in my AAdvantage account.) I'm really not comfortable with the latter idea.
You can get a 1:1 but they go fast. I got a 1:1 myself, and it was for Delta miles and I got AA (good bargain on my part as Skypesos are the lowest valued thing I have ever seen), when I traded. just keep looking or post a 1:1 yourself. You can trade by creating a post yourself. Some of those people who are blogging appear to be wanting to barter for miles off site. depending on how they do it you may be violating the T&Cs of one or both of the programs. Stick to the points.com accept a trade post a trade system.

Last edited by shadesofgrey1x; Sep 19, 2010 at 10:29 am Reason: hit send button too fast
Old Sep 19, 2010, 10:39 am

Programs: Persona Non-Status, DYKWIA Club President, Formerly of Pa Kettle Fame
It will be if someone is willing to trade the OP on a 1:1 basis. Sometimes you can do even better that 1:1, it depends on what trades have been offered or how badly someone want CO miles and does not want AA miles.
IIRC, This is where CO really sucks. AA people can gift miles to friends/family free of cost. CO customers incur a cost for this.
Old Sep 19, 2010, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by CRAZYBUBBA
IIRC, This is where CO really sucks. AA people can gift miles to friends/family free of cost. CO customers incur a cost for this.
Not correct AA charges for this:

https://buy.points.com/AAdvantage/in...ktgPgGiftSep10
Old Sep 19, 2010, 11:02 am
Original Poster

You can get a 1:1 but they go fast. I got a 1:1 myself, and it was for Delta miles and I got AA (good bargain on my part as Skypesos are the lowest valued thing I have ever seen), when I traded. just keep looking or post a 1:1 yourself. You can trade by creating a post yourself. Some of those people who are blogging appear to be wanting to barter for miles off site. depending on how they do it you may be violating the T&Cs of one or both of the programs. Stick to the points.com accept a trade post a trade system.
I guess they must go quickly, because I've never seen one. Was looking today and there was a trade posted at 29,000 Onepass miles for 1,000 AAdvantage miles. Who would accept that offer? I really don't have a lot of time and would like to try to make a trade today. It takes three days to be put in your account so, at the least, it's going to be Wens. before I can even request the upgrade. That will be a week before my flight. I hope there are still upgradeable seats. As of Friday there were.
Old Sep 19, 2010, 12:51 pm

Programs: Persona Non-Status, DYKWIA Club President, Formerly of Pa Kettle Fame
AA charges you to buy new miles, not transfer those that you already have earned. For a straight transfer CO charges $7.50 per 500 miles as per the info I had read last week. Is it actually free?

Edit: I stand corrected. (See the next post)

Last edited by CRAZYBUBBA; Sep 19, 2010 at 1:07 pm
Old Sep 19, 2010, 1:00 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Emerald Exec., PC Plat, AA, CO, DL, UBS Charter Card, Palladium Card, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by CRAZYBUBBA
AA charges you to buy new miles, not transfer those that you already have earned. For a straight transfer CO charges $7.50 per 500 miles as per the info I had read last week. Is it actually free?
Where do you see this? I see under "shareAAmiles" it is $150(Plus $30 transaction fee per transaction) per 15,000 miles transfered up to 60k a year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.