Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fees and baggage interlining - a total mess nowadays?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2010, 2:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by HNL
[SIZE=1]
You given the correct info in HAM by all the BA staff and succeded wasting 90 min of your own time and furthered the sterotype of the ugly American. You were granted a favor in LHR..
Indeed; being granted a favour once does not make it policy; BA staff were indeed correct in their handling of the passenger and suffered 90 minutes of hassle for it
Old Aug 30, 2010, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
It is consistent; the rules are the same for all passengers whether they have status or not

if checking in with BA, then BA's allowances apply , check in with QF, QF allowances apply etc
Can you please point out where these rules are written?

Your statement is in direct conflict with the post #12 (two before yours), in which I state, quoting what AA publishes, that there are no rules, so I would like to update my knowledge.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 5:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP/OW Emerald
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
It is consistent; the rules are the same for all passengers whether they have status or not

if checking in with BA, then BA's allowances apply , check in with QF, QF allowances apply etc

AA happens to allow those with OW status to check 2 bags in for free but that is just an AA exception; if wanting consistency, just getting that changed would do it
This is how I've seen and experienced it before too. Your policy you get hit with seems to be with whom you check your bags (although there is nothing written). This will typically be your first flight, although if you can't get your bags all the way through and have to re-check with another airline part way, be prepared to play by that airline's rules. Anything else is an exception.

AA is the only carrier where I have seen in writing that they will apply their baggage rules to OW elites in addition to their own. I say kudos to AA, although as AA fliers here it isn't any advantage that we'll experience.

It is kind of like advanced seat selection where it can vary across carrier as it is not a defined OW standard.
Old Aug 31, 2010, 9:49 am

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by HNL
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

You were given the correct info in HAM by all the BA staff and succeed wasting 90 min of your own time and furthered the stereotype of the ugly American. You were granted a favor in LHR.

I don't like the crazy mixed up policy, but the check-in staff are not the ones to yell at.

1. AA BusinessExtraa says i Should have been given 2 bag allowance..and sent me a travel voucher/refund.

2. According the AA website- 2 Bags allowed for travel to/from Europe under the following exceptions:

The following passengers will be allowed a 1st and/or 2nd checked bag at no additional charge provided it falls within the size and weight limitations:

* For tickets purchased on or after September 14, 2009, customers traveling to, from, or through an international destination that does not include Europe or India
* Customers traveling to, from, or through Mexico if the ticket was purchased before May 3, 2010
* Customers who purchase full-fare tickets in Economy Class
* Customers who purchase Business or First Class tickets
* Customers flying on AA codeshare flights not operated by American Airlines, American Eagle or AmericanConnection (operating carrier baggage allowance and charges will apply)
* Active U.S. Military personnel traveling on orders or personal travel
* Active U.S. Military dependents traveling on orders
* American Airlines AAdvantage Executive Platinum, AAdvantage Platinum or AAdvantage Gold members
* oneworld Alliance Emerald, Sapphire or Ruby members
* Customers flying on the same reservation as an American Airlines AAdvantage Executive Platinum, AAdvantage Platinum or AAdvantage Gold member or oneworld Alliance Emerald, Sapphire or Ruby member regardless of frequent flier status or fare type (not applicable to group bookings)
* First and Business Class MileSAAver Awards
* First, Business and Economy Class AAnytime Awards
* First and Business Class upgrades confirmed prior to check in

I sent an email to AA customer service to further clarify.... curious to see what they say..

Thanks for your response.. good stuff..
Old Aug 31, 2010, 10:06 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by holbiho

2. According the AA website- 2 Bags allowed for travel to/from Europe under the following exceptions:

The following passengers will be allowed a 1st and/or 2nd checked bag at no additional charge provided it falls within the size and weight limitations:

* Customers flying on AA codeshare flights not operated by American Airlines, American Eagle or AmericanConnection (operating carrier baggage allowance and charges will apply)

Thanks for your response.. good stuff..
Note that all the rules you posted are for travel on AA metal. Note the one that I extracted indicating that the operating carrier's baggage charges apply when not on AA metal. It seems that this was the rule that was used in your case.

Writing is a great idea, though, as having official rules written somewhere would be very nice (I'm not holding my breath).

Cheers.

Last edited by brp; Aug 31, 2010 at 10:16 am
Old Aug 31, 2010, 10:12 am

Programs: I've gone underground!
Holbiho, why do you think AA's rules apply to your BA flight?

I can give you another example of operating carrier rules prevailing... PSC-SEA-DFW. PSC-SEA is an AA codeshare on QX (AS). SEA-DFW is on AA. If you check luggage DFW-PSC, it's free as an elite. If you check luggage from PSC-DFW, you pay AS's rates. This is a pretty well known fact on Flyertalk.
Old Aug 31, 2010, 11:11 am

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by emma dog
Holbiho, why do you think AA's rules apply to your BA flight?

