Wiki Posts
Search

Stingy with the Glenlivet

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2010, 1:07 pm

Programs: AA ExPLT, Bonvoy Titanium, Amex PLT, Hertz GLD, National EX
Originally Posted by dayone
So there are vodka snobs now?

AA serving an American vodka has a certain harmony.
Anyone who's drank one-too-many vodka cocktails made with Skyy quickly becomes a vodka snob. Same for Absolut and Smirnoff. Hmmm.. Ok, fine.. I'm a vodka snob
Old Mar 3, 2010, 1:10 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by cyncyn129
Anyone who's drank one-too-many vodka cocktails made with Skyy quickly becomes a vodka snob. Same for Absolut and Smirnoff. Hmmm.. Ok, fine.. I'm a vodka snob
After you've had one too many, I don't think the brand of the vodka matters all that much

Cheers.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 10:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by brp
After you've had one too many, I don't think the brand of the vodka matters all that much
I didn't realize the brand of Vodka ever mattered.

While we're on this topic, does anyone find it odd that AA and Eagle doesn't offer the same alcohol selections. On my last Eagle flight both Tanqueray and Chivas 12 were offered. In my experience, most regional carriers - except for AE - tend match their parent carriers offerings.

-FlyerBeek
Old Mar 4, 2010, 12:42 am

Programs: back to AA PLT, 1.6+MM
Originally Posted by dayone
So there are vodka snobs now.
You think you spirits guys have it bad? Imagine coming from the Beer Snob capital of the U.S., and having to deal with the swill they call beer on AA (with the very notable exception of the Fullers on LHR flights). The one good thing about those times I have to fly AS is the Alaska Amber they serve on their flights.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 3:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by PDX-PLT
You think you spirits guys have it bad? Imagine coming from the Beer Snob capital of the U.S., and having to deal with the swill they call beer on AA (with the very notable exception of the Fullers on LHR flights). The one good thing about those times I have to fly AS is the Alaska Amber they serve on their flights.
Hey now... AS has several good offerings with beverages ^ (especially on flights to/from Hawaii - gotta love Johnny Love Aloha Vodka )

But the Amber is a nice beverage, but so are the White and Winter (Thankfully the ANC BR has them on tap, at least seasonally)
Old Mar 4, 2010, 6:25 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Five Star, Avis First
Originally Posted by PDX-PLT
You think you spirits guys have it bad? Imagine coming from the Beer Snob capital of the U.S., and having to deal with the swill they call beer on AA (with the very notable exception of the Fullers on LHR flights).
What is the "Beer Snob" capital of the US? In Texas we believe that is Austin with its fantastic microbreweries and the fact that Shiner is served in ALL the restaurants.

I think Austin should have that title although Boston can with some justification show its heritage in this regard.

Denver is just a newbie in the Beer Snob race...

So, for the sake of harmony let us state Austin is number one and Texas is number one. As long as we all agree on these two facts, there will be world peace
Old Mar 4, 2010, 6:39 am

Originally Posted by FlyerBeek

While we're on this topic, does anyone find it odd that AA and Eagle doesn't offer the same alcohol selections. On my last Eagle flight both Tanqueray and Chivas 12 were offered. In my experience, most regional carriers - except for AE - tend match their parent carriers offerings.

-FlyerBeek
Chivas has been discontinued, very sadly so You may have found one of the few lone survivors from the good old days.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 6:45 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by panjabi
What is the "Beer Snob" capital of the US? In Texas we believe that is Austin with its fantastic microbreweries and the fact that Shiner is served in ALL the restaurants.

I think Austin should have that title although Boston can with some justification show its heritage in this regard.

Denver is just a newbie in the Beer Snob race...

So, for the sake of harmony let us state Austin is number one and Texas is number one. As long as we all agree on these two facts, there will be world peace
panjabi, ever been to NXNW on Cap.of TX HWY? Great home brews, and especially on cask night (last Monday of the month)
Old Mar 4, 2010, 6:52 am

Originally Posted by vrbaba
Chivas has been discontinued, very sadly so You may have found one of the few lone survivors from the good old days.
On all of my MIA-NAS trips I get offered Chivas. They dont carry Glenlivet so I think it is one or the other not both

Granted my last trip was a month ago but their "premium" scotch was Chivas

I have a feeling that Eagle has Chivas only and not Glenlivet
Old Mar 4, 2010, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by Howgart
Last week in BA F from LHR-BLR...one of the choices was JW Blue...I asked for a glass...it was a very generous serving in a (rather large) water tumbler! That was a lot of scotch (didn't stop me from having a second though! Was also asked if I wanted a third after that, but just begged for mercy instead.)
Walker Blue, for real? This post alone is enough to send me running to sign up pets and houseplants for that BA Visa offer...

And single malt snobs be dammed, JW Blue stands up to just about anything. Not the same, but not worse. IMHO.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by edwin_p_morales
Walker Blue, for real? This post alone is enough to send me running to sign up pets and houseplants for that BA Visa offer...

And single malt snobs be dammed, JW Blue stands up to just about anything. Not the same, but not worse. IMHO.
I agree. Look at my post above. JW Blue holds up well to 18 year Single Malts. It is different in the way a BMW 760iL is different from a Mercedes S Class. Both great cars but different. Same with a 18 year old malt and JW Blue.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 10:08 am

LH F also serves JW Blue (good use of those US miles). On a different note, Glenlivet was still available last night on AA1595. I ended up having both.

Last edited by docr775; Mar 4, 2010 at 10:31 am
Old Mar 4, 2010, 10:32 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by panjabi
I agree. Look at my post above. JW Blue holds up well to 18 year Single Malts. It is different in the way a BMW 760iL is different from a Mercedes S Class. Both great cars but different. Same with a 18 year old malt and JW Blue.
I guess a Porsche Carrera is the Macallan 21?

Cheers.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 11:00 am

Programs: King of Rental Cars, BA Gold, Virgin Gold, AA MM Gold, A3 Gold, SK Gold, Hotel SuperElite
Wirelessly posted (FlyerTalk.com/wap is fun : Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.0.1; en-us; Droid Build/ESD56) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17)

Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
Originally Posted by brp

-FlyerBeek
American Eagle does also codeshare for DL and iirc CO. This is a key differentiator vs all the other regionals who only codeshare within their alliance.

Last edited by Mrp Alert; Mar 4, 2010 at 11:02 am
Old Mar 4, 2010, 11:23 am

Yup, just had that last week in BA F.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.