Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement / DOJ Action Discussion (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: My opinion of the announced AA - US merger is:
This is the best of all possible worlds; great idea!
3.93%
This portends a stronger airline, with some changes for all
22.88%
I am neutral - pros and cons for all
23.72%
I think this is a somewhat bad idea with some real challenges
26.94%
I am completely opposed to this merger; terrible idea!
22.53%
Voters: 839. You may not vote on this poll

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement / DOJ Action Discussion (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2013, 3:37 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Probably a dumb question but the will the merger effect new planes coming on board in 2013 for AA?

SIAP but saw this article today on yahoo.com.

http://www.business2community.com/br...-right-0415441
Old Feb 22, 2013, 4:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
Originally Posted by apodo77
Probably a dumb question but the will the merger effect new planes coming on board in 2013 for AA?

No that site your using for info is crap. All of the AA deliveries for 2013 are fully financed and approved by the BK court so those are a done deal. Now later years once they are merged who knows what could happen for deliveries. 2013 is pretty much done.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by apodo77

The new single-aisle planes pay for themselves in fuel savings at today's prices, so unless Parker sees fuel prices dropping, he probably won't cancel the orders. The widebodies are for international expansion, and of all the airlines, US (with the lowest international revenue percentage of the legacies) management knows how important it is for AA-US to grow internationally.

The article you linked contained this gem:

Speaking of culture, it sounds like USAirways, while accustomed to acquisitions, has a mess of a culture. That toxic environment will combine with the American culture, and then you’ll have an even bigger mess. 1.2 million people (combined number of employees) worth of bigger mess. And you think you’ve seen some cranky agents and flight attendants before?!
1.2 million employees? Nope - that's about 12 times too high. AA-US combined have about 100k employees.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by FWAAA
The new single-aisle planes pay for themselves in fuel savings at today's prices, so unless Parker sees fuel prices dropping, he probably won't cancel the orders. The widebodies are for international expansion, and of all the airlines, US (with the lowest international revenue percentage of the legacies) management knows how important it is for AA-US to grow internationally.

The article you linked contained this gem:

1.2 million employees? Nope - that's about 12 times too high. AA-US combined have about 100k employees.
I told the poster their source was crap. It's amusing they couldn't figure that out for themselves.

That said i haven't really seen much evidence the wide body order other then a few 77Ws are for international expansion. It's mostly fleet replacement with the 787 and who knows when those will arrive at this point. The narrow bodies seem more the target of expansion given all the orders and options.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 8:43 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I voted for the second choice from the top and therefore I plan to be cautiously optimistic about this. I think it might mean the removal of the nearby CLT hub for me and it will undoubtedly lead to higher airfares, especially as US Airways is consistently one of the cheapest carriers from RDU, especially last minute, but I also think back on the NW-DL merger which was beneficial to me so I'm going to go into this with an open mind.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 11:34 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by LAXJFKesq
I am not sure how anyone can achieve EXP only spending $3/4K per year? As someone who does a combo between business and personal, between LAX and JFK each week, it seems very unlikely.
Originally Posted by canyonleo
I questioned it too, but see ambraciot's post 888 - it's very possible... do a MR of 8 segments at $150 all in... do 13 of those and one makes EXP by doing over 100 segments for less than $2k (and not using 2009 fares/promos). So, it's very possible, for a MRer type flyer, that obsesses in searching out quirk/mistake/IT-overlooked itineraries that offer crazy low cpms, to hit EXP for around $2k. I (even as a EQP qualifier in recent years) am a believer.
With all the double and triple EQM promotions that AA ran in 2012 it was not too difficult to obtain EXP for under 4k, mainly by flying $300 transcons. Extensive mileage running and multiple trip routing was not even necessary.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by CMK10
I voted for the second choice from the top and therefore I plan to be cautiously optimistic about this. I think it might mean the removal of the nearby CLT hub for me and it will undoubtedly lead to higher airfares, especially as US Airways is consistently one of the cheapest carriers from RDU, especially last minute, but I also think back on the NW-DL merger which was beneficial to me so I'm going to go into this with an open mind.
So nwa.com wasn't better than DL.dumb?
Old Feb 23, 2013, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
So nwa.com wasn't better than DL.dumb?
. . . and SkyPesos are actually worth anything???????
Old Feb 23, 2013, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by terminator33
With all the double and triple EQM promotions that AA ran in 2012 it was not too difficult to obtain EXP for under 4k, mainly by flying $300 transcons. Extensive mileage running and multiple trip routing was not even necessary.
Hopefully those days are over.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 10:36 am

Programs: AAdvantage, CK, 4 MM; Marriott Lifetime PLT
Originally Posted by terminator33
Ok. Although I only recall two promotions in 2012 that credited EQM -- in the early part of last year (IIRC, Jan 2012?) and after AA's pilots acting like children causing delays and flight cancellations. I believe you and the others. Obviously, due to the responses/posts, others can obtain EXP by only spending $3/4K per year. I wish I could say that was the case for me. It's not; not even in the ballpark.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 10:41 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Those of us at SFO that flew SFO-ORD RTs in January of last year got triple EQM (roughly 9 trips at $200 or less gave you 100K). I requalified on February 1 and ended the year with 155K EQM with other flying past February.

Tom in Salzburg
Old Feb 23, 2013, 10:42 am

Possible union issues @ the New AA

Say it ain't so. If this great airline fails given the work by Horton to restructure AA, I will blame AA's unions, and only AA's unions.

American, US Airways unions still have lots to settle

Posted Saturday, Feb. 23, 2013

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/2013/02...#storylink=cpy

The day American Airlines and US Airways announced their merger proposal, their union leaders smiled and shook hands with airline executives and one another.

Some union presidents, including those who represent American's pilots, flight attendants and ground workers, had advocated for a merger of the carriers for months, even signing conditional labor agreements with US Airways executives in April.

Others, such as US Airways' pilots and flight attendant leaders, got involved in the discussions later but willingly signed memorandums of understanding to help ease the integration.

But despite the hugs and good will exchanged when the merger was announced Feb. 13, challenges lie ahead for the unions. Seniority integration lists need to be crafted. Workers must decide which union they want to represent them in contract talks with the merged carrier.

"We're not going to see how amicable this merger is for a few more years, when the difficult questions come," said Gary Chaison, professor of labor relations at Clark University in Massachusetts.

And if the unions, along with airline management, can't solve these issues in a timely fashion, that could limit the financial benefits touted by AMR CEO Tom Horton and US Airways CEO Doug Parker.

"Union issues have to be put away if American is going to be successful going into the future," airline industry consultant Darryl Jenkins said.

AMR has 54,700 unionized workers. US Airways has 30,260.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by tom911
Those of us at SFO that flew SFO-ORD RTs in January of last year got triple EQM (roughly 9 trips at $200 or less gave you 100K). I requalified on February 1 and ended the year with 155K EQM with other flying past February.

Tom in Salzburg
But where do you find the time to make those mileage runs that would requalify you in just one month? I have been EXP for the past decade so I thought I was pretty familiar with AA's ff program given my status and 4 MM. Obviously, not.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 12:22 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 60K "old miles"
Commercial spoof

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ta8JyRfPW4M

Last edited by bubba198; Feb 23, 2013 at 12:23 pm Reason: add comment
Old Feb 23, 2013, 3:45 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by LAXJFKesq
But where do you find the time to make those mileage runs that would requalify you in just one month?
Same reason I can go to Europe for weeks at a time: retirement! Check my current trip report as I travel in Germany and Austria.

Tom in Salzburg where it's snowing

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.