Wiki Posts
Search

Downgraded food and service in business class

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2009, 7:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Honors Diamond, Starwood Platinum Preferred
Originally Posted by mcg1000
But I love those bread sticks.
Me too! I will be sorely disappointed in August when I travel LAX/NRT if they are not there. I know it is silly, but it is one of my favorite things about the flight.
Old Jun 21, 2009, 10:31 pm

Programs: NH Super Flyer (*G), Eurostar Carte Blanche, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Accor ALL Gold
Originally Posted by ll22949
Me too! I will be sorely disappointed in August when I travel LAX/NRT if they are not there. I know it is silly, but it is one of my favorite things about the flight.
If they are not there, could you please write a letter to ANA? I probably won't fly ANA business until September, but will write a stiff letter if my flight is breadstick-free. Only if enough people write letters will they return.
Old Jun 22, 2009, 7:51 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Not a regular NH flyer (mostly flying LH) but a few days ago I ended up flying FRA-NRT in NH Business following a mis-connect.

The food was not as good as I had expected and was on a par with Business class food on LH which has been somewhat on the decline recently. I must agree with Flyingfox about the slowness of the service. We took off about 9PM and the meal service did not finish until after midnight. I could have done without the "upgraded" amuse bouche and would have been happy with just a packet of smoken nuts or breadsticks. The Club ANA section was full and I could only get my third meal choice of an uninspiring dry piece of pan-fried beef tenderloin.

I was surprised there was no second meal service but only light meals which one could order anytime after the first meal. I needed some sleep so waited until lights came on 2.5 hr before landing and nearly didn't get my warm onigiri with salmon and miso soup since they had to stop serving during turbulence over Hokkaido. When I did get it eventually it wasn't really worth waiting for.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 6:25 am

Programs: NH Super Flyer (*G), Eurostar Carte Blanche, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Accor ALL Gold
Originally Posted by ll22949
Seems (shorter) bread sticks are still on offer in first.
Old Jun 24, 2009, 12:09 am

Programs: Enough to travel better
Originally Posted by mcg1000
Please start a breadsticks thread. Preferably called "me likey breadsticks". Then we can all post about how much "we likey breadsticks".
May I suggest that you would get better attention by calling the thread "Bredustiksu wa daisuki nee...(We love breadsticks)

I am hoping that customers will provide feedback to ANA. This is troubling and potentially disappointing to what is/was arguably one of the world's best airlines.
Old Jun 25, 2009, 3:48 pm

Programs: Amex Centurion, United 1mm, AA 1mm
I flew several SFO-NRT trips in Business over the last few years, and have generally enjoyed the service.

My last trip in March left me with a not so great taste in my mouth, as it was very slow, and the food items were definitely not as good as before. I usually go for the Japanese course, and was treated to not very fresh sushi, which actually did a number on my stomach. =(
Old Jun 26, 2009, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
My last IAD-NRT flight only had 2 pax in F, so I'm not surprised they are going to 2-class on this route.
Old Jul 25, 2009, 8:36 am

No breadsticks updates in this thread recently. Disappointing.
Old Jul 25, 2009, 11:27 am

Just flew on NH 5 from Lax to NRT.. I never thought I would say this.. but in first class the food was very bad.. From the crab timbale, to the chicken tikka massala to the rigatoni with chicken bolognese.. This is been my first disappointment with NH first in many years.. Even, as the OP points out the amuse bouche was a joke...
Old Jul 25, 2009, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
It's a recession boys...and Japan has been pretty hard hit once again! Expense account opulence is one of the first victims and airlines are responding accordingly.
Old Jul 25, 2009, 8:26 pm

Programs: AC.SE
Originally Posted by RTW4
Just flew on NH 5 from Lax to NRT.. I never thought I would say this.. but in first class the food was very bad.. From the crab timbale, to the chicken tikka massala to the rigatoni with chicken bolognese.. This is been my first disappointment with NH first in many years...
Sorry to hear this. I have to say I've generally experienced more disappointments with the Western menu than the Japanese menu. In fact, apart from caviar and dessert, I'll probably stay with the Japanese options exclusively on future flights.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 6:23 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just flew (dare I say it) Y on ANA from Hongqiao to Haneda. There always used to be two entree choices in Y, now there is only one, some kind of mystery fish dish.

So the downgrades aren't just in business.

Yes, it is still way better than UA -- but getting less so.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 9:44 pm

Programs: Amex Centurion, United 1mm, AA 1mm
another flight...

and another disappointment. Just got back from NRT a few days ago. Has NH been giving out free upgrades? Business was FULL, and the service was very very slow. Throw in a few turbulence delays of service and dinner took about 4 hours. I have paid for C on NH many times including this, but I just don't think i'll do it again in the near future.
Old Jul 31, 2009, 2:57 am

Programs: ANA Diamond+SFC+1MM (NH*G), Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Penn Club of NY
I just did NH 5 on 7/8 and NH 6 on 7/23 both in C, and the wait time to get my Japanese meal was almost unbearable - I waited over 1 hour after they served the Signature Amuse!

I was seated in 3C and 5H, respectively and noticed that the middle, main cabin of C was being served before us! They've always served the forward mini-cabin first

It also seemed as they were releasing a lot of upgrades or perhaps operationals at the airport because C cabin on NH 6 on 7/23 was full - 2 days prior to my flight, C had 35 open seats. Yikes.
Old Jul 31, 2009, 9:27 pm
Original Poster

On the ORD-NRT portion of our flight, we were told by the agent at check-in that they had oversold Y by 28 passengers and had already upgraded 20-something to business. Ours had shown about 40 seats open in C a few days out, on the ANA website.

Starting to sound like United in more ways than one.............!

I think we will stick with JAL in the future - at least they are more consistent, and their new F cabin (suites) on the 777 is now better than ANA's F.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.