I can give you another example of operating carrier rules prevailing... PSC-SEA-DFW. PSC-SEA is an AA codeshare on QX (AS). SEA-DFW is on AA. If you check luggage DFW-PSC, it's free as an elite. If you check luggage from PSC-DFW, you pay AS's rates. This is a pretty well known fact on Flyertalk.
ok appreciate your post.. ... i think the issue is confusing and thats why i posted in the first place.

It may be very clear for you... and thats good for you..

Had a few people tell me different-- and some are right and some are wrong..

I didnt know...and thus learning from other posters experiences..

thanks
Old Aug 31, 2010, 1:25 pm

Programs: I've gone underground!
Originally Posted by holbiho
ok appreciate your post.. ... i think the issue is confusing and thats why i posted in the first place.

It may be very clear for you... and thats good for you..

Had a few people tell me different-- and some are right and some are wrong..

I didnt know...and thus learning from other posters experiences..

thanks
I hope you understand that I'm not being critical of you... I'm simply asking a question to understand your thought process which concluded that you were entitled to free checked baggage. It's very possible that you are aware of information that others are not aware... i.e. a recent policy change.

AFAICT, you are subject to BA's rules when checking in at BA on the return which means that you should be subject to paying the baggage fee and the refund that you are receiving is either a mistake or a favor on AA's part.

I'm not sure what you mean by the statement I put in BOLD above. Can you please explain further?
Old Sep 1, 2010, 4:22 pm

Programs: AA PLT
I couldn't get on a direct MAN-ORD or MAN-JFK flight, so I'm flying this itinerary as an EXP:

MAN-LHR (BA operated, AA codeshare) connecting to:

LHR-ORD-YYZ

So my understanding is BA will be entitled to charge me for my second bag for MAN-LHR, even though the bags will be interlined to AA who have a two bag allowance?! If BA doesn't charge me, it's only because it's a favour - not an entitlement, right?

The alternative is to store the bags overnight at T3 (I'm taking a train to MAN the day before my MAN-LHR-ORD-YYZ flight), then exit arrivals at T5, transfer to T3, reclaim and check my bags (free two bag allowance), then check-in again at T3. I'll have to pay !6 for overnight storage at T3, but it's a lot less aggravation, and potentially quite a bit cheaper than the excess payment BA might charge me in MAN. With first-class check-in and Fast Track, it shouldn't take too long.

Is this an accurate summary?
Old Oct 20, 2010, 2:22 am

Programs: One Pass, BAEC, AA
After doing a search and coming across this thread I am none the wiser - so trust the good people on FT might be able to help me out.

My mom is flying AA JFK-LHR Business Class Award, so she will be allowed 2 bags free of charge.

She will stay in London a few days then take a train from London to Manchester (as a side note Virgin trains are very good with helping people with luggage who do require help, as my mom is 75 yrs old).

Now comes the issue:

Her return trip is also an award flying MAN-LHR (British Airways) then LHR-JFK (AA) - due to award availability (just after the New Year) - the only award available was ECONOMY with only one bag allowed free.

The question is - will she have to pay for a second bag on the return flight OR will she be entitled to the Business allowance as it's all on the same reservation?

British Airways rule is:

What is my allowance?

Travelling in more than one cabin

If you are travelling in more than one cabin, e.g. outbound in economy and return in business class ( mom is doing the opposite) YOU WILL BE GIVEN THE MORE GENEROUS ALLOWANCE FOR THE WHOLE JOURNEY.

It's an AA award ticket, but she will be checking in with BA - so would the BA rules apply?

Your considered opinions are welcomed.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 3:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Your ticketed allowance for BA can be found by using BA's check my trip and will be what they charge on

The ticketed allowance for the economy booking is 1 piece, so can expect to be charged for the 2nd piece

Dave
Old Oct 20, 2010, 4:28 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by forextrader
If you are travelling in more than one cabin, e.g. outbound in economy and return in business class ( mom is doing the opposite) YOU WILL BE GIVEN THE MORE GENEROUS ALLOWANCE FOR THE WHOLE JOURNEY.
This rule applies for BA operated flights only.

However, there is also evidence that if your ticket specifically states that you are allowed two bags BA will honour it. Do ask AA to put a note in your mother's booking that she is allowed 2 bags.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 7:21 am

Programs: back to AA PLT, 1.6+MM
Originally Posted by HNL
You were given the correct info in HAM by all the BA staff and succeed wasting 90 min of your own time and furthered the stereotype of the ugly American. You were granted a favor in LHR.
And all for a measely 48 Euros at that.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 8:53 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, 6.0 MM, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by forextrader

My mom is flying AA JFK-LHR Business Class Award, so she will be allowed 2 bags free of charge.

Three bags now, although it's not relevant to your question.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.